Find results in...

2015 Recruiting Season is in full swing

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok ladies and gents . . . . just got off the phone with a friend I've been waiting to hear from.     Daylon Mack will be a Horn. The conversation was more interesting than that but sharing it would

Ok, had another phone call come in. This time, it's the KM situation at hand.   I was given a lengthy backstory, an eye-opening version that is so controversial that I am deciding not to repeat it u

Alright. I've been holding my tongue.    I occasionally go and check your post history, as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of parity. I'm not saying that you should be a sunshine pumper but

Posted Images

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The 2015 TX RB class might be 1 of best evr on paper. <a href="https://twitter.com/Soso_Jamabo1">@Soso_Jamabo1</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/ScorealldayCW25">@ScorealldayCW25</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TheJaMycalHasty">@TheJaMycalHasty</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/RJ24II">@RJ24II</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TyreikGray">@TyreikGray</a> 4*+ still left</p>— Colt Barber (@Colt_247Sports) <a href="

">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sotonye Jamabo - Plano West

Chris Warren III - Rockwall

JaMycal Hasty - Longview

Ronald Jones II - McKinney

Tyreik Gray - Houston Episcopal

Rivals ranked their "Top Big 12 recruiters"

RIVALS BIG 12 RECRUITER OF THE YEAR -- Kendal Briles, Baylor

Brian Jean-Marie, Texas

Buzz: The Longhorn staff had to hit the ground running in January to keep as much of the 2014 recruiting class intact and add a few pieces to the puzzle. Jean-Marie was charged with coordinating the efforts of Charlie Strong's staff. He was also instrumental in securing two key late additions. After the de-commitments of Zaycoven Henderson, Trey Lealaimatafao and Courtney Garnett, Texas was left without any defensive tackles in the class. Jean-Marie led the way for as the Longhorns were able to gain the signature of out-of-state standout defensive tackles Chris Nelson and Poona Ford.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1608576#sthash.zR9SJNR9.dpuf

Texas offers 4-star DL Sterling Johnson.

http://247sports.com/Player/Sterling-Johnson-36641

Ranking on Scout: | No. 20 DT | No. 6 in N.C. | No. 286 Overall

Recruiting: Things have really picked up for Johnson over the last few weeks. Alabama and Ole Miss offered recently and he also has offers from schools like Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, and Virginia Tech among others. No favorites right now. He is likely to visit Alabama March 1.

Scouting Report: Johnson is a big lineman who can overpower his opponent on the high school level. He towers over many he goes up against and he takes over games at times.

In the trenches, there is a lot to like about Johnson. His size for one, but there is more than that. He has great anticipation, he is quick off the ball, and he lives in the backfield. He shows good lower-body strength as well.

He can pop up a little quick, so he needs to work on his pad level and leverage. He has strong hands, but they can get better and become a little more active. Another area he can improve in is flexibility helping with his redirection.

His length is a real attribute too and he can keep offensive linemen off him. He really closes well and he has speed to the ball for a big defensive lineman.

Johnson gets up the field in a hurry and he could be a quick tackle at the three-technique or be a big defensive end at the five-technique. He is a versatile defensive lineman with great coordination, very good size, and a lot of upside. He has a nice offer list now and it is only going to get longer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1gZ1wNHtK2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IT has put out its "Behind the Numbers in 2015

-- By Eric Nahlin, Inside Texas Recruiting Editor -- Posted Feb 12, 2014 -- Copyright © 2014 InsideTexas.com"

freebie http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=4844

With the 2013 class filled with holes and the 2014 class short on game-breaking talent, going big is a must. Also Charlie Strong is in need of filling the roster with his types of player, both from a mental toughness aspect and players that adhere to his schemes. Let's look at 2015.

Texas signed 15 players in 2013 and 23 players in 2014. For a meaningless reference, Tennessee signed 37 in 2014. The point is, Texas is going to go big in 2015 with a year and a half to figure out how the 85-man roster needs to be shaped.

We’ve discussed at length the shortcomings of the last two classes. Let’s fix those.

QUARTERBACK

Needs: 1

With a little luck David Ash has two full seasons to play. With Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard waiting in the wings, the 2015 signee will put the position back at its rightful number of four. If Max Wittek decides to transfer to Texas, the numbers here are fine in the short and long term.

RUNNING BACK

Needs: 3

Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron will be gone after this year and Johnathan Gray’s future as a difference maker is in doubt.

Donald Catalon and D’Onta Foreman are unproven commodities though I’m bullish on Catalon. Couple all of that with an abundance of in-state talent at the position and Texas needs to load up. Jordan Stevenson is already committed. He’s a speed back with a great build; if he can read one-cut, he’ll be trouble on outside zone. The previous staff coveted him as a Daje Johnson fit, but even if Texas doesn’t employ a role like that, Stevenson has great value. He’s the fastest running back in the state, McKinney North’s Ronald Jones III included.

WIDE RECEIVER

Texas only big loss after this year is Jaxon Shipley and though UT signed a big class in 2014, including a slot dynamo in Armanti Foreman, they should still go to three at the position if the difference makers are willing to come. I’d take one slot receiver and two downright filthy vertical threats.

TIGHT END

Needs: 2

How about a high school tight end for a change? That’s legal, right? They exist, I assume? Geoff Swaim will finish his two valuable years of eligibility after next year and Greg Daniels graduates as well. Blake Whiteley will still have two years left but Texas will still need another immediate fit – perhaps Juco – and also a developmental high school player. It’s evident from the offensive minds in charge the position will be utilized. Getting a couple of athletes here is a priority.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Needs: 4-5

Joe Wickline and friends did well to finish off the 2014 class strong. Along with the bountiful crop of 2013, numbers shouldn’t be too tight, but Wickline has a lot of pull on the staff. He’ll have the authority to get his numbers. Of the young players, there are some questions. Will the light come on for Camrhon Hughes? Will Kennedy Estelle kickstep his way to class enough to stay in Strong’s good graces? Where is the depth at tackle down the road? Texas already has two offensive line commitments, but both Patrick Vahe and Connor Lanfear could end up elsewhere. If I’m Texas, I target one guard, and three tackles and then take best available down the road if a kingmaker wants to join.

OFFENSIVE NUMBERS: 13-14

DEFENSIVE END

Texas covets size at the position going forward and a ready-made Juco transfer is on the order in the post-Cedric Reed world. The non-existent 2013 class wasn’t corrected in 2014 to the extent the staff needed. Not helping matters, the in-state crop is only fair when it comes to talent. Texas will continue to look nationally. UT needs to hit on some blue-chips because after Reed and Shiro Davis, raw talent doesn’t jump off of the depth chart. I expect Naashon Hughes to end up at the position based on need and his growth curve, but even then he’s more of a Buck than a strong-side option.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

The staff needs to plan for life after Malcom Brown now – Juco should come into play. Again, like DE, the position lacks ‘wow’ talent aside from Brown and Hassan Ridgeway. Poona Ford will likely play early, but with UT’s reported plans to employ 2-gap linemen, Texas will look for greater length at the position for the coming class. Obviously that discounts early commit Bryce English; an athletic yet vertically challenged player. The inside dish with English is LSU is pursuing hard. Maybe that info will make people covet him a bit more. Yet another similarity to DE, in-state options are somewhat limited, at least from an immediate contribution standpoint. Out-of-state offers will be abundant.

LINEBACKER

This number could be four if the staff locates a DE/OLB type. Finding a Mike will be important as Dalton Santos will be heading into his senior year when this class makes it to campus. Ditto Peter Jinkens. The most important player in the class for 2015 happens to be the best outside linebacker prospect the state has produced since Derrick Johnson. Malik Jefferson isn’t only a need from a talent standpoint, he’s the type of player that could help start an avalanche of talented commits. Cameron Townsend is also a need at outside linebacker.

SAFETY

Needs: 2

I’ll be very interested to see the types of players the staff targets at safety. Johnny Shaw is already committed, and on paper, he looks the part, but he struggled in his junior year at West Orange-Stark to say the least. Hopefully Adrian Colbert comes into his own next season with Jason Hall and John Bonney progressing like we think. I’m becoming a fan of Dallas South Oak Cliff’s Prentice McKinney. He has size, and seems to have the willingness and speed to come downhill. Looking out of state is certainly a possibility, as is the hard task of trying to get in the mix for Alabama commit Deionte Thompson.

CORNERBACK

Jalen Campbell is committed, and while he’s a hardcore Longhorn and the best recruiter in the class so far, Texas may have jumped the gun on offering him and that has nothing to do with his unfortunate injury last year. As bountiful as the talent was in 2014 at the position, it’s that scarce in 2015. If I’m Texas, I make a hard run at Lamar’s Holton Hill and then focus on an out-of-state prototype.

DEFENSIVE NUMBERS: 14

Total: 27-28, and I can actually see it go a bit higher.

My next post will consist more on who the takes might be at each position.

Patrick Vahe

"Those two (Teuhema brothers) decommitting has no impact on me. I don't do what they do - my reasons are different. I have my own goals."

"To be honest, I wanted to go to a school that was popular. Baylor, LSU, UCLA, USC, etc. - everybody hears UT and thinks it's just alright. I questioned it for popularity reasons, but I thought about it maturely and know that Texas is for me."

• Administrators
Patrick Vahe

"Those two (Teuhema brothers) decommitting has no impact on me. I don't do what they do - my reasons are different. I have my own goals."

"To be honest, I wanted to go to a school that was popular. Baylor, LSU, UCLA, USC, etc. - everybody hears UT and thinks it's just alright. I questioned it for popularity reasons, but I thought about it maturely and know that Texas is for me."

We need to carry this kid through NSD next year!

Looking at the top 250, I think we have legit shots at getting Cameron Townsend, Soso Jamabo, Keke Coutee. We lead on all three of those guys.

There's about 10-15 other guys we are in play for, but at this moment I would say there's a good chance we get all three of those guys above.

Kind of why I don't like Rivals. There's no reason Jordan Stevenson shouldn't be in the top 250, a current Longhorn commit. He's in the top 250 on 247.

Edited by utisdabomb12
Looking at the top 250, I think we have legit shots at getting Cameron Townsend, Soso Jamabo, Keke Coutee. We lead on all three of those guys.

There's about 10-15 other guys we are in play for, but at this moment I would say there's a good chance we get all three of those guys above.

Kind of why I don't like Rivals. There's no reason Jordan Stevenson shouldn't be in the top 250, a current Longhorn commit. He's in the top 250 on 247.

jordan is #149 on the espn 300 rivals must be stupid or something.

Really stinks to see that young men are starting to feel that Texas is not a "popular" school...doesn't take much to fall from Grace does it. This upcoming season is big, the team needs to look and feel different.

Curious what makes a school "popular". Is it ESPN hype and coverage? Is it new uniforms? Is it not having to go to class?

Or is it something else? $$$? :P