Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And the party rolls on at the College Station country club...

Randolph Duke

I have said a number of times that Kevin Sumlin's approach to recruiting and coaching at tamu is distinct and, in SEC fashion, seems to give "certain considerations" a low priority. The drug arrests of tamu players are beginning to stack up.

Last November, Kenneth Marshall and Jordan Richmond were arrested for possession of both marijuana and possession of prescription medication. Marshall's arrest came just six months after he plead to a prior arrest for possession. In Dec, Darian Claiborne was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of prescription medication. Last weekend, Isaiah Golden, Darian Claiborne and 2014 signee Speedy Noil were all detained at the same time when police smelled marijuana in car they were driving in. Golden and Claiborne were arrested (Claiborne's second arrest within 90 days). Noil was released. (Noil will evidently be wearing Manziel's #2 jersey next fall.)

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/24/texas-aandm-football-players-arrested-weed-handicap-spot/#ixzz2uG8lpKLa

Multiple players are not just partying, but stacking (combining alcohol, weed and prescription meds). Players are getting multiple arrests in short time frames (Marshall, Claiborne). Noil was an early enrollee and six weeks after being on campus is out partying hard with other players (great job of stressing leadership there, Kevin). The the kind of partying that is going on and players not being slowed down by arrests makes me believe beyond a doubt there have to be many instances of failed drug tests being ignored at tamu.

Charlie Strong and Kevin Sumlin are offering two very different options for high school athletes wanting to play football in college. I don't doubt Kevin Sumlin is reminding recruits he isn't expecting athletes to make it to class on time, sit in the front two rows or really work all that hard toward a degree.

I can't say for sure that the Kevin Sumlin culture is starting to come back to haunt the ags (yet), but Sumlin absolutely has to know what the culture of his program is. He has to know the use of illegal drugs is pervasive within his program. I have no idea how many players aren't sitting in classrooms this spring, but if Manziel was allowed to take an entire semester of online classes, you can bet others also want the same perk offered to them.

Some on this board have said aggy is cheating by offering money. I'm not as sure of that as I am sure of the fact that Sumlin is unquestionably using the lure of online classes toward an "Agricultural Leadership" degree and free a party culture in his recruiting strategy. One other thing I am sure of is that after offing his recruits one atmosphere, he can't crack down on them once they have signed to play for him. To me, the issue isn't college kids drinking alcohol or smoking pot. It's about athletes showing discipline and it's about the culture of the program. College is a tough environment for a lot of individuals and even more so when they have the added demands of playing college sports at a high level while trying to get a college degree.

I just hope Coach Strong continues to offer recruits a clear alternative to what Kevin Sumlin is offering. I like Charlie Strong's long term strategy for building a program much more than I like Kevin Sumlin's. A couple more drug arrests over at the College Station country club and things will start to get very interesting.

Edited by Randolph Duke

FWIW. richmond was not on the team last fall. marshall was listed on the roster (although rumors were that he left the team before the fall), but never dressed out. fairly confident that he is no longer on the team.

the folks in this story were found with less than 2 ounces of weed. i'm not sure where the reputation for "stacking" is coming from, but aside from claiborne i've heard of no such issues.

as for agricultural leadership, it's no different than "youth and community studies" at UT.

no excuse for what these kids did, but i doubt the situation is quite as dire as it's made out to be.

FWIW. richmond was not on the team last fall. marshall was listed on the roster (although rumors were that he left the team before the fall), but never dressed out. fairly confident that he is no longer on the team.

the folks in this story were found with less than 2 ounces of weed. i'm not sure where the reputation for "stacking" is coming from, but aside from claiborne i've heard of no such issues.

as for agricultural leadership, it's no different than "youth and community studies" at UT.

no excuse for what these kids did, but i doubt the situation is quite as dire as it's made out to be.

Or it could be worse than what you're actually hearing and reading in the newspapers. The media is always the last to know. Frankly, I'm surprised the B/CS police would even let this news get out. They should work more closely with A&M.

After all, aggie students are their golden goose.

Time will tell.

And I didn't even mention the fact that 1 of every 10 scholarship athletes were ineligible to start the season last year for tamu because of various suspensions. The "discipline" seems to roll on and with Speedy already getting to know the tamu "traditions" it looks like we can expect more of the same for the future.

FWIW. richmond was not on the team last fall.

Don't let tamu find out that Richmond wasn't on the team as of last season. They still even have his bio up on their official website.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205502919

And for the record, Joe, I don't expect very many aggy faithful to see a thing wrong with how Sumlin is handling things. Drug arrests will not be something any aggy complains about as long as Sumlin goes 4-4 in SEC games and delivers 8 wins in a season.

Edited by Randolph Duke

that doesnt mean anything. they still have luke joeckel's bio up, and he was with the jaguars last year (http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205236090)

until it becomes a larger issue on the levels as the one that you're describing, i wont really worry about it.

and hey, if delivering 8 or so wins a year can keep a coach employed by UT for four years, why would it be any different for A&M? :)

Edited by PropositionJoe

that doesnt mean anything. they still have luke joeckel's bio up, and he was with the jaguars last year (http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205236090)

until it becomes a larger issue on the levels as the one that you're describing, i wont really worry about it.

and hey, if delivering 8 or so wins a year can keep a coach employed by UT for four years, why would it be any different for A&M? :)

this seems to be your role here: defend everything TAMU. what did you expect when you signed up to post on a UT board?

One would think that if a player got arrested on multiple drug charges and then got arrested again less than 90 days later when someone in the car he was in was in possession, the coach would test individual to see if he was still using illegal drugs. Also if a kid was on campus less than 60 days and was out drinking with guys who had been arrested for possession and all was let off of a MIP because the cops wanted to give him a break, the coach would test the kid to see if he was using illegal drugs. The coach wouldn't, of course, if he knew he didn't want to have to say he knew of the results of the test.

Claiborne will get tested by the courts. Sumlin won't be able to ignore that. I am sure that when the "suspensions" come in for the various drug arrests the ags will say "nothing to see here" and the rest of the non-SEC world will not be surprised at the leniency of Sumlin's "discipline."

Sumlin has shown he is building a certain culture at tamu. Hopefully Charlie Strong will also build a certain culture at UT.

and hey, if delivering 8 or so wins a year can keep a coach employed by UT for four years, why would it be any different for A&M?

Good point. Of course Mack was just 1-1 in MNC games and only added one championship while he was coach. Sumlin can honestly say he is undefeated in MNC games and the ags have added two national championships since hiring him. Advantage aggy.

Regardless of what their status was/is, they are aggy and this is indicative of what happens to those who become aggy. This is symptomatic of whats going on in your program.

If your school's leadership takes the same "fit the excuse" as you have, this problem will only get worse and worse. And you better believe Charlie Strong will use it against aggy in every single living room he visits.

The "stacking" is the combination of drugs/alcohol to gain a certain state of mind. Sure sounds like thats whats going on. And the cases are begin to stack as well.

Parents are going to start seeing that culture as well. It killed Barry Switzer's term at BlowU. It might do the same to Sumlin.
i suspect this will prove to be correct.

Coach Strong to recruit's mama..."We expect them to go to class, sit up front and pay attention. If they don't there are repurcussions.'

Coach Sumlin to recruit's mama..."Ever heard of a SwagCopter?"