Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

True Detective

Nice article about shooting that last scene in the last episode

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-the-amazing-full-6-minute-tracking-shot-from-true-detective-20140211

If you like the show, you will like this piece

And ....

If you like the general topic of "Extended Takes" then have a look at this as well

http://www.geekweek.com/2010/01/20-greatest-extended-takes-in-movie-history.html

Edited by Juan Grande
  • 2 weeks later...

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate ​True Detective

Two episodes into the series, True Detective dropped a reference to one of the strangest, most compelling tales in the canon of weird fiction: Robert W. Chambers' The King in Yellow, a collection of short stories published in 1895. Knowing this book is key to understanding the dark mystery at the heart of this series.

This collection of stories has influenced writers from H.P. Lovecraft and Raymond Chandler, to Robert Heinlein, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman and George R. R. Martin. The King in Yellow and his legendary city of Carcosa may be the most famous character and setting you've never heard of.

In fact, the more of the show you watch, and the more carefully you pay attention, you'll find a number of Easter eggs aimed squarely at hardcore fans of the weird fiction genre. I'll touch on a few of the more prominent ones, but I have a feeling the rest of the series will be a bonanza for true detectives of strange fiction.

Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.

Stranger: Indeed?

Cassilda: Indeed it's time. We all have laid aside disguise but you.

Stranger: I wear no mask.

Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

—The King in Yellow: Act I, Scene 2

The King in Yellow is a fictional play within a collection of short stories—a metafictional dramatic work that brings despair, depravity, and insanity to anyone who reads it or sees it performed. Chambers inserts only a few selected scenes from the play into his story collection, and all of them are from the first act. This act, we are told, is a bit of a honeypot, luring readers into the cursed text. If they read even the first few words of Act II they are driven insane by the revelation of horrible, decadent, incomprehensible truths about the universe.

Anyone familiar with Lovecraft's "cosmic horrors" should see the thematic similarity. For his unfortunate protagonists, the ultimate truths of the universe are too much for their overloaded minds to handle. It should not be surprising that Lovecraft incorporated Chambers's The King in Yellow into his overarching Cthulhu mythos, embellishing the elements of the story and adding the fictitious play to his growing bookshelf of equally fictional mythos tomes.

Songs that the Hyades shall sing,

Where flap the tatters of the King,

Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

—Cassilda's Song in The King in Yellow, Act I, Scene II

For many fans of weird fiction, the surprising appearance of this madness-inducing play into what ostensibly appeared to be just another police procedural was a bolt of lightning. Suddenly, the tone of the show changed completely, signaling the descent into a particular brand of horror rarely (if ever) seen on television. The first mention of the play comes in episode two when Rust Cohle, the cynical, nihilistic detective played by Matthew McConaughey, finds the journal of a young former prostitute, Dora Lange, who has been ritualistically murdered.

"I closed my eyes and saw the King in Yellow moving through the forest," Cohle reads aloud from her journal. "The King's children are marked. They became his angels."

It continues.

Is this the 1st season and what channel?

SF,

This is the first year for the series. The neat thing is each year will be an entirely different plot, complete with a new cast of characters. If this debut is any indication, this will become a cult classic. I got HBO specifically for the series. My wife strongly urged me. Something about that Matthew character. :D

SF,

This is the first year for the series. The neat thing is each year will be an entirely different plot, complete with a new cast of characters. If this debut is any indication, this will become a cult classic. I got HBO specifically for the series. My wife strongly urged me. Something about that Matthew character. :D

Thanks! I will wait for Netflix. No HBO.

I am not one who will follow an episode but I did get hooked on "Friday Night" Light and now "True Detective" . I know it coming to an end just like Friday Night Lights did. I am trying to get into "Black Sails". My friends y'all have a great weekend.

Hey, Jim-

Glad you're a fan of Friday Night Lights! I worked on the show and was cast as the Referee that threw Coach Taylor (Kyle Chandler) out of a playoff game in Season 3, Episode 10 ("The Giving Tree"). Great cast and crew to work with on that show; miss 'em every day...

Conch Horn

The show did a good job of showing just how much Texans love there high school football. I never did get tird of the story line. How was the cast to work with. I think some of them still live in the Austin area. My friends y'all have a great weekend.

The FNL cast was a great family to work with. Kyle, Connie, Brad, Taylor, Aimee, Scott, Jesse, Matt, Liz, Tim, Aaron,...all of 'em, just great people on and off the set. Funny thing was, though, that the "McCoy" guys, "J.D." and "Joe" were the only ones that seemed to think they were better than anyone. Consequently, they didn't last long in the storyline. Many crew members were pretty happy when they moved on... :P

There are several cast members that have maintained a presence in the area and it's always a great time when we have the chance to get together for a visit and some storytelling. Kyle Chandler bought a ranch in the Dripping Springs area and serves as a volunteer firefighter in northern Hays County when he's not working on a project. I was always honored when he would ask me what a "...real Texas high school coach" would say in certain situations when he didn't feel comfortable with the script outline in various scenes...and he'd actually use my suggested lines.

Overall, it was one of the most fun things I've ever done and I was privileged to be able to work both on camera and behind the scenes in a truly great series. "Dillon, Texas" was a pretty cool place to spend a part of my life. Even though we wrapped the final scenes in the summer of '10, I still get a little choked up when I drive by the stadium and field house over by ABIA. Lots of late hours, but great memories there...