Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mowing Grass

What is considered proper time to mow grass? I don't want to disturb neighbors. I want to mow now, but is it too early?

One cannot mow grass without afterward enjoying a beer, so your question should be "What is the proper time to start drinking beer?" Once you have that answer, adjust backward depending on how much time it takes to mow your lawn and you have the proper time to start mowing your lawn. If any of the neighbors complain, use the time you computed as the original starting time for your mowing to start drinking beer. Knock a few back and then mow your lawn. If you neighbors still complain, throw the beer cans you emptied before mowing your lawn at the neighbor and drink a few more beers. Eventually, the neighbor will think you are certifiably insane and will quit complaining. At least that is I handled things at my place.

One cannot mow grass without afterward enjoying a beer, so your question should be "What is the proper time to start drinking beer?" Once you have that answer, adjust backward depending on how much time it takes to mow your lawn and you have the proper time to start mowing your lawn. If any of the neighbors complain, use the time you computed as the original starting time for your mowing to start drinking beer. Knock a few back and then mow your lawn. If you neighbors still complain, throw the beer cans you emptied before mowing your lawn at the neighbor and drink a few more beers. Eventually, the neighbor will think you are certifiably insane and will quit complaining. At least that is I handled things at my place.

Well thought out answer, and correct.

LOL...I'm not drinking until the Spring Game where you promised me a good time!

We need SHA too! Weeds everywhere!

I just finished mowing front and back. Now I have to weed the edges and sweep up grass.

Depends. If you neighbors are A$$holes then as soon as it's light is a good time to start. Preferably on a Sunday. If you like your neighbors and its a wkday then wait for the kids to go outside for school. If it's a wkend around 9 is good.

Hmm... Both of my neighbors mow their lawns at first light on Sundays.

yes.

make sure you check the oil level if it's been sitting around for a while.

This is obviously great advice and from a trained expert. I have always found it important to look to those that do and do well to seek advice. Hence, we should all look to the resident board aggie's on how and when to mow our lawns, after all by the very nature of their beloved university it is their Raison D'Etra. While SirHornsALot may be our Landscaping expert, I have it on good authority he secretly seeks the counsel of those aggie's he employs and associates with that actually practice the ancient art of manual grass grooming on these matters.

So now we have the answer to the question that has befuddled so many of us. We have our resident aggie's on board to help us with these difficult issues. Well done. Thank you. SFLonghorngirl, you came to the right place to find your answer though at first glance it may have not made any sense to come to a Horn board regarding such manual labor activities.

What is considered proper time to mow grass? I don't want to disturb neighbors. I want to mow now, but is it too early?

My guys want to start as early as possible, but I don't let them mow residential lawns until after 8:30 a.m. It's a courtesy thing, but also a dew thing, as someone else said. Wet grass means the blades won't make a clean cut, so you often have to mow the same grass twice just to get the cut right.

If this is your first mow of the season:

1. As Phil said, check your oil. Change it if you can as it's been sitting around for months and was likely worn out when you finished the season last year.

2. If you're going to have a service do the oil change, have them change the spark plug too. Same for your weed eater, which is why it's not starting right now.

3. Have that service also sharpen your mower blade. It's only about $10 to get done, but makes a huge difference. This should be done each year before the first mow.

4. Do not follow aggy advice, contrary to what Shevis is attempting to BS you with. Most of my guys have no idea what Aggy is, they just know how to flip the Hook'em on command - and they know what that means. The boss smiles. :) Aggy science is sound, it's where expanded shale came from. That's been a winner for us and sod customers.

5. Follow whatever Randolph Duke says. He clearly understands how all this is supposed to work.

I volunteered to mow the lawn because I needed to burn calories.

Girl, you don't need to burn calories on the lawn....call SHA.....that is his specialty...let him do it...

Burn your calories on the golf course...get a partner and start walking....don't ride..ok to let your clubs ride, but you walk. Even if only for nine holes, then go twice a week.

This 72 yr old geezer is returning to the Robt Trent Jones golf trail in Alabama next week to go 36/day at 7 cities in 8 days. Walking all the way for the second time.....Fore.

Girl, you don't need to burn calories on the lawn....call SHA.....that is his specialty...let him do it...

Burn your calories on the golf course...get a partner and start walking....don't ride..ok to let your clubs ride, but you walk. Even if only for nine holes, then go twice a week.

This 72 yr old geezer is returning to the Robt Trent Jones golf trail in Alabama next week to go 36/day at 7 cities in 8 days. Walking all the way for the second time.....Fore.

They usually give up about late June ;) Texas can be a very hot place about that time.

Wow! Have fun at RTJ! I've always wanted to take a golf vacation.

I usually walk golf courses but it's so hard to find many here in DFW that allows walking.