Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Turner

JimR

OB says he is visiting UT Thursday and Friday.

shaunsters, who I thought had been kidnapped, posted "Texas."

"The dust has settled", "the die is cast", "the day of reckoning is at hand", and "the devil, and those other teams, can take the hindmost"! ;)

Who cares where people post.

I was under the impression that shaunsters was on the staff here on HornSports - specifically to cover basketball.

I also just read that James Dickey is leaving Houston. This is what might be at the root of the rumors that Daniel House, 6'-7" wing and five star player out of high school is looking to transfer. This was brought up on the "Congrats Texas Basketball" thread. Some have wondered whether House would want to come to Texas, and I wonder why, if Houston would block Texas as a transfer destination, which they just might do, why he would want to come to Texas if he had to sit out a year? These current basketball threads seem to be cross fertilizing each other to a certain extent and I am here now, so I will just leave this link here.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24499275/houston-head-coach-james-dickey-stepping-down

I just noticed that we have a "censor program". How quaint. Of course propriety is very important in this day and age, so ... Let's see. What if his name were James "Throbbing Member-ey"? Oh good! That worked. (Oh, "Flaming Excretatious Projections"!, Am I going to get a nasty, but personal e-mail from the propriety police. Since those messages are usually personal, let me share with you what my response and suggestion will be. I play correspondence chess on a website based in London that also feels the need to employ censor software. Except, in their case, their substitution for "James Dickey" would be something to the effect of "James Throbbing Stamen, Earl of Pollen". I guess, to each his own, but I am rather partial to the British Solution.) ;)

Edited by budreaureye

House would have to sit out a year if he transfers to another D1 program unless the NCAA grants some special clause to the UH players. He could transfer to a JUCO play a year and then transfer to another school but either way he's missing out on D1 playing time for a year.

I believe if Houston blocks the transfer he can't come unless he appeals the decision and wins.

The reasons to transfer to Texas:

1. Say what you want about Barnes, he and Wright get guys ready for the NBA

2. He was pretty high on Texas early in his recruiting process.

3. He's seen the turnaround and wants to be a part of it

4. I believe he's pretty close with Ridley, Ibeh, and some of the other guys on the team

He's not really on the NBA radar as far I as know so its not like he'd be sitting out just as he bursting on the scene. He's still got some work to do.

All that said I'd be surprised if UH allowed him to transfer to Texas.

House would have to sit out a year if he transfers to another D1 program unless the NCAA grants some special clause to the UH players. He could transfer to a JUCO play a year and then transfer to another school but either way he's missing out on D1 playing time for a year.

I believe if Houston blocks the transfer he can't come unless he appeals the decision and wins.

The reasons to transfer to Texas:

1. Say what you want about Barnes, he and Wright get guys ready for the NBA

2. He was pretty high on Texas early in his recruiting process.

3. He's seen the turnaround and wants to be a part of it

4. I believe he's pretty close with Ridley, Ibeh, and some of the other guys on the team

He's not really on the NBA radar as far I as know so its not like he'd be sitting out just as he bursting on the scene. He's still got some work to do.

All that said I'd be surprised if UH allowed him to transfer to Texas.

However, they have no say if he goes Juco first, true?

Hook 'em!

OB says he is visiting UT Thursday and Friday.

shaunsters, who I thought had been kidnapped, posted "Texas."

The problem is Myles is very non-committal in any story he does on his recruitment. Which for a newly minted 18 year old to be that composed of his emotions is good for any team that gets him.

So where is he going? Not a clue. Kansas can sell him on the big men they have put in the NBA, Texas can sell the NBA and proximity to home. SMU with legendary head coach Larry Brown can sell NBA as well. So who knows.

On the flip side, the Texas visit could go well enough that he commits on his visit. It is his last one and that never hurts.

The problem is Myles is very non-committal in any story he does on his recruitment. Which for a newly minted 18 year old to be that composed of his emotions is good for any team that gets him.

So where is he going? Not a clue. Kansas can sell him on the big men they have put in the NBA, Texas can sell the NBA and proximity to home. SMU with legendary head coach Larry Brown can sell NBA as well. So who knows.

On the flip side, the Texas visit could go well enough that he commits on his visit. It is his last one and that never hurts.

Let's hope for the best for Texas!

Originally Posted by Topstarr View Post

Turner is coming or not coming to Texas....I think the answer is Texas[/Quote]

I like your choice ... let's hope that young Mr. Turner concurs!

While looking for news about Turner's recruitment the other day, I came across this article from Mac Engle of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram,

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/02...ying.html?rh=1

This part of the story was of interest to me.

"With David Stern retiring after 30 years as commissioner, his successor, Adam Silver, almost immediately announced his intention to raise the NBA’s age limit to 20. That would likely mean college programs would have their soon-to-be NBA stars for two seasons rather than one.

The NBA requires its players to be 19, or one year removed from their senior year of high school, before they can enter the draft. The earliest Silver can address this divisive issue is after the 2016-17 season, when the league’s agreement with the players union can be reopened.

The rules began in 2006 and immediately put a stop to the scores of high school players skipping college in favor of the pros. One of the aims was to put a stop to sports agents and other 'representatives' littering high school games, lobbying high school kids to represent them once they turned pro."

Does anybody have any idea whether this proposed rule change has any chance of becoming a reality? If it does go into effect, of course, it would be to late to affect Myles Turner, but I could see it changing college basketball to a certain extent. Perhaps it would have a positive effect on Texas basketball. The least effect would be that "one and dones" would become "two and dones", but perhaps it would change the mind set of kids coming out of high school. At best maybe it would lessen the influence a little bit, of AAU ball and street agents. Yeah, I know, "Dream on little broomstick cowboy!" ;)

I make the rounds of several forums to see if I can glean any information of value on Texas basketball. HornFans is usually pretty dead but this is actually a pretty well reasoned discussion on whether Coach Barnes is up to what Texas' standards should be. I pretty much think that the argument that "we should burn down the house and sort it all out afterwards!" is pretty useless, but I appreciate a well reasoned discussion, and I think that there is a place for it, albeit an argument to fire Coach Barnes right now certainly goes against the current of his just winning Big 12 Coach of the Year and our seemingly having a future so bright, "We gotta wear shades!" :cool:

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=basketball&Number=6616060&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Leaving for my official visit to

The University Of Texas

Here in a little should be a fun time!</p>— Ⓜ️yuls (@Original_Turner) <a href="

">March 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Leaving for my official visit to

The University Of Texas

Here in a little should be a fun time!</p>— Ⓜ️yuls (@Original_Turner) <a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'twitter.com', '/Original_Turner/statuses/448920689077018625']);" href="

">March 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

a day early?

FYI Elijah Thomas put out a top ten in basketball, and we are on it. He's a five star and a few people actually think he's the best player in Texas. If we pull both Thomas and Turner, good luck guarding our bigs for a few years. Thomas is in the 2015 class.

http://247sports.com/Player/Elijah-Thomas-23559

Edited by utisdabomb12

Also, I talked with a few of my friends that are in AAU circles. They don't think Turner will be a one and done. Based on some his fathers comments to AAU coaches, they actually think he's going to stay in school for a couple years. Not sure how that impacts recruiting, but something that should be known.