Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I believe this has merit

I don't think the NFL has even close to the same problem with this as the NBA, just more Saben propaganda..he must get bored in the offseason...

I agree that the problem is greater in the NBA and believe that college basketball players would benefit from some type of workout for scouts, as well, but disagree that kids leaving early for the NFL is not a problem. I think that many would benefit from staying in school an extra year. An extra year of physical, mental, and emotional maturity is very important in dealing with high pressure situations.

Hook 'em!

I still can't quite figure out why kids who are unlikely to get drafted declare. Are they just dumb and greedy, or is someone pressuring them into it?

Yes everyone wants to think they're exceptional and there may be some incentive for a few shady agents to try and push a bunch of kids to the draft and hope a couple hit, but it just doesn't seem like it should be a problem, yet obviously it is.

The only logical reason I can see for a borderline kid declaring, is that he knows he'll never be a top pick and he's coming off an exceptional year that he won't be able to beat because of a major team change, like his QB or coach is leaving and next year looks dreadful. But that should be a handful of kids, not hundreds.

Can anybody tell me what the root of the problem is???

• Administrators
I still can't quite figure out why kids who are unlikely to get drafted declare. Are they just dumb and greedy, or is someone pressuring them into it?

Minimum rookie salary is $390,000

Practice squad players make $5,700/WEEK

Yes everyone wants to think they're exceptional and there may be some incentive for a few shady agents to try and push a bunch of kids to the draft and hope a couple hit, but it just doesn't seem like it should be a problem, yet obviously it is.

The only logical reason I can see for a borderline kid declaring, is that he knows he'll never be a top pick and he's coming off an exceptional year that he won't be able to beat because of a major team change, like his QB or coach is leaving and next year looks dreadful. But that should be a handful of kids, not hundreds.

I don't agree with calling them dumb and or greedy at all...people leave college all the time in pursuit of work. They weigh the risk reward and make a choice that is best for them. Sometimes it works out ala Arian Foster, sometimes it does not.

I don't agree with calling them dumb and or greedy at all...people leave college all the time in pursuit of work. They weigh the risk reward and make a choice that is best for them. Sometimes it works out ala Arian Foster, sometimes it does not.

Dumb and greedy may be too strong. But it seems that many of these kids are not maximizing their expectation when they forfeit eligibility for a long shot at being drafted or possibly making a team. Of course they're entitled to make whatever choice they think is best, it just seems that the choice many are making doesn't seem to give them the best possible shot.

So what I'm really wondering is:

Is there pressure coming from any direction in particular?

Are players consiously trading off a lower probability of making the NFL, for the ability to do it one year sooner (avoid chance of injury and get one more pro year in before the body gives out)?

Are the players significantly overestimating their value, and if so why?

Or is there another reason I haven't thought of?

As I mentioned previously, there are some good reasons a player might declare early even if they're borderline, but I don't think those situation specific reasons explain the number of kids that declare early and end up working at the local dealership.

In answer to your question, the following is only an opinion, but it is derived from working with adolescents continuously over a period of years.

1) The first response that always comes to mind when asked why an 18-22 year old male feels like he can conquer anything, do anything, is that there is a reason they send males this age to war. It's their nature to feel indestructible and unbeatable. I'm always amazed to hear of the hair-brained stunts guys that age do. When I hear about them, I wonder why on earth anyone is concerned about organized sports. Entering a pro-draft, that's no biggie.

2) Most of these kids were highly sought after recruits. Multiple colleges told them how great they are. Why wouldn't the pros be waiting in line to draft them?

3) Go undrafted? It may happen to that other guy, but it will never happen to me!

Guys, how old were you when you actually felt like a mortal? My brother may have said it best when he was interviewed by a paper during a championship run. He was asked about the team being cocky. He explained that in order to play well, a team had to have confidence. He went on to explain that some people interpreted confidence as cockiness. Perhaps these players are simply confident, but don't realize what personnel managers are looking for at the next level.

In the final analysis, the majority of players will be better served if they stay in college, get their degree, and then go to the pros. Their playing days will be over far sooner than they would like, but that degree will serve them well for the rest of their life.