Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

True Detective

Sejjr

I was a couple of episodes behind, so last night I was catching up. I went back to episode 2 to refresh my memory where things ended and I noticed at the end, as the camera pans up and away from the burned out church the background music was Roky and the 13th Floor Elevators playing their 60s hit "Kingdom of Heaven."

I knew T Bone Burnett was the music director so I did a little googling and found this article. It includes a Spotify list of most of the music so far. Names like:

Steve Earle

Lucinda Williams

Dwight Yoakum

John Lee Hooker

Check it out.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-music-and-true-detective-a-playlist-of-grim-songs-score-hbo-drama-20140224,0,7385254.story#axzz2uMDaI4Py

I was a couple of episodes behind, so last night I was catching up. I went back to episode 2 to refresh my memory where things ended and I noticed at the end, as the camera pans up and away from the burned out church the background music was Roky and the 13th Floor Elevators playing their 60s hit "Kingdom of Heaven.".....

How very Austin of them.

I wonder if Bongo Boy had them put it in?

FWIW, here is the first writer I have seen that hates the show. I get the feeling this woman hates most stuff, but judge for yourself -- http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2014/03/03/140303crte_television_nussbaum

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>"Tonight the Yellow King gives idols to the cult, perpetuatin' the fairy tale once more. Just kiddin, all right!" -McConaughey to the mirror</p>— @midnight (@midnight) <a href="

">March 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think the finale will resolve in the conventional way. In fact, it will probably not resolve at all.

What are the odds on Rust dying, on Marty dying and/or on both of them dying?

Who is the Yellow King? Has he even been introduced (lawnmower man) or is he so powerful and behind the scenes that he will always remain a mystery?

My guess: Rust gets killed and Marty finishes off the YK.

Another article.

Sunday is the end.

The “True Detective” Creator Debunks Your Craziest Theories -- As Sunday’s finale looms, Nic Pizzolatto discusses the first season’s arc, crazy fan theories, misogyny, female nudity on the show, and Season 2.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/true-dectective-finale-season-1-nic-pizzolatto

Let’s begin with the ending of Episode 7, when we see Errol, who is, or had better be, the Spaghetti Monster. How did you build to that moment, and why did you decide to end the episode on that note?

Nic Pizzolatto: Going into the final episode, I wanted to end any audience theorizing that Cohle or Hart was the killer, and also provide a concrete face to the abstract evil they’re chasing. So, wild speculations aside, we showed the killer’s face in Episode 1. Though we know that as this “third man,” whose face was scarred by his father, Errol is himself a revenant of great historical evil. There’s enough fragmentary history in Episode 7 that, like Hemingway’s iceberg, what is obscured can be discerned by what is visible. We have further context and dimension to explore with the killer, but the true questions now are whether Cohle and Hart succeed, what they will find, and whether they’ll make it out alive.

I saw you tweeted Willa Paskin’s Slate piece that praised the show and its portrayal of misogyny; Emily Nussbaum’s New Yorker review also looked at the show and its women, but was critical. You’ve said that True Detective’s view of women has been a result of focusing on two point-of-view characters who are men. Have you been listening to that thread of criticism? What do you think of it?

NP: Well, the show is plainly showing a vein of misogyny running through not just these men but their culture. To the idea that this is not on purpose, or that the females are one-dimensional, I’d say we’ll agree to disagree. If someone sees Maggie as merely some kind of fuming shrew, then that viewer is revealing their own prejudices, not the show’s. Given that neither of our leads has a healthy relationship with a woman, and given that we only see things in their POVs, that women are not given a full representation is correct for the story being told here.

This is a close, two-person point-of-view show, and the story is bound to those perspectives, with a few loose variations. In the structure of this telling, the other characters exist in relation to Cohle and Hart. However, if someone comes on screen for one exchange in the entire show, I believe they have dimensionality — the fact that their presence in the show exists only in relation to Cohle and Hart does not diminish their spark. Of the women Hart has affairs with, I wouldn’t expect them to be the most mature and stable of people, given his character and the difference in their ages. The gender criticism was expected, but it seems very knee-jerk in the total context of what we did here and what the show is supposed to be. It’s easy to use such a political concern as a blunt, reductive instrument to rob the material and performances of their nuances. But there was no way to tell this story, in this structure, without that being an easy mark for someone looking for something to criticize.

There’s also the issue of nudity, which has been very boob-y (and HBO-y). How did you decide what the sex scenes would look like?

NP: The staging was more or less there in the scripts, and then Cary and I worked together on the execution. But there is a clear mandate in pay-cable for a certain level of nudity. Now, you’re not going to get our two lead movie stars to go full-frontal, but we at least got Matthew’s butt in there. There’s not a great deal of nudity in the series at all, though, compared to other shows on pay-cable. I’d be happy with none. Seems to me if people want to see naked people doing it, there’s this thing called “the internet.”

Edited by Juan Grande

Phenomenal concluding episode. Great wrap up. Tied up the important plot points yet left just enough loose ends to keep people talking about it. Brilliant but that's what Great mysteries do.

I've been telling everyone all along that it's a different take on the buddy cop story at it's heart. That's how the director described it to me at the audition. So I'm kinda cheating. I figured it would tie these two guys together in the end.

• 6 months later...

Apparently young Russians love the Cohle character

Rust Cohle has a closer affinity with Russian cultural history than most of the characters currently written for Russian TV.

It's no secret that the Russian television audience likes its heroes dark, philosophical and well-spoken. Rust Cohle is all of those things. Some may even claim that his bitterness reflects that of young Russians, with their constant awareness of new restrictions imposed by the government. The Russian blogger Duran even photoshopped an election flyer, in time for the country-wide municipal elections in Russia, with actual quotes from the show posing as election promises:

BxewHjFCEAAXcCm.jpg_large_742_450.jpg

“Vote for Rust Cohle! Candidate for Caracosa County.
"I think human consciousness is a tragic misstep in evolution.
We became too self-aware. We should have never existed at all.
We are things that labour under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact:
EVERYBODY IS NOBODY.
The honourable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction; one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.
LET'S SAY “NO†TO THIS UNIVERSAL DELUSION.â€

http://calvertjournal.com/comment/show/3146/true-detective-rust-cohle-a-hero-of-our-time-russia?curator=MediaREDEF