Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B11; new RHP for Pan Am

Silver leading off

BB

Carter up

SAC bunt; 3-4; 1 down

Shaw up

4-3; 2 down; great backhand by 2B in the hole near the 2B bag; solid play to get the out.

Silver advances to 3rd

Felts up

RBI Single

Horns Win 2-1

Good thing we are an outstanding, and deep, pitching staff this season. Bats need to get moving to get some runs.

I actually think Augie needs to insert some of the older guys like Felts. Experience is something that's very underrated in baseball. You saw it in that last at bat. Felts was patient and got ahead in the count. Then got a pitch he wanted, and found a gap with a nice easy swing.

I actually think Augie needs to insert some of the older guys like Felts. Experience is something that's very underrated in baseball. You saw it in that last at bat. Felts was patient and got ahead in the count. Then got a pitch he wanted, and found a gap with a nice easy swing.

Augue does give quite a few light hitting rookies the starts. Agree with your comment on playing the veterans more, especially in these non-conference games.

The problem being that most of these seniors have proven through 3 years of games they aren't much better and have no upside.

Valid point. But I would like to point out that the starting P today for Pan Am was no slouch and this is another example of a game we don't win last year.

The problem being that most of these seniors have proven through 3 years of games they aren't much better and have no upside.

I can agree that most of the seniors/older players have struggled. Silver and Hall are more type players that can pinch hit or bring in for fielding. With that said, Felts needs more playing time. He's never had a special season but he's consistently hit around .270 and .280. He's also consistently been a big hit guy. I would prefer to see Felts as the starting catcher, with Barrera and Montalbano sharing time at DH.

Edited by utisdabomb12

Valid point. The concern is the inability to develop hitting with these players. I assume Augie is a great talent evaluator after all these years, but have these light hitting vets not been coached well? Will the current frosh be coached up to be good hitters? Hopefully harminson can earn his keep and make a positive change in year two of his tenure as hitting coach. This under coaching theme seems to be a repeating theme, real or not, with Texas athletics over the last few years.

• Administrators
Augue does give quite a few light hitting rookies the starts. Agree with your comment on playing the veterans more, especially in these non-conference games.

Coach Garrido's M.O. has always been to use midweek games as an incubator for the young talent on his teams. Long term these games don't mean much to the Horns' season (especially compared to Pan Am's), so his school of thought has merit if it develops the youth to be better contributors in May & June.

Valid point. But I would like to point out that the starting P today for Pan Am was no slouch and this is another example of a game we don't win last year.

exactly what i was thinking. the second stanford game would have been a loss last year. but we won it in the ninth. this game would have been a loss last year. but we won it in the ninth. not our best effort, but damn it, we won it. that is Longhorn Magic. its been missing for awhile, but each of those wins boosts the players confidence that the Longhorn Magic is back. that's the will to win that's been missing. confidence in baseball is everything. you get your dobber down and you lose. simple as that.

want some more magic? Jacob Felts. Probably the last guy on the bench. Strokes a laser liner to win in walk off fashion. What a great thing for Jacob. It really shows these freshmen that an upperclassman like Felts can take his role on the bench and still stay focused enough to find a winner when he needs it.

And I love, love, love the shaving cream pie. Who was that who gave it to him? Kudos in any case.