Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: I don't get the Eiffel Tower

Brasky

From an architectural standpoint, I guess. But maybe just all around. Admittedly, I don't know much history but I have been there. I guess I can't understand it's iconic place in world architecture unless it's only significance is that it's in a wonderful city (I can't imagine it would garner the attention if it were in a dump like, say, College Station, TX). Seems like I might recall that it was originally despised and maybe that's what became charming?? I do realize I could look this up but I'd rather just have you imbeciles tell me where I'm wrong.

Just off the top of my head. Mass production of steel was relatively new. "Skyscrapers" of the period top out at about 10 stories and still used mostly stone and brick. The modern method of steel infrastructure still just over the horizon. The Eiffel Tower helped spark the early 20th Century inner city building boom. With the use of steel, the sky was the limit.

What type of buildings do you like architecturally just for point of reference? I love architecture.

I appreciate it too (I think). I've been around Europe and admired many of the structures both old and new. It's not that I'm hard to please. I think it's like a lot of art. I look at some "masterpiece" and I won't understand and then I'll see something from an unknown that I think is brilliant.

Just off the top of my head. Mass production of steel was relatively new. "Skyscrapers" of the period top out at about 10 stories and still used mostly stone and brick. The modern method of steel infrastructure still just over the horizon. The Eiffel Tower helped spark the early 20th Century inner city building boom. With the use of steel, the sky was the limit.

Very interesting.

Been there twice. Can't recall all the history, but was delivered in sections, then assembled. The engineers, under Gustave Eiffel, were bridge designers and understood the importance of wind, hence the unique design. Saw this interesting quote on Wiki "As a demonstration of the economy of design, if the 7,300 tonnes of the metal structure were melted down it would fill the 125-metre-square base to a depth of only 6 cm (2.36 in), assuming the density of the metal to be 7.8 tonnes per cubic metre." When it is lighted at night, it's pleasant to be on the grounds beneath it.

At one point (125 years ago) it was architecturally significant. Now it's inseperably associated with Paris and therefore all things we associate with Paris (romance in particular). Due to the fact that there are no really tall buildings in Paris you can see it from just about anywhere in the city that has a bit of elevation.

I lived in Paris for a couple of years and got bored with it pretty quickly. Most locals are fairly unplused by it. But the tourists flock.

I don't think it's much different than the Washington Monument, the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hollywood sign. They're much more significant in terms of their associations and cultural significance than they are actual items of beauty and awe.