Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire with McPhaul - 03/19/2014

• Administrators

Spring camp started this week under the Charlie Strong regime, the Longhorns begin play tomorrow evening in the first round of the NCAA tournament against Arizona State and Crossfire is here.....

cross_mcPhaul.jpg

6677226.jpg

ATTRITION UPDATES ON THE 40 ACRES

• WR Bryant Jackson will receive a medical hardship due to nagging foot injury and retire from football.
  • LB Aaron Benson will graduate in May and has elected to forgo his senior year.
  • OL Garret Greenlea was never able to get healthy after suffering a knee injury has also decided to retire from football.

qa.png

CROSSFIRE Q&A

Q) What is the latest at Bellmont?

A) Maybe I’m not as smart as you think I am but, that is kind of a vague question.

Q) Is Patterson feared?

A) Feared would be the wrong term to use. Steve Patterson is well respected and the staff is adapting to his style. I believe we are lucky to have him.

Q) What is the back story on player’s attitudes about living on campus?

A) At first they were not happy about it but, they are now starting to recognize the benefits of bonding and being a close team.

Q) What coach do you think will have the biggest impact on their position group and in what ways?

A) I would usually have some sort of opinion on a topic like this but; I’m really not sure until we get a few practices under our belt. I’m interested in seeing what Coach Rump does with the talent at his disposal.

Q) Was Scott's dismissal from the team one of many missteps?

A) Not that I’m aware of. Scott was blowing it up in the off season strength & conditioning program.

Q) Does Charlie Strong have a zero tolerance policy?

A) No. Coach Strong has been very clear about the rules and those that have broken them have been dealt with accordingly.

Q) Speaking of that, do you believe that Coach Strong has a dossier of all players who have been disciplined for breaking rules in the past? If so, have they been put on notice?

A) Of course he does. Coach Strong & staff have made it a point to get to know each player individually. Yes, Coach Strong has been very clear with each team member on where they stand in the program. Some of those players have responded in a very positive manner.

Q) How are the players responding to the recent dismissals?

A) The Moss dismissal did not surprise anyone. Moss was the team “party” guy. If the team did not understand that Strong was serious, they do now.

Q) Odds of UT landing Wittek?

A) The fact that Wittek is going to visit Texas again tells us we are very much in the running. I would say 50/50 right now.

Q) From the Horns Digest article, all four HS coaches liked Coach Strong, but ranked in-state recruiting as ATM, Baylor, and UT (smh at Baylor). What is more important to "leapfrog" Baylor...relationships, or winning?

A) Can you believe we are even having this conversation? The horse is winning and the cart is the relationships.

Q) Was Chambers retained because he was a former HS coach?

A) First and foremost Coach Chambers was retained because he and Coach Strong had the right chemistry. Second of all Coach Chambers has been instrumental in introducing the new Texas staff to the Texas High School coaches.

Q) Odds of Wittek beating out a healthy Ash?

A) I watched two USC games last year when Wittek started and in my opinion a healthy Ash is a better QB. With that said, Ash’s ability to improvise with his legs separated the two.

Q) What does a full athletic scholarship cover?

A) One year of education, books, lodging, meals. Do not underestimate the personalized tutoring the kids receive from the support staff when they seek it. That leaves cloths and entertainment for the kid to cover.

Q) What is your take on pay-for-play?

A) We are now delaying the inevitable. The university Presidents are not going to be able to table this topic much longer. It's coming.

Q) Is there a Hornsports app or should I be using tapatalk?

A) For the time being Tapatalk is the best way to catch HornSports on mobile devices. We have a new platform being released soon which will give the site a fresh look with new features.

Q) During a conversation with a friend (he is not a longhorn) he said that 50% off our fans were just t-shirt fans. What's your take on his assumption?

A) You should take that as a compliment. What he is really telling you is that Texas is a very popular team to follow whether you attended Texas or not. Texas is a national brand and attracts fans from all over the world.

As you have heard, Patterson wants to exploit the international markets when the opportunity arises. You should also tell your friend that the 50/50 assumption is in line with any other flagship state university fan base if they are worth a damn.

Q) Daje's role on this team, position, impact?

A) The staff is doing everything they can to enable Daje to have a huge impact. Daje has to stay consistent and fly right.

Q) Steam is picking up with attention on the UTvs$Atm$ rivalry. Has Patterson been approached about a reunion and/or what are the chances of this actually being renewed?

A) As long as the two schools move into two directions on how they conduct their recruiting, I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

Q) Next commit? A couple more to watch?

A) I’m going to gamble on Wittek for the next commitment. 2016 running back Kameron Martin has stated that he would jump all over a Texas offer. Rockwell Heath LB/S DeShawn Elliot is rumored to be selecting his destination soon (edit: Elliott committed to UT last night).

Q) Greetings darrell, 1. are there any current "rumblings" regarding the proposed "two story practice facility"? as you may attest, just a month or so ago... this was a particular hot item as per discussions upon many "longhorn nation" websites. could there be a current status? or is this prospective edifice, now being considered upon alignment as per the expansion of "dkr"?

A) I have not heard one word about a new practice facility expect for Strong stating we are good to go with what we have now.

Q) you may or may not have a direct answer as per this particular query... therefore, a "guesstimate" shall indeed suffice. do you really believe that "atm" shall have there new football palace open for business at the start of the 2014 gridiron season as they are ambiguously vs ambitiously proposing? even the "walking dead corpses" may see that there is indeed a monumental task of on hand construction work currently underway, upon their "college station" work zone. just how on earth could they possibly finish in time as per this season?

A) I have no earthly idea. I have not followed the project close enough to comment on it.

Q) We of course want Myles Turner, but what is the word on Barnett? He sounds like a solid prospect and has a 4* rating. Thought I heard his dad was an NBA guy?

A) Barnett is one hell of an Athlete with a decent outside shot. Barnett’s most impressive attribute is his court IQ and his unselfishness. Minutes are going to be tight next year but, look for Barnett to average around 10 minutes a game his first year. I need to do some homework because I did not know his dad played in the NBA.

Q) With the spring season starting, when do you think we hear of more attrition and how many do you now guess the number is?

A) I have stated in the past that the over under was around 8 and at this time, I will stick to it.

Q) Do we need attrition to avoid too many scholarship players for next season? That's what I thought was stated previously but not sure.

A) My understanding is we need to trim down approximately four more to get to 85. I look for some medical hardships to be taken by at least two players after spring ball.

Q) How are the Texas coaches receiving the new staff and coach Strong? It sounds like the out of state kids like Strong but the in state kids have not warmed up to him yet. I wondered if it is because their high school coaches are not quite sold on Strong yet?

A) The High School coaches & recruit that are not familiar with Coach Strong are taking a wait and see approach. Some of these High School coaches are close to Mack and Mack has not yet given Coach Strong an endorsement.

bevo-texas-longhorns-mascot-jpg.7845

CONVERSATION WITH FRIEND OF BEVO

Me: Hey my man, how is it going?

FOB: Just got back from the Disch and I’m pretty disgusted. We have not won a B12 series since 2012. I really can’t wrap my head around that.

Me: Well, it just the first series this year. Shouldn’t we tap the brakes on our discontent? I mean we did improve our out of conference play this year.

FOB: Dammit Darrell, don’t try and polish the turd we laid this past weekend. Are you listening to me? We have not won a B12 series since 2012. What part that is ever acceptable at Texas?

Me: Many Horn Sports members keep asking if this is Augie’s swan song?

FOB: I can’t imagine changes won’t be forthcoming if we don’t get back to Omaha. Augie is prideful and understands the expectations surrounding the program. I foresee Augie stepping away if we don’t take our rightful spot in Omaha.

With the pitching staff this team has, it would a travesty to stay home for the third year in a row.

Me: Switching gears on you; what did you think about our draw in the tournament?

FOB: We sure picked a fine time to tank. I mean we lost every road game on the back of our schedule. Our saving grace is ASU has also sputtered its way into the tournament. I think we beat them but, keep in mind, ASU starts three seniors so and that may help them some.

Me: Did you check out the rest of the midwest draw?

FOB: I did and it sure looked like the toughest region. Texas was not done any favors. It makes me sick to my stomach to see Baylor get a 6th seed when we beat them 2 out of 3 with one of those wins coming on their court.

Me: Are you ready for spring ball?

FOB: Football cannot get here soon enough.

Me: Are you going to be allowed take in some practices and give our members some insight on the team?

FOB: I certainly plan on it. I, nor anyone else I know has not been informed we cannot attend practice.

Me: I know you said you had to cut it short today but, our members have been asking me for some juicy news. You got anything?

FOB: The B12 has received an interesting inquiry from an ACC school and the word is; Patterson is going to do everything in his power to improve the B12 standing in college football.

Me: What else you got?

FOB: Saddle up because Texas is not going to sit idle while A&M continues to cheat. A large case of illegal recruiting is building against A&M. I will let you know when it gets closer to hitting the fan and it will. TEXAS means business.

Me: Ok, I know you are in a hurry but, I expect more info on both those topics next week.

FOB: We will see. Goodbye

me: i know you said you had to cut it short today but, our members have been asking me for some juicy news. You got anything?

fob: the b12 has received an interesting inquiry from an acc school and the word is; patterson is going to do everything in his power to improve the b12 standing in college football.

me: what else you got?

fob: saddle up because texas is not going to sit idle while a&m continues to cheat. a large case of illegal recruiting is building against a&m. I will let you know when it gets closer to hitting the fan and it will. Texas means business.

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

A) The High School coaches & recruit that are not familiar with Coach Strong are taking a wait and see approach. Some of these High School coaches are close to Mack and Mack has not yet given Coach Strong an endorsement.

============================================

Just another reason to like Mack. What a douche.

So glad he is gone. The next time I see him will be too soon.

Thanks McPhaul.

"FOB: Saddle up because Texas is not going to sit idle while A&M continues to cheat. A large case of illegal recruiting is building against A&M. I will let you know when it gets closer to hitting the fan and it will. TEXAS means business."

Wow...another probation would do just fine. How long before Sumlin updates his resume?

Thanks McPhaul.

"FOB: Saddle up because Texas is not going to sit idle while A&M continues to cheat. A large case of illegal recruiting is building against A&M. I will let you know when it gets closer to hitting the fan and it will. TEXAS means business."

Wow...another probation would do just fine. How long before Sumlin updates his resume?

Sumlin wanted out last year. He really wanted and seeked out the USC job. Sumlin was so eager for the job, he made Hayden nervous.

A) The fact that Wittek is going to visit Texas again tells us we are very much in the running. I would say 50/50 right now.

Considering Wittek loved his UT visit, and his only other visit was Hawaii,(which made sense, free trip but bad team) and he's coming back with his mom, I have it as over 90% he commits to us.

A. Mack has not yet given Coach Strong an endorsement.

If I were Coach Strong I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one. Since I believe Mack is planning to coach again in the future and may have to recruit against UT.

McPhaul, I won't talk about the cheating stuff, because I know parts of it are true (your friend FOB doesn't want the full story out there for a reason). That statement about Sumlin is a flat out lie however. I don't know who fed you that info, but I would get rid of them as a source.

What's the reason? Sounded too much like something a Sooner would say.

Just my opinion, BUT it would have been quite appropriate for "mack brown" to have been required to give his support/endorsement to COACH STRONG in order to receive any type of compensation for his "resignation". Especially since "mack" decided to whine and cause such turmoil to result in Saban and possibly others losing interest or deciding that the circus was just too much. Anyway Coach Strong is man enough and a real coach and will do awesome even without "mack's" endorsement.

By the way, Darrell....GREAT CROSSFIRE!!!

Edited by hornag

McPhaul that statement about Sumlin is a lie. I don't know who fed you that info, but I would get rid of them as a source.

Joe and Mike - I had no idea what Sumlins plans are or were - if any. But you are pretty emphatic about him and the USC job. Would you care to elaborate why?

Sumlin has high school aged kids. He doesn't want to move them again.

Also, he likes his current job and isn't looking for a new one. The NFL was more of a threat than USC was.

If A&M is still winning when his kids are out of high school then I can see him jumping to the NFL.

In the meantime he's content here.

Sumlin has high school aged kids. He doesn't want to move them again.

Also, he likes his current job and isn't looking for a new one. The NFL was more of a threat than USC was.

If A&M is still winning when his kids are out of high school then I can see him jumping to the NFL.

In the meantime he's content here.

content in b/cs?.....yeah right

I would not doubt if Mack is hoping Texas tanks this season to make him the missing link. Sad really. Also, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything substantial happening with atm. Half of major college football is illegally recruiting. That coupled with the NCAA being a spineless organization equals possible probation at best. Nothing will be done and schools will continue to do what they do.