Find results in...

2015 Recruiting Season is in full swing

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok ladies and gents . . . . just got off the phone with a friend I've been waiting to hear from.     Daylon Mack will be a Horn. The conversation was more interesting than that but sharing it would

Ok, had another phone call come in. This time, it's the KM situation at hand.   I was given a lengthy backstory, an eye-opening version that is so controversial that I am deciding not to repeat it u

Alright. I've been holding my tongue.    I occasionally go and check your post history, as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of parity. I'm not saying that you should be a sunshine pumper but

Posted Images

Are ya'll still actively recruiting Dillman from Denton Guyer?

This is what I saw about one week ago:

Inside Texas saying QB Kevin Dillman is no longer going to be an option for Texas and several other schools because of a lingering Achilles issue:

"Apparently Dillman got some bad medical advice. He tore his Achilles last year. Doctors in LA told them they needed to have surgery but the dad took him back to Sweden where a doctor told him he didn't need surgery. Even if he had surgery right after the injury he still would have had at least 7-8 months to rehab, if not more. Now he's here in Denton and there's nothing we can do with him. Truth be told, I heard he was having a terrible junior year before the injury and had he stayed in LA and had the surgery he may not have started this year. If he wants to play football in college he'll have to switch positions, assuming he gets the medical help he needs."

Mbanasor really is a great DB, so fluid and technical for a guy his size, he may be the best of the Texas DB bunch come NFL draft time.

Maybe we gain some ground. As I put in the other thread, it's strange that he lives so close to DKR and has never been inside. I'm guessing he did not grow up wearing burnt orange. Hopefully this weekend makes a good first impression.

wrt sports injuries, it is a terrible thing when athletes get bad advice. How many here remember Frank Medina, the renowned Texas trainer? He pointed so many athletes in the right direction, whether they played for Texas or someone else. I know he helped a couple of relatives of mine.

The doc in Birmingham that saw Colt after the 09 Nat'l Champ game, is he an ortho? I don't believe that I ever knew his specialty. At the time, he was seeing several professional players, as well as, well known college players.

I wonder why Dillman's dad took him to Sweden.

Hook 'em!

No offer for CB PJ Mbanasor or CB Jaylon Lane today. That's interesting. I like what Strong is doing though. Not just throwing out offers, actually evaluating players.

No offer for CB PJ Mbanasor or CB Jaylon Lane today. That's interesting. I like what Strong is doing though. Not just throwing out offers, actually evaluating players.

Actually, I like that as well, but for a different reason. Unlike someone like Alabama, that offers everyone in the nation, a Texas offer is worth something. It's human nature to desire something that is hard to get - like diamonds, a Bugatti, SFLonghorngirl or.....a University of Texas football scholarship offer!

The recruits that are offer collectors will hate this. And some prima donnas will actually get pissed off about it (I think it has already happened).

That's good.

Actually, I like that as well, but for a different reason. Unlike someone like Alabama, that offers everyone in the nation, a Texas offer is worth something. It's human nature to desire something that is hard to get - like diamonds, a Bugatti, SFLonghorngirl or.....a University of Texas football scholarship offer!

The recruits that are offer collectors will hate this. And some prima donnas will actually get pissed off about it (I think it has already happened).

That's good.

Very good point.

Apparently we offered 2015 QB Zach Gentry (6'6, 230) of Albuquerque, NM (Eldorado)

247's #9 composite pro style http://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Gentry-30305

Here is an article about him ....

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwire-national-blog/OmLMo5ZP7U-AsUsckUaD3Q/zach-gentry,-the-next-great-qb-from-new-mexico.htm

Zach Gentry, the next great QB from New Mexico?

It's not Texas, Western Pennsylvania or Southern California.

But New Mexico, relative to its population, has produced a few notable quarterbacks.

It may be best known for being the birthplace of Ronnie Lott and Brian Urlacher, but the Land of Enchantment has also produced standout signal-callers Jim Everett and Landry Jones.

Everett spent more than a decade in the NFL, compiling nearly 35,000 career passing yards playing for the Rams, Saints and Chargers.

Jones, a Heisman Trophy contender this season at Oklahoma, threw for 3,580 yards and 44 touchdowns as a senior at Artesia (N.M.).

Zach Gentry, a 6-foot-6, 215-pound sophomore from Eldorado (Albuquerque, N.M.) could be next in line.

As a freshman last fall, Gentry backed up brother Sam, now a quarterback at the University of New Mexico. He saw limited action, but his highlight tape was enough to catch the eye of San Diego State, which offered him a scholarship last month.

"Rocky Long called my head coach about a month ago. He was asking about another player, then he saw me (on film)," Gentry said.

New Mexico is also showing early interest in Gentry, who said that his arm strength and accuracy are his biggest strengths right now. With Eldorado moving to a spread offense, Gentry will likely have an opportunity to make more plays with his feet, though he admits, "I tend to be more of a pocket passer."

Gentry said he's been compared to Everett, who was 6-5 and also attended Eldorado, though the two have never spoken.

Gentry gets his advice and guidance instead from older brother Sam.

"He [sam] is working with me, getting me on a schedule," Gentry said. "He's given me a lot of pointers."

Gentry adds to an already-deep pool of Class of 2015 quarterbacks that includes David Sills, Austin Kafentzis, Michael O'Connor, Kevin Dillman and Jayru Campbell.

A strong sophomore campaign from Gentry will thrust him firmly into the national spotlight.

He is a big guy who seems fairly immobile. But around the 3:50 mark of this film, they do show some running highlights.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O6Rd-K7aoM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Juan Grande
Apparently we offered 2015 QB Zach Gentry (6'6, 230) of Albuquerque, NM (Eldorado)

247's #9 composite pro style http://247sports.com/Player/Zach-Gentry-30305

Here is an article about him ....

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwire-national-blog/OmLMo5ZP7U-AsUsckUaD3Q/zach-gentry,-the-next-great-qb-from-new-mexico.htm

He is a big guy who seems fairly immobile. But around the 3:50 mark of this film, they do show some running highlights.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O6Rd-K7aoM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He looks big like a Ryan Leaf or Jim Drunkenmiller or Ryan Mallet.

Edited by SFlonghorngirl

"The doc in Birmingham that saw Colt after the 09 Nat'l Champ game, is he an ortho? I don't believe that I ever knew his specialty. At the time, he was seeing several professional players, as well as, well known college"

REPLY:

Dr. James Andrews is an orthopedic, and one of the go to guys for professional athletes for years. He has an all-star list of clients. He ran a prominent sports med facility affiliated with a former company I worked with as a physical therapist (I worked in a different state than him though). Athletes fly across the country to see him for consult. He has been at the head of orthopedic research and surgery techniques for quite some time.

Edited by MikeV73

My breakdown of recruiting. Take it as you will, I'm no insider by any stretch of the imagination. These are just my predictions based on what I've read and heard, and general educated guesses on where they end up.

1-Ronald Jones-Don't think it's going to happen. The whole not giving him an offer earlier seemed to rub him the wrong way. Honestly, I don't think Texas is that interested in him for some reason either. Maybe it's because they are more interested in other players like Houston, Warren and Jamabo. With Stevenson already in the class, Texas will probably only take 2 more backs if not only one more. There's something there that I don't think Texas likes (there's a reason Larry Porter didn't even offer him, one of the most liberal coaches I've ever seen at handing out offers).

2-Chris Warren-I'm 95 percent sure he's ending up at Texas. Warren seems to love Texas, but more importantly his parents seem to love Strong. I was about 80 percent sure Warren to Texas, but now that the parents seem to be on board I'm thinking this is almost a certainty.

3-Ryan Newsome-I would say I'm about 75 percent sure he's going to end up at Texas. He's good friends with Gray and has been a Longhorn his entire life. I was a little worried about Stidham committing to Tech, because they are friends. Really haven't seen much that makes me think that Newsome wants to go to Tech though. Matter of fact there really wasn't much movement on the crystal balls for 247 for Newsome after Stidham committed, and Newsome visited Tech.

4-Tristian Houston-95 percent sure he's going to commit to Texas. If the visit goes well with Strong on Thursday, he might commit then. Every crystal ball on 247 has him going to Texas.

5-JW Ketchum-80 percent sure he ends up a Longhorn. Every crystal ball on 247 has him locked into Texas. Only thing that worries me about Ketchum is if Texas is truly recruiting him as a QB or as an athlete/WR. I think Ketchum is a good QB but an elite WR. He may want to play QB at the next level, so whoever is offering him as a QB may get him. With that said, Texas seems to be in a big lead at this moment.

6-Kirk Johnson-70 percent sure he ends up a Longhorn. Dad is a former Longhorn, and his parents love Strong after they visited. This recruitment hinges on the parents. If Strong keeps winning over the parents, we get him IMO. His dad likes Strong's strict rules. From California, so that's the only thing that makes me a little apprehensive. If USC and UCLA get more heavily involved things could change. Every crystal ball has him locked into Texas though.

7-Damarkus Lodge-Not going to happen at this moment. Rumors that he might be visiting soon. Get him on campus and things might change. At the moment we aren't in the game though.

8-John Burt- 50/50 on him coming to Texas. His grandmother was/is a dean at Texas. He's also said Texas is in the lead currently for his recruitment and that he loved Austin. Hard to get Florida kids though when you have to battle with Florida and Florida State, so that's why I put it at 50/50. Alabama is also heavily involved and so is Auburn. Right now we lead IMO, but we will see how that plays out later down the line.

9-Kemah Siverand-Said he's planning to visit Texas. Other then that, I really have no clue where he ends up. 247 says Aggyslead, but I don't think anyone has a clue where he's leaning. He's visiting a bunch of places right now, so essentially he's just enjoying the process at the moment.

10-Jordan Davis-50/50 IMO between the Aggys and the Longhorns. Whoever has the better season and utilizes the tight end more, will get Davis. He's not nearly as strong a commit to the Aggys, as most people believe.

11-Matthew Burrell-30 percent chance he commits to the Longhorns. He's planning a visit and is close with Rumph. Right now I think he ends up at Florida or Bama though. Things change after visits, so I may reevaluate this prediction once he visits Austin.

12-Lucier South-Yesterday said he's looking to visit Austin. Can't really make a prediction because it's too early and not enough information out there. I've seen some interviews though and he's a no nonsense guy that likes toughness. When he visits Austin, he will love Strong. Everyone has him going to UCLA or Michigan at this moment. For some reason I think Texas has a good shot to get him if they can get him on campus. I think Strong and South's personalities will mesh.

13-James Lockhart-Not going to happen, for some reason isn't interested in Texas. IMO he's highly overrated though, so that may be a good thing. I saw him play a few times at Ennis and he just overpowered smaller players. Has very little technique though. Not a 4 star player IMO.

14-Shy Tuttle-10 percent chance of Texas getting him. Close with Rumph, but until we get him on campus we aren't going to get a kid away from North Carolina. Will reevaluate this prediction if he ever comes to Austin.

15-Malik Jefferson-40 percent chance of Texas getting him. Texas is in the game now after his visit to Austin. I think he stays in Texas, so whoever has the best season out of Baylor, Texas, Tech, and A&M probably gets him. This recruitment will play out very similar to Davis IMO.

16-Jeffery Holland-60 percent chance he ends up at Texas. Said he's going to visit Texas in the fall. He's a 5 star so I've been watching him for a while now on Twitter. He posts all the time about being a huge Longhorn fan, and he was practically begging for a Longhorn offer. He's from Florida but the guy loves him some Longhorns. The fact that he's visiting now, gives me high hopes for this guy.

17-Anthony Wheeler-65 percent he ends up a Longhorn. It was around 90 percent, but the Sooners are now in the game. Ultimately his recruitment may come down to who has a better year, the Sooners or the Longhorns. I think he wants to stay in state though and most 247 predictions still have him locked into Texas. There should have been more movement on 247 predictions for OU after his visit.

18-Cameron Townsend-95 percent sure he will commit to the Longhorns. All the crystal ball predictions on 247 have him going to the Longhorns. He loves Strong and Bedford. I think he commits soon too.

19-Kendall Sheffield-Not in the game. Get him on campus and things might change.

20-Kris Boyd-60 percent chance he ends up at Texas. Battle between the Longhorns and Aggys. The Aggys haven't offered him and the Longhorns have. Boyd apparently has some issues, apparently may be kicked off the Gilmer football team. Right now I think he's leaning the Longhorn's way, but we will see if things change based on other issues off the field. Great player, but may never see the field if he doesn't get his act together. I don't think the Aggys are going to offer him though, so Texas may get him if he straightens up.

21-Roney Elam-33 percent chance he commits to the Longhorns. Visited this past weekend. The Aggys, Longhorns or LSU could get him, flip a coin. I would put LSU in the lead at the moment based on comments in interviews.

22-Jordan Tolbert-50 percent chance he commits to the Longhorns. Was about 100 percent until Baylor got in the game last weekend. Seems like the staff has somewhat backed off of him, so they may not be going after him anymore. There's a whole bunch of CB talent this year in Texas, so you have to be selective. Baylor and Texas are in a dead heat IMO at this current moment. Maybe a slight edge to Texas.

23-Holton HIll-30 percent chance he commits to the Longhorns. The Aggys are in the lead right now. Get him on campus again, and things can shift. Right now I think he ends up with the Aggys.

24-Soso Jamabo-45 percent chance he commits to the Longhorns. People think he's cooled on the Longhorns, but over 60 percent of the crystal balls still have him locked into the Longhorns. If Texas gets this guy on campus, I think the Longhorns will get him. He was a Longhorn growing up, he's stated several times that he loves Strong, and Plano kids always end up in Austin. Strong seems more interested in Houston and Warren though. If Strong pushed Jamabo, he could get him IMO.

25-PJ Mbanasor- Some people think we pissed him off by not offering him when he visited. Who knows? At this point I really can't make a prediction since we haven't offered him. I don't think he's coming to Texas though regardless.

26-Jaylon Lane-Didn't offer him this past weekend so I can't really make an evaluation. If we offered it would be 50/50 between the Longhorns and Aggys IMO.

27-Will Gragg-25 percent chance he commits to the Longhorns. Apparently he talks to Strong on a weekly basis and Texas has been recruiting him pretty hard. He was also a big Longhorn fan back during the Vince Young days. Arkansas leads now, but if Texas gets him on campus I think they have a shot. Until then, I think Arkansas will get him.

A lot of big names that Texas is in play for, and have a good shot of getting. No reason why Strong can't pull a top ten class this year with decent results on the field.