Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

Sign in to follow this  
HornEnforcer

William Russ earned the punting job for the Horns - Pruitt to kick

Longhorn fans do not realize how good we had it with J. Tucker handling the punting, kicking, etc... Mack has given the kickoffs and field goal duties to redshirt freshman Ben Pruitt and sophmore William Russ will handle punt duties. Frankly these are positions that can really doom us if we are not careful. These folks need reps, reps and more reps.

Longhorn fans do not realize how good we had it with J. Tucker handling the punting, kicking, etc... Mack has given the kickoffs and field goal duties to redshirt freshman Ben Pruitt and sophmore William Russ will handle punt duties. Frankly these are positions that can really doom us if we are not careful. These folks need reps, reps and more reps.

I hope he just gets to actually punt the ball and stop all of the stupid Rudy punts. He just needs to control his distance to kill it inside the 20's and to boom it from everywhere else.

I hope he just gets to actually punt the ball and stop all of the stupid Rudy punts. He just needs to control his distance to kill it inside the 20's and to boom it from everywhere else.

Save for the fact that controlling that bounce on the rugby punts (I'm assuming that's what you meant) prevents returns. They have their place.

HAH! The kicker/punter position doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. Let's get a quarterback that can run the offensive effectively! I have always enjoyed the kicking developments at Texas - you just kind of learn to love these position players more and more every year. Then when they leave you are like "WTH, we will actually miss you!"

True Freshman and former Coppell High School kicker Nick Jordan might be getting the nod now. Pruitt may have "practiced" himself out of the starting job. A lot of time left before the season but Jordan seems to be the "it" guy now on the 40 Acres.

True Freshman and former Coppell High School kicker Nick Jordan might be getting the nod now. Pruitt may have "practiced" himself out of the starting job. A lot of time left before the season but Jordan seems to be the "it" guy now on the 40 Acres.

I've seen Jordan kick in person....monster leg

So let's not place so much damn emphasis on the kicker right now. My workmate's cousin, Donnie Corona was the walk on kicker for Texas Tech for the last few years. He sucked some and he won some. Let's not worry so much about the damn kicker position - it will evolve as it should. Young kickers learn though trial and error but mostly error. Shit, let's start Jordan so he has 4 years of greatness.

Disagree HornsEnforcer. If you don't worry about the kicking game from the beginning and don't treat it as an equal third along with the offense and defense, it will get you beat.