Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'14 Offensive Spring Preview

• Administrators

Some well-reasoned thoughts. Thanks for the effort!

- I tend to agree with your assessment of Swoopes. I think most are underrating what learning a new offense does to level the field. Having said that, I don't see why you say Ash & Watson is a bad pairing. If Ash is named starter, teams will make hitting him a priority. That means that whoever is #2 needs to practice and have the mindset that he's a starter.

- I'm higher on Malcolm Brown than you - especially if he's dedicating himself to the workouts, as reported. Depth is a big concern here for me. I'm not a fan of RBC and/or specialization.

- The WR group is really interesting. So much potential, but so much is unproven & untested. I have no concerns about the top 3-4, but the team needs 2-3 of the potentials to realize their talents.

- I'm buying stock on D. Harrison. This is a contract year plus playing for Coach Wickline should mean good things for the big fella. At RT, I'm with you in that I have no concerns with Perkins. Depth behind DH & DP is one of my top 3 concerns for next Fall. I really want the rest of the crew to be able to play on the interior, but if there's an injury at tackle, I expect Wickline will shuffle someone outside.

How Espinosa handles the new offense and coaching will be a big storyline for Spring. If he's at C, then that really opens up a fierce competition for the 2 spots at OG.

I don't see Swoopes as the answer.

He has to be. If he isn't the offense is in the hands of a guy whose injury clock is 30 seconds from striking midnight or a kid who needs to redshirt and be ready for what lies ahead in 2015.

If Ash wins the job he wins the job. At least this time around, with whoever wins the job, there isn't a question of the backups ability to throw the ball.

- I tend to agree with your assessment of Swoopes. I think most are underrating what learning a new offense does to level the field. Having said that, I don't see why you say Ash & Watson is a bad pairing. If Ash is named starter, teams will make hitting him a priority. That means that whoever is #2 needs to practice and have the mindset that he's a starter.

If Ash is the dice and the table is the field, how many times do you roll before you end up hitting snake eyes?

- I'm higher on Malcolm Brown than you - especially if he's dedicating himself to the workouts, as reported. Depth is a big concern here for me. I'm not a fan of RBC and/or specialization.

Don't get me wrong, Brown is a damn good back, but he can't do this alone. Absolutely depth right now is a major concern. As it pertains to specialized packages, they work great when the guys involved are multi faceted and your hand isn't tipped. With DJ Monroe, and to an extent Daje Johnson, when they were on the field the last few years, teams knew exactly what was coming. When it was Gray and Brown being each others "package" backup, you never knew what was coming because they could do it all. Catalon strikes me as a back who can "do it all".

- The WR group is really interesting. So much potential, but so much is unproven & untested. I have no concerns about the top 3-4, but the team needs 2-3 of the potentials to realize their talents.

There are a lot of mouths to feed in that list.

- I'm buying stock on D. Harrison. This is a contract year plus playing for Coach Wickline should mean good things for the big fella. At RT, I'm with you in that I have no concerns with Perkins. Depth behind DH & DP is one of my top 3 concerns for next Fall. I really want the rest of the crew to be able to play on the interior, but if there's an injury at tackle, I expect Wickline will shuffle someone outside.

How Espinosa handles the new offense and coaching will be a big storyline for Spring. If he's at C, then that really opens up a fierce competition for the 2 spots at OG.

Ive seen some projections with Harrison at LT and Estelle at RT. That's not a feasible solution right now, but one which could really work well if both guys buy in and make big strides. Estelle/Perkins could both be that "swing" lineman every team needs as its 6th man, but there has to be 5 solid starters to make that 6th.

Excellent post. I agree especially with your take that Wickline can make things work in a pinch. Last year, his OL was constantly have to be reshuffled at OSU. He made it work.

Great write up, thanks. I have far less concerns at RB however. I believe both Brown and Bergeron will play on Sundays, and I think this staff will utilize their abilities properly. RB should be a strength. The real question is at OL, and if Wickline can work wonders with this always underachieving group, we will be in excellent shape moving forward.

Okay, even though I'll probably get blasted for it, I'll be the one to say it.

Until and unless someone steps their game up, I see an offense that does NOT have elite, stud, game changing talent at any of the skill positions (with the possible exception of Daje) as well as questionable talent on the offensive line. That can change if the coaches really, really make a difference which they may very well do. I hope so.

I read that Myles was moved to QB. I believe that Ash has the talent, but injuries are a concern, not just his noggin, he has been hurt all three years. Swoopes is well a hope, but I don't know..the arm is alive, very strong...he just flicked his wrist on the deep pass to Mike Davis, but I just don't know. I hope we don't see Jerrod, but I am not too sure we won't.

I really hope we see Daje play mostly in the backfield, he is largely ineffective at WR. I am high on MB, and even though Joe has had his issues with fumblitous. I am not sure who is better between Sanders and Johnson.

I know. I know. I'm a woman, and all that, but here goes. I really like both Sanders and Johnson. If Sanders doesn't start at WR, I really hope he and the coaches give it a try at a starting corner spot. He could do that and play the 5th wide receiver. Wasn't Woodson nominated for a Heisman for doing just that.

JG is a stud, but unless the information is incorrect, it isn't in his best interest to play this year, at least in the early going. Hopefully MB can realize his full potential with Wick in charge of the line, plus. I think Wick is a game changer, no pun intended. We haven't seen a real offensive line coach with no meddling involvedsince Mackovic was here. Who would have thought that could happen? Catalon may indeed be a game changer, and we have no idea what mind games went on behind the scenes with Bergeron!

I am anticipating Ash will get through the entire season without a problem, but all teams should be prepared with a backup. I frequently wonder if we, as a fan base, have been conditioned by Mack to 'be afraid', and I am very tired of the negativity it created. It is one thing to be prepared, but it is quite another to 'be afraid' or 'to be working oneself to death'. One is smart the other just isn't football.

Note: Kendall Briles is under investigation by the NCAA for visiting Ketchum during a period when it wasn't allowed. Just reported by a Waco's ABC station. If you want a link, look for one on their site. They asked for a comment from Art Briles and Kendall Briles and got 'no comment'.

Hook 'em!

Edited by java
I know. I know. I'm a woman, and all that, but here goes.

Can you talk sports? (Yep) Who cares? No discrimination here.

Note: Kendall Briles is under investigation by the NCAA for visiting Ketchum during a period when it wasn't allowed. Just reported by a Waco's ABC station. If you want a link, look for one on their site. They asked for a comment from Art Briles and Kendall Briles and got 'no comment'.

Hook 'em!

Not shocked.