Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My way to early opinion of the 2014 season.

doc longhorn

Should I say it? DARE I say it? Why would I say it? Would anyone else say it? Is it crazy to say it? I think I will say it. I want to say it. Dammit, I'm going to say it:

The Texas Longhorns are going to kick ass, win the Big 12 and be the surprise team of the year!

There, I have said it and I enjoyed it.

We will have one loss - UCLA.

No one in the Big 12 knows what Texas is all about with the new coaches. That's good. No one in the SEC knew what aggy was all about either - with their new coaches.

The critical Big 12 game will be OU. Stoops and OU are used to Mack Brown coached teams. Strong will have the Longhorns snarling and will punch Stoops and his team in the mouth. They won't like it, say wtf - is this Texas? And they will lose - maybe even big time.

Wickline knows Gundy and OSU - we will win this game easily. Baylor will be a contender, but we will eventually beat them up. They will quit.

The rest of the Big 12? Patsy wins.

We have to get past Baylor, so thinks Art Briles.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/baylor-bears/20140319-baylor-pro-day-draws-a-big-crowd-including-dallas-scouts-and-a-cowboys-wr.ece

"Go back five years, when several of the players at Wednesday’s pro day were entering Baylor, and the Bears have produced the fourth-most NFL draft picks in the Big 12 with 14 (including five first-round picks since 2009). Oklahoma (29), Texas (20) and TCU (17) have more.

“It’s big-time,” Baylor coach Art Briles said about the school’s run of NFL talent. “It means we have good players who have come here and developed into great players and have a chance to go play in the league.

“That’s something where we’re not satisfied being second. We want to be first. We want to put more people in the league than anybody in the nation. That’s what we’re going to do. We’ll keep recruiting NFL players without question.”

No one in the Big 12 knows what Texas is all about with the new coaches. That's good. No one in the SEC knew what aggy was all about either - with their new coaches.

The critical Big 12 game will be OU. Stoops and OU are used to Mack Brown coached teams. Strong will have the Longhorns snarling and will punch Stoops and his team in the mouth. They won't like it, say wtf - is this Texas? And they will lose - maybe even big time.

Wickline knows Gundy and OSU - we will win this game easily. Baylor will be a contender, but we will eventually beat them up. They will quit.

The rest of the Big 12? Patsy wins.

You could be right. I am not quite as optimistic as you.. but I do believe we will be a very good team. My biggest concern is injury...If we can stay healthy I believe we will be right where you are putting us~

Should I say it? DARE I say it? Why would I say it? Would anyone else say it? Is it crazy to say it? I think I will say it. I want to say it. Dammit, I'm going to say it:

The Texas Longhorns are going to kick ass, win the Big 12 and be the surprise team of the year!

We handle UCLA. Undefeated this year.

It will prove that Mack can recruit. He just can't coach.

Cautiously optimistic here. The offense is a huge, huge question mark. The offensive line is extremely suspect at this point and there are no game changers at any of the skill positions. On defense there are depth issues in the line, the linebackers are average at best and that's being kind, and the defensive backs are an unknown. I am hoping that coaching can make a big difference as I am just not sold on the overall talent level which I attribute to poor recruiting.

We handle UCLA. Undefeated this year.

It will prove that Mack can recruit. He just can't coach.

Recruiting/player eval is part of coaching. Xs and Os passed him by.

IMO, if we go undefeated, it's more about Strong, and not about Mack. Different season. Case uses up eligibility, so we have that going for us.

You could be right. I am not quite as optimistic as you.. but I do believe we will be a very good team. My biggest concern is injury...If we can stay healthy I believe we will be right where you are putting us~

This is key - like it is with all teams that win. The true definition of luck is a team that can say they, luckily, didn't lose key players to injury. And, in our case, the one key injury would be Ash.

That's the big worry. I think our team is going be physical - like we have never seen them before. And when you are physical, you are prone to injury.

I admire the confidence, but I'm predicting 9-3 with losses to UCLA, OU, and K-State. IF we beat the Bruins then maybe we can talk about a Big 12 title. Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just realistic.

Not a Debbie Downer. may be about right. Our Road/Neutral schedule is not very kind next year. UCLA - Kansas - OU - KState - Tech - OSU.

Best home games are BYU - Baylor - TCU

Cautiously optimistic here. The offense is a huge, huge question mark. The offensive line is extremely suspect at this point and there are no game changers at any of the skill positions. On defense there are depth issues in the line, the linebackers are average at best and that's being kind, and the defensive backs are an unknown. I am hoping that coaching can make a big difference as I am just not sold on the overall talent level which I attribute to poor recruiting.

Don't be cautious - break out and be bold. Mack is gone, even though the bad taste part of his teams remains with the fans. Say it again - MACK IS GONE!!!!!

This is Coach Strong's team and I think we will find the resemblance between his and Mack's teams is like the difference between night and day. THIS is my reason for the optimism.

We have looked so bad, in some of our losses, that we have bought in to the boo birds, trolls and naysayers that have been wringing their hands over our so called "lack of talent". The University of Texas does NOT lack talent and never has. WE have the studs and we have more coming in. And our previous teams really never quit - but our coaches did. Deep down, they did - and so did a lot of fans.

Look at the Big 12 QB's. There is not a team in the conference, maybe with the exception of Baylor, that wouldn't trade their QB for Ash. As far as running backs, NO team in the conference has better than us - and maybe even the nation. The OL? We have plenty of experience now - even with the youngsters. And maybe the best center in the league. Receivers? Who can catch a ball better than Shipley? Name me one - even at Baylor. Game Breakers? Did we forget about Daje? Defense? Even Robinson turned it around last year after the Diaz disaster. Strong IS a defensive coach - ala Nick Saban. Our defense will be awesome - wait and see.

By mid season our reputation will be exactly like my sig and as Rumph said we will be.

Rejoice my brothers and sisters. The new beginning is coming and we will be singing hallelujah!

Edited by doc longhorn

I admire the confidence, but I'm predicting 9-3 with losses to UCLA, OU, and K-State. IF we beat the Bruins then maybe we can talk about a Big 12 title. Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just realistic.

LOL! JB, LOOK what Mack Brown has done to you. If you remember, we, realistically, were supposed to have lost to OU and KSU last year, as well. And those were Mack coached teams.

No, my brother, you have joy waiting for you this year. You'll see.

Don't be cautious - break out and be bold. Mack is gone, even though the bad taste part of his teams remains with the fans. Say it again - MACK IS GONE!!!!!

This is Coach Strong's team and I think we will find the resemblance between his and Mack's teams is like the difference between night and day. THIS is my reason for the optimism.

We have looked so bad, in some of our losses, that we have bought in to the boo birds, trolls and naysayers that have been wringing their hands over our so called "lack of talent". The University of Texas does NOT lack talent and never has. WE have the studs and we have more coming in. And our previous teams really never quit - but our coaches did. Deep down, they did - and so did a lot of fans.

Look at the Big 12 QB's. There is not a team in the conference, maybe with the exception of Baylor, that wouldn't trade their QB for Ash. As far as running backs, NO team in the conference has better than us - and maybe even the nation. The OL? We have plenty of experience now - even with the youngsters. And maybe the best center in the league. Receivers? Who can catch a ball better than Shipley? Name me one - even at Baylor. Game Breakers? Did we forget about Daje? Defense? Even Robinson turned it around last year after the Diaz disaster. Strong IS a defensive coach - ala Nick Saban. Our defense will be awesome - wait and see.

By mid season our reputation will be exactly like my sig and as Rumph said we will be.

Rejoice my brothers and sisters. The new beginning is coming and we will be singing hallelujah!

Doc Longhorn, your optimism is admirable. Like I have said before, just because you agree with me doesn't mean your're wise and just because you disagree with doesn't mean you're foolish.

The key to the season will be how much difference the coaching staff can make. Right now there are several question marks most notably at QB. Ash simply must remain healthy. I honestly don't know how Texas compares to the rest of the Big 12. But I don't believe our running backs are even close the best in the nation and the OL is simply not very good. Shipley scares absolutely no one as a receiver and none of the other receivers have stepped up on any kind of consistent basis. And no I haven't forgotten about Daje. He does has the potential to a game breaker but has not come close to showing it on a consistent basis. Not to mention it's not even a certainty that he will even be on the team next fall. As far as having STUDS, the only player who even comes close is Malcom Brown and maybe, maybe Q. Diggs. But as I said in my original post, the LB's are about as mediocre as they come.

Again, the key is how much difference the coaching staff can make. This team probably does has the talent to contend and possibly win the Big 12. But barring a total cultural change, which we may very well see, it simply does not have the talent to compete for the playoffs. We are at least a year away from that level.

LOL! JB, LOOK what Mack Brown has done to you. If you remember, we, realistically, were supposed to have lost to OU and KSU last year, as well. And those were Mack coached teams.

No, my brother, you have joy waiting for you this year. You'll see.

I will pray and keep my fingers crossed that you're right!

In the meantime, I will do everything in my power to support Coach Strong and the 'Horns. See y'all at the "Comin' on Strong Tour" in Fort Worth next month! \m/

I like the way Doc thinks. His prediction is bold, but not totally without rational merit.

I agree also that the key will be injuries, specifically at the QB position. If Ash can get through the schedule, I can see us doing as well as 11-1. But from what I've heard, Strong is going to have Ash running in this offense, if so, Ash could go down on any play.

We have talent everywhere and finally we have an elite team of coaches and a leader who walks the walk - making us one of the best prepared teams on every Saturday. Talent + preparation = Success.

I predict there will be a lot of energy with this team. I predict the Horns will dominate the Sports page headlines in Texas this year. We'll win the conference crown, we will smother Baylor in one of the best defensive performances in 15 years, and we'll contend for the MNC.

I'm with ya, Doc!

If your defense is good enough, you never have to lose a game. True?

If your defense is good enough, you will never lose a game.

man, i really hope you are right, but i think this is going to be a bit of a rebuilding year. i just hope to see steady improvement and close losses when we lose. i am even ok with one moderately bad loss....if it is an early one. but i don't want to see more than 4 losses....preferably 3 or less.