bbdude

2015 Recruiting Season is in full swing

From JB's link:

He didn’t have enough assistants with experience recruiting in Texas, the critics said. And the one assistant he kept from Mack Brown’s staff (Bruce Chambers) is widely perceived as one of the weakest recruiters at any high-profile program.

So why did he keep Chambers? I've heard from others he is a suspect coach. So what is his speciality?

From JB's link:

So why did he keep Chambers? I've heard from others he is a suspect coach. So what is his speciality?

His specialty is supposed to be relationships with TX high school football coaches, particularly DFW. But, if we don't have a presence at Cedar Hill with their HC, Joey McGuire, he's a liability.

Maybe we'll bring in a TE/special team coach? That would be ideal.

His specialty is supposed to be relationships with TX high school football coaches, particularly DFW. But, if we don't have a presence at Cedar Hill with their HC, Joey McGuire, he's a liability.

Maybe we'll bring in a TE/special team coach? That would be ideal.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after next Monday in this area.  I for one wouldn't mind seeing what you described happen.

RS Freshman OLB Cameron Hampton is transferring to Lamar:

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122314aaa.html

Question for our recruiting / scholarship experts -

Does this mean we have room for one more early entry?  Would be a perfect fit for the diminutive one from Miami...

Sometimes I honestly question what Manny Diaz/Mack Brown were doing recruiting wise. 

Hampton is only 202 pounds and runs like a 4.6 40 (in college). Let's compare that to two HS kids. Malik Jefferson 218 and runs a 4.5. Anthony Wheeler is 225 and runs a 4.55. 

There was absolutely no reason we should have been recruiting a LB that small and slow. Hell, even Townsend is 206 and his frame has the ability to put on more weight.  

Sometimes I honestly question what Manny Diaz/Mack Brown were doing recruiting wise. 

Hampton is only 202 pounds and runs like a 4.6 40 (in college). Let's compare that to two HS kids. Malik Jefferson 218 and runs a 4.5. Anthony Wheeler is 225 and runs a 4.55. 

There was absolutely no reason we should have been recruiting a LB that small and slow. Hell, even Townsend is 206 and his frame has the ability to put on more weight.  

40 speed isn't the end-all be-all for a LB.  Instincts and recognition are more important than straight line speed IMO.  Vontaze Burfict was an incredible college LB (when he wasn't freaking out) and he ran a 5.1 at the combine.

Didn't Malik run a 4.38 electronically-timed at SPARQ?

Found it:  http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/7/8/5881335/5-star-malik-jefferson-posts-absurd-4-38-40-yard-dash-at-the-opening

40 speed isn't the end-all be-all for a LB.  Instincts and recognition are more important than straight line speed IMO.  Vontaze Burfict was an incredible college LB (when he wasn't freaking out) and he ran a 5.1 at the combine.

Didn't Malik run a 4.38 electronically-timed at SPARQ?

Found it:  http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2014/7/8/5881335/5-star-malik-jefferson-posts-absurd-4-38-40-yard-dash-at-the-opening

Sure a 40 time isn't the end all be all for a LB. But what's Hampton's skill set? He's small and not that athletic. It's another offer that makes me shake my head in terms of the previous staff. 

The writing was on the wall with those Bedford quotes. No way in hell Hampton was going to beat out Malik, Townsend or even Wheeler (if we land him). You either have size/speed or you don't. Players like Malik, Townsend and Wheeler have much more upside. Maybe Hampton could have been the outlier, but he would have been just that an outlier. That's not to say Malik, Townsend and Wheeler turn out to be hall of famers but I think the staff knew Hampton wasn't the answer. 

We really have a lack of depth at LB and that will not only effect the D but the ST. 

Currently have Hughes-Soph, Santos-Sr, Cole-Jr, Jenkins-Sr. DB convert Freeman-Fr.

Coming in next year is Malik, Townsend, Cherry, Hager. Also, Wheeler would be a very nice and needed get. 
Maybe get Beck back to LB depending on the number of TEs we can get. Also, depending on health and ability maybe Huhn could spin down. 

Definitely need these guys on ST. 

From Burnt Orange Nation

But to get back to Hampton for a moment -- he was undersized coming in and dropped in the recruiting rankings following a strong sophomore season because he seemingly failed to develop, with his lack of weight gain particularly concerning. By the time that he graduated, he was ranked as the No. 61 outside linebacker by 247Sports and bared cracked the state's top-100 players.As a result, the expectations for Hampton dropped considerably, a fact that should decrease the impact of his departure for the spring and moving forward.