Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A quickie for a very slow day

Chapalahorn

I'll play:

The history of the middle finger

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as 'plucking the yew' (or 'pluck yew').

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and they began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew! Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute! It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as 'giving the bird.'

Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing.

I recently failed a Health and Safety course. One of the questions was "What steps would you take in the event of a fire?" Apparently "f##king big ones" was not the correct response.

the ones leading out of the building?

A drunk man, stumbling home, stops in front of a large Catholic Church. As he stopped and stared up at the large windows and beautiful steeple, he began to feel something stirring inside him. So the drunk stumbles into the church, not knowing what to expect, but knowing he needed to go inside. Perhaps salvation was awaiting him inside the church. As the drunk man entered into the church, he saw an open confessional off to the side, so he went in and sat down. Not knowing what else to do, the drunk just sat there, and almost immediately began to feel better. The priest on the other side of the booth, not knowing the drunk man had never given confession before, just coughed to let the man know he was there and ready to hear his confession. However, the drunk said nothing. So the Priest tried again and simply said, "yes my son." Still, nothing from the drunk man. The priest then tried a third time and knocked on the side wall of the confessional. Annoyed, the drunk simply replied, "you can bang on the door all you want, but there is no toilet paper over here either!!"

Sooooooo slow! JW, I went to Costco and bought brisket. I hope I make you proud with my 1st attempt at BBQ brisket! Just lots of salt and pepper right?

Good luck. Brisket is tough (or can be if you're not careful). It's about the only thing that still makes me a bit nervous coming off the smoker. If it's your first, don't invite anyone for dinner that you're desperately trying to impress...

Just my family. I'm thinking of BBQ on Friday since the weather is suppose to be really nice.

I'm still pretty clueless about the science of working the pit, but will live in learn.

Where do I buy wood? Home Depot?

And is it 60 minutes for every 1lb of meat? LOL... Temp should be round 225?

Will You Tube Franklin's BBQ and study the night before.

I'll play:

The history of the middle finger

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as 'plucking the yew' (or 'pluck yew').

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and they began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew! Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute! It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as 'giving the bird.'

Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing.

at least i know when i'm being plucking played, joey. i've got more than just your labiodental fricative hangin'.

in other words, that's just flucking fridiculous.

Sooooooo slow! JW, I went to Costco and bought brisket. I hope I make you proud with my 1st attempt at BBQ brisket! Just lots of salt and pepper right?
I use a rub mix of 45% cracked or coarse black pepper, (whichever I can find,), 45% kosher salt and 10% chili powder. Don't bury the brisket in the rub, but do use enough to coat it liberally.

Here's a pic of some briskets with rub; note how much rub is on there.

a9a8fa65.jpg

GOOD LUCK!!!

Just my family. I'm thinking of BBQ on Friday since the weather is suppose to be really nice.

I'm still pretty clueless about the science of working the pit, but will live in learn.

Where do I buy wood? Home Depot?

And is it 60 minutes for every 1lb of meat? LOL... Temp should be round 225?

Will You Tube Franklin's BBQ and study the night before.

Good rule of thumb is 1.5 hrs/#, BUT...every brisket is different. A few notes:

Blue smoke coming out of the stack, temp at 225-250, put the brisket in the pit then....NOT before.

Don't peek. If you're looking you ain't cookin. Every time you open the lid, you let the heat escape and the temp of the chamber will need to come back up to temp.

Steady temp is the key.

I wrap mine in butcher paper after about 7 hours, (as it won't take anymore smoke after about 7 hrs.)

When the brisket is fork tender where the fat cap meets the flat, it's ready.

Get a remote meat thermometer. You'll thank me later. Makes life a lot easier.

Internal temps can fluctuate; some are ready at 180, others at 190, others at 205. It really all depends on the particular brisket.

As you get more familiar with the process, you'll know whether it's ready by how the brisket feels when you pick up the wrapped in butcher paper brisket. It just takes time and practice.

Good rule of thumb is 1.5 hrs/#, BUT...every brisket is different. A few notes:

Blue smoke coming out of the stack, temp at 225-250, put the brisket in the pit then....NOT before.

Don't peek. If you're looking you ain't cookin. Every time you open the lid, you let the heat escape and the temp of the chamber will need to come back up to temp.

Steady temp is the key.

I wrap mine in butcher paper after about 7 hours, (as it won't take anymore smoke after about 7 hrs.)

When the brisket is fork tender where the fat cap meets the flat, it's ready.

Get a remote meat thermometer. You'll thank me later. Makes life a lot easier.

Internal temps can fluctuate; some are ready at 180, others at 190, others at 205. It really all depends on the particular brisket.

As you get more familiar with the process, you'll know whether it's ready by how the brisket feels when you pick up the wrapped in butcher paper brisket. It just takes time and practice.

Thanks Joey! Will attempt on Friday. How much does the meat shrink? Have 9 lbs. Debating if I should cut meat in half? A family of 4 and myself.

SHIIITTTT! You know better than that Joe.

Slim I will have to disagree with up on Jeff brisket. I had some of Jeff brisket and it was top of the line. Now this is no slam to you my friend. But I have not had a taste of your brisket so for now the story is out on a brisket cooked by armadillo slim. My good friends y'all have a great week

Thanks Joey! Will attempt on Friday. How much does the meat shrink? Have 9 lbs. Debating if I should cut meat in half? A family of 4 and myself.

Really all depends on how much the brisket is trimmed. I wouldn't cut it in half. Smoke the whole thing; freeze what you don't need in a FoodSaver bag.

Slim I will have to disagree with up on Jeff brisket. I had some of Jeff brisket and it was top of the line. Now this is no slam to you my friend. But I have not had a taste of your brisket so for now the story is out on a brisket cooked by armadillo slim. My good friends y'all have a great week

Jim, my philosophy is to never pass up taking a cheap shot at Joey because he's sure as hell never passed up taking one at me. Defend him if you must for sucking up purposes, but don't expect me to follow your lead.

Jim, my philosophy is to never pass up taking a cheap shot at Joey because he's sure as hell never passed up taking one at me. Defend him if you must for sucking up purposes, but don't expect me to follow your lead.

Slim is exactly right, (for once,) that I won't pass up a chance to throw him under any ol' random bus that's driving by. And I 100% expect the same from him. That's how friendship works. HA!! ;)

Personally, I'd use Royal Oak Lump charcoal, not briquettes. I'd also get some wood chunks of your flavor choice and use those as well, after you've got your coals nice and white.

I prefer Pecan & Red Oak for briskets, although since you're in Texas, Post Oak would take the place of Red Oak, and that is readily available to you. (And it's better IMO.)