Find results in...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peppers managed 24 at Combine.

Pierre-Paul got 19.

Jus sayin.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Re: Clowney's bench # (21)> 2 of NFL's top pass-rushers Robert Quinn & Greg Hardy did around same # in Indy & Clowney's even more explosive</p>— Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS) <a href="

">February 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by Juan Grande
Peppers managed 24 at Combine.

Pierre-Paul got 19.

Jus sayin.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Re: Clowney's bench # (21)> 2 of NFL's top pass-rushers Robert Quinn & Greg Hardy did around same # in Indy & Clowney's even more explosive</p>— Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS) <a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'twitter.com', '/BFeldmanCBS/statuses/437965432826253313']);" href="

Touche. However, the KD comparision doesn't hold water since he shoots a basketball instead of rushing the QB :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Clowney's unofficial 40-yd time of 4.47 would be fastest run by a player that weighs 260+ Lbs since 2006. Jimmy Graham would be 2nd (4.56)</p>— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="

To me, this opens up the possibility that Clowney could actually play OLB in a 3-4.

The new DC in Houston is Romeo Crennel. He is a good DC (even great), however, historically his DEs have played the traditional 3-4 DE role and not put up meaningful stats - esp pass rush stats. People in Houston are already worried about the negative effect RAC may have on JJ Watt's pass rush and other skills. I think this is overblown. RAC would have to be a complete idiot not to figure out ways to put Watt in a position to make plays. And he is not an idiot. At least not when it comes to NFL defenses.

The same worries would apply to Clowney if he were asked to play DE in RAC's 3-4. Simple solution, strong side OLB for Clowney. These times show he at least has the speed to cover a TE. Indeed he is faster than the fastest big TE of the last several years.

I think you could absolutely blow some shit up with Clowney out there (move Brooks Reed to ILB) and Watt on the DL.

Edited by Juan Grande
Manziel is the best passer in this draft, and that is not just the Aggie speaking in me. Biggest knock on him by most is his durability, so he bulked up( has been progressively getting bigger since Spring 2013). He has never been sub 4.4 (in his own words) and his mobility is not based around speed but agility and quickness.

IMO, Manziel will be the victim of the Peter Principle. College football will be his highest plateau of achievement. I don't know how this could be any more clear than with Clowneys 40 time. These are the kinds of monsters Manziel will be facing - that are bigger, faster and more experienced then he could ever have nightmares about. He will be a boy amongst men and I would worry about his physical safety.

It's not just Manziel, it's what all NFL QB's face. That's why so many of them get injured.

I'm no draft expert but I don't think Manziel is even a 1st round draft choice. He may be taken by a club with the need to fill stadium seats, but would be the only reason.

Bridgewater is, by far, a better passer and the most polished of the QB crop this year - which is not a great year for QB's anyway.

teddy bridgewater is something like 2.5 inches taller and 7 pounds heavier than manziel. yet no one seems to be concerned about his physical safety.

That is misleading about Bridgewater's weight.

He had oral surgery, lost alot of weight.

Has been slowly putting it back on.

Gained 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks.

More to come.

Context matters.

Bridgewater’s weight was as high as 222 pounds while playing at Lousiville but an oral procedure during his sophomore season caused him to lose a significant amount of weight. His jaw was broken in order to correct an overbite and straighten his teeth.

"I couldn’t eat for two months, and that was a period when I lost most of my weight," Bridgewater said. "So I just want to get back to that range, 220, 225 range, and just feel good.”

To me, this opens up the possibility that Clowney could actually play OLB in a 3-4.

The new DC in Houston is Romeo Crennel. He is a good DC (even great), however, historically his DEs have played the traditional 3-4 DE role and not put up meaningful stats - esp pass rush stats. People in Houston are already worried about the negative effect RAC may have on JJ Watt's pass rush and other skills. I think this is overblown. RAC would have to be a complete idiot not to figure out ways to put Watt in a position to make plays. And he is not an idiot. At least not when it comes to NFL defenses.

The same worries would apply to Clowney if he were asked to play DE in RAC's 3-4. Simple solution, strong side OLB for Clowney. These times show he at least has the speed to cover a TE. Indeed he is faster than the fastest big TE of the last several years.

I think you could absolutely blow some $#@! up with Clowney out there (move Brooks Reed to ILB) and Watt on the DL.

They were talking today about how Romeo would probably be running a 4-2-5 most of the time anyway due to the offensive changes in the last 5 years in the NFL.

teddy bridgewater is something like 2.5 inches taller and 7 pounds heavier than manziel. yet no one seems to be concerned about his physical safety.

What's that got to do with Manziel? Let's put it this way, if Manziel can't scramble, what does he bring to the table? And he is going to scramble and he IS going to be killed.

Let's put it another way - if Manziel had played for UT would you have been so defensive about him?

Colt McCoy was an infinitely better passer (and QB) and I worried about him getting killed as well. As it turned out, he damned near did and he was bigger than Manziel.

Bench press is a very important meadure for a defensive end and clowney being weak in it shows he didnt put in his work in the weight room. he lacks shoulder strength and blovk shedding so he woll be a weakness in run support.

The top 2 DE sack leaders last season were Greg Hardy and Robert Quinn (Mathis is a LB and had 1/2 sack more than Quinn to lead the entire NFL).

At his Combine, Hardy managed 21 reps on the bench. Same as Clowney.

Quinn managed 22 reps. One more than Clowney.

At his Combine, Robert Quinn measured at 6'4, 264.

He ran a 4.68 40.

OK, so Quinn was both smaller and slower than Clowney at the Combine.

Can you guess what they said at that time about his 40 time?

--- "still good for a man his size."

In addition, Quinn --was said to have "off the field issues." He was suspended in college for accepting money from an agent.

And, oh, Quinn was the best pass rushing DE in the entire league last season with 19 sacks.

Greg Hardy, #2 in sacks as a DE (15 sacks), measured at 6'4, 281.

He ran a 4.82 40.

ps - I also looked up Patrick Willis, he had 22 reps. Bad player?

Edited by Juan Grande

The database goes to 2006 ....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks' time in the 60-yard shuttle (10.72) is the fastest time ever in <a href="http://t.co/1gYAm6tTSj">http://t.co/1gYAm6tTSj</a> combine database.</p>— Kyle Bonagura (@BonaguraESPN) <a href="

Agreed on pocket presence, he has a tendency to roll in the pocket unnecessarily and sometimes he does that into the pressure.I completely disagree on arm strength. He unleashed some absolute bombs this year and made throws that I know no other QB in this draft has made. I hear the Evans factor brought up as something that props him up, but when your throws are put in an area where only your WR can make the play then you are doing your job as a QB. He was poor in going through progressions because of the run factor his freshman year but toned that down much better this year, needs to work on his eyes though. The Colt McCoy comparison is incorrect, Manziel's stats are better across the board in his first two years, not even delving into rushing statistics. Bridgewater's biggest positive is his consistency, but nobody brings up his durability issues. Both Manziel and Bridgewater had stats unbecoming of themselves in the latter third of the regular season. Its funny you talk about the monsters Manziel will have to play, but he has played against far more NFL draftees than the other top QBs in this draft and has been more productive with only 2 years under his belt. Bridgewater has decent stats, but I have misgivings about a QB whose team doesn't score more than 40 in a single conference game in such a below average conference, more than one who likes to party in his down time.

had manziel played for UT, yes i'd be defensive of him. i think colt could (and can) still have a productive NFL future. he just got saddled with the browns which is pretty much a death sentence for any NFL player.

good catch on bridgewater. was not aware of that.

manziel has demonstrated the ability to make the throws he needs to. and i dont know about him just being a scrambler. hell there were many times last year where i wished he would have taken off quicker instead of staying in the pocket till the last minute.

he'll be fine in the NFL.

The database goes to 2006 ....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks' time in the 60-yard shuttle (10.72) is the fastest time ever in <a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 't.co', '/1gYAm6tTSj']);" href="http://t.co/1gYAm6tTSj">http://t.co/1gYAm6tTSj</a> combine database.</p>— Kyle Bonagura (@BonaguraESPN) <a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'twitter.com', '/BonaguraESPN/statuses/437998702775369728']);" href="

Here is Cooks' 40-yard run ghosted with that of John Brown of Pittsburg State and Jeff Janis of Saginaw Valley State (all 3 of them ran unofficial 4.3s).

The three of them are matched here with Marquise Goodwin who 4.27 at last year's combine.

simulcam.gif

Edited by Juan Grande

Jackson Jeffcoat turned in a 4.63 40-yard dash (4th best among DLs there)

Vertical - 36-inches (6th best among DLs there)

Bench - 18 reps (5th lowest/recall he had pectoral tear twice over 2 seasons)

Broad jump - 10'3 (tied for 4th best among DLs there and only an inch shorter than Clowney)

His three-cone drill ranked 2nd among DLs there - video below -- this is key in terms of demonstrating his potential to play 3-4 OLB

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RT <a href="https://twitter.com/nfl">@nfl</a>: Jackson Jeffcoat (DL - <a href="https://twitter.com/TexasSports">@TexasSports</a>) runs through on-field drills.

WATCH: <a href="http://t.co/4gMO1x1JMw">http://t.co/4gMO1x1JMw</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NFLCombine&src=hash">#NFLCombine</a></p>— Texas Longhorns (@TexasSports) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexasSports/statuses/438001497499262976">February 24, 2014</a></blockquote>