Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Three's Company: Texas Beats Baylor 74-69

Chris Flanagan

The Texas Longhorns were coming back home after a tough road trip to Ames, IA and Lawrence, KS to play Scott Drew and the Baylor Bears. The Longhorns jumped out to a 15 point halftime lead but had to battle in the second half to pull out a 5 point win at home.

Turning Point of the Game

With the Bears down three with 30 seconds to go, Kenny Chery was red hot and got a lane to drive to the basket. Instead of an easy layup, Cameron Ridley made an unbelievable athletic move to block the layup and Jonathan Holmes picked up the rebound and gave the ball to Isaiah Taylor. Taylor hit both free throws to put the Longhorns up 5 and they won the game.

Player(s) of the game

Cameron Ridley and Javan Felix

Some nights, whether you play in the NBA or at the YMCA, you just are feeling it. Javan Felix was feeling it tonight. He was on tonight. Cameron Ridley used his advantage to get 20 points and 10 rebounds. That was a huge effort for him and he also hit a few jumpshots showing the NCAA that he isn't just a low post player exclusively.

Epilogue

You can focus on the negative that Texas let Baylor in the game but I think it was just a case of Baylor finally being Baylor. They were hitting 3 point shots and had a better percentage shooting the ball overall. Add in some turnovers by the Longhorns and that's how Baylor got back into the game. The good thing was they never took the lead. Now the Longhorns will travel to Norman, Oklahoma and play the Sooners. They will obviously be looking for revenge but the Sooners will be looking to win and try to get in second place in the Big 12. The Longhorns won't win the Big 12 but if they can get in either 2nd or 3rd place, it can help them get a Big 12 tournament title. This is also a good test for the NCAA tournament to learn how to face adversity and overcome it to get the win. 3 more regular season games to go.

We play so much better and with greater intensity at home. This is not really surprising since we are a young team. I would like to see us beat OU in Norman but realistically that probably won't happen. In fact, at TT may be a challenge as well. Still, it is fun watching this team. When they are on, they are hard to beat.

My suggestion for the turning point was Taylor's left hand layup after lots of contact when we were only up 1 at 70-69.

I think you are very right about Baylor playing like it should play in the second half. Credit to them for not mailing it in. We helped some with turnovers during BU's run, but they played lights out after halftime.

I don't understand how Scott Drew is allowed to jump around 10 feet out on the court while the game is going on? 3 times in the last few minutes he was out in the middle of the field of play with absolutely nothing done about it. How is that legal/okay?

Nice win. I do enjoy how we keep our composure when the opponent makes their run.

We also varied our offensive approach during the game, which is a nice change from past seasons.

We were also lucky Felix was hot. Last night he was 7-of-9 on 3s.

But he is shooting only 35% 3PG both for the season and conference.

On the other hand, he has hit 63% 3s the last three home games.

And, on the whole, he is having a better season than last year when he had to carry the weight of the entire team as a freshman. Having Taylor this year has helped Jevan quite a bit.

My suggestion for the turning point was Taylor's left hand layup after lots of contact when we were only up 1 at 70-69.

I think you are very right about Baylor playing like it should play in the second half. Credit to them for not mailing it in. We helped some with turnovers during BU's run, but they played lights out after halftime.

Yeah you could but I usually consider the turning point to be when the winning team took control and won the game. Baylor still had a chance to tie the game at that point so I chose the Cam Ridley block and subsequent free throws.

I don't understand how Scott Drew is allowed to jump around 10 feet out on the court while the game is going on? 3 times in the last few minutes he was out in the middle of the field of play with absolutely nothing done about it. How is that legal/okay?

If Drew gets flattened by a player, which would be awesome, does he get a technical foul ala Tomlin's unsportsmanlike penalty vs ravens last year on the kick return? Either way watching Drew get flattened would be priceless. Images of macovic almost getting killed by tony brakens just bounced around my head. That guy was a player.

I agree on the Taylor swoop to the hoop. That guy has been amazing this season. His ability to get to the rack has been crazy. The first half lay up in which he picked up the dribble at the freethrow line and glided in for the scoop layup was great! Imagine I was worried about losing kabongo, and we have gotten a serious upgrade over what he brought to the table (albeit a shortened waste of a season for myck)