Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Astros fans here? Let's talk expectations this season

joeywa

My Dad and I used to listen to the Astros on the transistor radio in the backyard after supper. I can remember back to about 1971 when I was about 4. Good times.

I bought tickets to the first Astros home World Series game. My guests: my Mom and Dad. The game was brutal but it is a memory I will cherish forever.

Streettopeschel, great points on Red and Niekro. I could have gone on and on about the players I have loved for the Astros.

My Dad and I used to listen to the Astros on the transistor radio in the backyard after supper. I can remember back to about 1971 when I was about 4. Good times.

I bought tickets to the first Astros home World Series game. My guests: my Mom and Dad. The game was brutal but it is a memory I will cherish forever.

Streettopeschel, great points on Red and Niekro. I could have gone on and on about the players I have loved for the Astros.

Yep, you're about the same age as me. Those were some fun teams to watch. Bob Watson at 1B; Enos Cabell (sp?) Caesar Cedeno, JR Richard, Niekro, Nolan, Ashby, Cruz, etc., etc., etc.

The lineup at the end of the year looking something like this...

Fowler - CF

Altuve - 2B

Castro - C

Springer - RF

Singelton - 1B

Carter - DH

Santana - LF

Dominguez - 3B

Villar - SS

I think Grossman will still be in the OF picture, and may come out of Spring as a starter. He is probably the best OBP guy on the roster in a sea of high K%s. I doubt they break camp with Springer due to rights issues. At 1B, it is wait and see (they lost the big guy from Mexico already who I was looking forward to seeing). Villar's defense is a real concern esp. with them seeking out ground ball pitchers.

What if Stassi hits well in Spring? Castro to 1B?

I think Grossman will still be in the OF picture, and may come out of Spring as a starter. He is probably the best OBP guy on the roster in a sea of high K%s. I doubt they break camp with Springer due to rights issues. At 1B, it is wait and see (they lost the big guy from Mexico already who I was looking forward to seeing). Villar's defense is a real concern esp. with them seeking out ground ball pitchers.

What if Stassi hits well in Spring? Castro to 1B?

I said lineup at the end of the year.

#1 farm system in the MLB. they are coming.

what IS funny is the Rangers' fans leaving the bandwagon as quickly as they came.

It is also funny that there has never been an Astros thread anywhere that at least one Rangerfan did not try to crap on.

Slim would be proud; I've got an old ratty blue Astros cap with the H in the star emblem on the front. I wear it quite often during the summer months, and it looks like it!

Yahoo sells this cap minus the "old ratty"... just got a couple in the mail. Its my favorite Astros design...

Embry, I used to lay on the floor with my dad as a toddler and listen to Gene Elston call the games. "Rooster Raider" Rusty Staub, Toy Cannon, Dennis Menke, and the like. They were not that good then, but I grew up a fan of the team. I hope Mr. Crain allows the front office to field a championship team.

• Administrators

Grew up an Astros fan but converted to the Rangers in middle school. The late 70's-early 80's 'Stros teams were the best. Give me some Terry Puhl, Art Howe, Jose Cruz, Craig Reynolds......

Still root for them but my pro-baseball team plays in Arlington.

Gene Elston and Lowell Passe.

I think it was a mistake to fire both these guys.

Elston bc he was greatness.

But also Passe bc he helped the Astros lock up the East Texas market. When he was let go, it let the Rangers get a toe-hold in there.

“And he breezed him one more time!”

"How bout them oranges?"

"Hot ziggity dog and sassafras tea"

"Now you chuckin' in there"

Here is some Loel Passe audio -- can hear the scoreboard going off (is it Lowell or Loel?)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BRrTX3YP8NM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Juan Grande

• 1 month later...

Update --

Grossman did make the starting lineup in the OF, batting 2nd, due to his relatively high OBP.

Springer will not break camp with the big league team (see post above)

At 1B, Guzman will be the opening day starter (but Krauss is the current fav to get the bulk of actual starts there).

Villar is starting and is still a poor fielder.

• Administrators

I thought this was interesting. Since it paints a picture of the Astros as a highly regionalized team (and there aren't any other bsb threads), I'll post it here...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Which baseball teams are most popular in each U.S. county, according to Facebook: <a href="http://t.co/lHy5lcUT9w">http://t.co/lHy5lcUT9w</a> <a href="http://t.co/GpFK283Nvm">pic.twitter.com/GpFK283Nvm</a></p>— Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) <a href="

">March 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So here's the lineup most likely to be thrown out there tomorrow.

Fowler - cf

Grossman - lf

Castro - c

Altuve - 2b

Carter - dh

Guzman - 1b

Dominguez - 3b

Hoes - rf

Villar - ss

Altuve is batting 3rd (although your idea might be better)

And Guzman then Carter, at least for Game 1.

It is here if you wanna see it http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140330&content_id=70455194&notebook_id=70466980&vkey=notebook_hou&c_id=hou

Carter might also work in the 3 hole, since he does not have many GIDPs (Altuve has alot).

Carter is pretty much TTO batter - either strikes out or hits a HR (or slight chance of a walk).

Then Castro at clean-up and Altuve at 5).

Edited by Juan Grande

Hard for me to say since I was only able to watch about 2 games on TV last year. But .500 is a probably a good goal for this team and anything less than 90 losses would indicate progress.

Sigh...

Agree.

.500 would be fabulous but hard to see it happening.