Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Max Wittek: " Texas Should Not be Perceived as a Front-runner"

primal defense

Transferring USC QB Max Wittek to vist Texas

Southern California quarterback Max Wittek is scheduled to visit Texas this weekend and has been in contact with several other schools as he considers where to transfer.

Wittek is on target to graduate with a degree in psychology in May. He will be eligible to play next season, and have two years left.

He said he has also heard from coaches at Louisville, Virginia Tech, Hawaii and TCU. It's a more enjoyable recruiting process than he went through as a highly touted prospect for California football powerhouse Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana. Former USC quarterbacks Matt Leinart and Matt Barkely also played at Mater Dei.

''The only people I really talked to are people that really need me. People who have a hole or a little space that they'd like to fill,'' Wittek said Thursday. ''It makes the process a little easier.''

Texas has David Ash returning next season, after he missed most of the 2013 season because of a concussion. Texas announced last month Ash, who will be a senior next season, had been cleared for offseason workouts. The only other experienced quarterback for Texas is Tyrone Swoopes, who will be a sophomore.

The quarterback competition at Louisville seems to be wide-open after the departure of Teddy Bridgewater. Same goes at Virginia Tech, where Logan Thomas was a starter for the last three years.

Wittek said he is in no rush to make a decision and is not close to narrowing down his choices. Texas should not be perceived as a front-runner, he said. The Longhorns with new coach Charlie Strong were the first to contact him.

''I'd like to start to go see these places and have those face-to-face conversations,'' he said.

Wittek threw for 600 yards and three touchdowns in two seasons for USC, but Cody Kessler, who will be going into his junior season just like Wittek, emerged as a solid starter for the Trojans in 2013 after a sluggish start for both players.

Wittek said he's received great support for USC, which is in its first year under new coach Steve Sarkisian. He said he's spoken to former Trojans stars Keyshawn Johnson and T.J. McDonald about how best to continue to his college career.

He also said he can lean on his parents and high school coach, Bruce Rollinson, for guidance.

''I value his opinion more than anyone in the world,'' Wittek said about Rollinson.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/transferring-usc-qb-max-wittek-224555389--ncaaf.html

If David Ash has been cleared to play...I believe he has...I hope he starts all our games in 2014 and has a great season and has an injury free season. I hope Swoopes can get a lot of quality playing time and continue to develop. I hope Heard can redshirt and be ready to kick some major butt in 2015. Would be nice if Michael Brewer could transfer in. Other than that...whatever.

If David Ash has been cleared to play...I believe he has...I hope he starts all our games in 2014 and has a great season and has an injury free season. I hope Swoopes can get a lot of quality playing time and continue to develop. I hope Heard can redshirt and be ready to kick some major butt in 2015. Would be nice if Michael Brewer could transfer in. Other than that...whatever.

I agree!

Hook 'em!

I don't know other than depth reasons why this is exciting. He may have been highly rated, but doesn't seem to be anything other than a poor man's David Ash so far. Now if Ash is out for good we would most definately need him.

If Wittek had been fighting for the USC job with Case McCoy, he'd have started and would likely be regarded much more highly than a concussion prone David Ash. David Ash has some talent but with injury issues HE is a poor man's version of what we really need.

Depth reasons are EXTREMELY important when you look at our current QB roster.

• 2 weeks later...

From last night ....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>All signs point to Wittek ending up at Texas unless another team impresses.</p>— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerCBS) <a href="

">February 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From last night ....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>All signs point to Wittek ending up at Texas unless another team impresses.</p>— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerCBS) <a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'twitter.com', '/JFowlerCBS/statuses/438833290829504513']);" href="

">February 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So, he is basically saying we get to date the prettiest girl unless...someone better looking coming along. Boy, way to stick your neck out there.

Someone posted Wittek's full high school stats, since his college data is somewhat limited.

In all honesty, they are not that impressive.

This is especially so when stacked beside some of the numbers coming out of in-state QBs.

Still, IMO, our depth is so thin that we have no choice but to jump at the chance to bolster a depth chart weakness with an experienced player who has already received good coaching at a solid program.

a healthy ash, in my opinion, is way better than wittek/swoopes etc.

a healthy ash could be a legit NFL caliber player.

Agree, and the stats bear this out.

I posted his Adj QBR #s awhile back in another thread on Ash, and they put him the the top 25% nationally.

But even some UT fans are still not buying it.

I dug those up

A healthy Ash is much more than "serviceable." He is in the conversation for best QB in the conference with Petty, Knight, Walsh, Webb and Waters.

His adj. QBR for 2012 was a solid 77.7.

Here are the returners for 2014 --

Petty was 85.5 for 2013.

Webb was 82.6 (not bad for a guy who lost his job).

Walsh was 75.0

Knight was 71.1 on small sample size (94.7 in the Bama game).

Waters was 66.0 (95.9 v. Michigan in their Bowl).

Tricket was 60.9.

Boykin 41.2.

Others -- McCoy was 64.7, Blake Bell was 70.0 and Bridgewater was 80.8.

i have two sons of my own, and as a dad i cringe when i think about ash getting back on the field and risking another concussion.

broke my heart when swope had to give up his football career with the cardinals after getting yet another concussion in practice.

I know all of us have some concern about David's future. BUT...there's not one person on this board (unless David posts here) that knows even one one hundredth as much about his condition as does he and his parents. I do not know David's parents personally but I have a very close friend that does. I can assure you that there's no one in the world that cares more for their son (and that would include you and your sons) than does the parents of David Ash.

Therefore, since they're the ones that have the actual knowledge and actual information about what his "situation" really is, and they've given it their 100% approval, I don't even come close to cringing when I think about David coming back.

Why are you cringing when you don't have a clue about what his problem actually is??? All you could possibly know would be derived from ridiculous rumors posted on a message board. Wouldn't it be more logical that the truth is that the chance of additional injury is extremely small........in light of David's own parents being on board with this??

a healthy ash, in my opinion, is way better than wittek/swoopes etc.

a healthy ash could be a legit NFL caliber player.

Even if you believe he could be "NFL caliber", it's a theory that will never be tested.

If we're very lucky, he'll make it through his college career, but anyone who has serious concussion issues when they're 20 would be ill advised to try a career against bigger, faster and stronger defenders. Even if he played incredibly well to close out his college career, felt he could do it, and wanted to do it - I don't think there's an NFL team that would draft a QB with a history of concussion problems in this age of head injury hysteria.