Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SEC vs Big 12

TexasFirst1

The SEC is obviously killing it in recruiting over all other conferences and the Big 12 is dead last among the 5 big conferences in 2014 recruiting.

Given the overloading of talent in the SEC, if your goal is winning conference and MNCs, would you want UT to trade places with aggy in the SEC?

I vote no.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SEC is obviously killing it in recruiting over all other conferences and the Big 12 is dead last among the 5 big conferences in 2014 recruiting.

Given the overloading of talent in the SEC, if your goal is winning conference and MNCs, would you want UT to trade places with aggy in the SEC?

I vote no.

Hell, no.

UT is where we want to be. Lead dog in the Big 12.

I vote no.

I like were we are. The BIG 12 will come back. We have had a couple of bad years of playing as a whole and I want to give Coach Strong the chance to build his program here @ TEXAS!!!! Here is to a GREAT 2014!!!

I don't care for the Big XII as presently constructed, but I have no desire to see UT head to the confederacy. I am concerned with some talk I'm hearing about the SEC being very interested in OU, and that interest being reciprocated. IF OU were to leave the Big XII, UT would have no reason to stay in this conference, and every reason to look west to the PAC. IF OU makes a move to the SEC, UT could put a group together of Tech, OSU, and perhaps KU and move west. I think that no matter what happens concerning OU, Patterson is gonna have to take a close look at UT's conference affiliation in no more than five years, and I do NOT see a move to the confederacy in UT's future.

I don't care for the Big XII as presently constructed, but I have no desire to see UT head to the confederacy. I am concerned with some talk I'm hearing about the SEC being very interested in OU, and that interest being reciprocated. IF OU were to leave the Big XII, UT would have no reason to stay in this conference, and every reason to look west to the PAC. IF OU makes a move to the SEC, UT could put a group together of Tech, OSU, and perhaps KU and move west. I think that no matter what happens concerning OU, Patterson is gonna have to take a close look at UT's conference affiliation in no more than five years, and I do NOT see a move to the confederacy in UT's future.

Good post. I tend to think if OU or UT leave the Big 12, the the whole thing blows up. If either leaves, there is no more conference, at least not a BCS conference left.

IMO, at least initially, UT goes the independent route. At some point, Texas will be invited to the SEC. Pressure may have us lower our concerns about the rampant cheating and low standards because to beat a perception, you have to beat the subject of that perception.

Academically, OU is a good fit for the SEC. If you can spell your name, you're in. Worry about verbs later.

Of course the SEC is very interested in OU. The SEC wanted OU with A&M and had to settle for Missouri. The SEC does not want Oklahoma State.

Does anybody think OU can or would go SEC without little Cowpoke as a package?

Would Texas really go Pac with the crew you named, without even OU? A Pac East without OU would be worse than the Big 12.

Wejust need to go to the SEC and get it over with. That or hope that a new division is created that breaks up the conferences in to groups of 6. It would also lead to great scheduling.

The PAC may come back, but it is just to far. With the ACC we would be on an island and in a basketball first league. The only real options I see are the ones listed above.

The alternative conferences are either too far away or have insurmountable academic deficiencies and cheating.

Our best bet is to work on expanding the playoff system and breaking down division 1 into 64 schools instead of 120. This should lead to 4 16 team super conferences. That would solve the travel problem.

The SEC had and has three good teams and aggy wasn't one of them. It's Alabama, Auburn and LSU and all the wannnabe's behind them. The Big 12 had and has two good teams - OU and UT, and all the wannabe's behind them. Let's don't get carried away with Baylor and OSU. Blind hogs find an acorn every now and then and it's good the alsorans win now and then. It causes rededication out of the two real powers and sometime even a necessary purging.

All things being equal, our two powerhouses will beat any of the three SEC powerhouses and the historical records show this to be true.

You youngsters on here need to calm down about aggy, OSU and Baylor - they will return to their place in the grand scheme of things, as will OU and UT. Bet on it.

Of course the SEC is very interested in OU. The SEC wanted OU with A&M and had to settle for Missouri. The SEC does not want Oklahoma State.

Does anybody think OU can or would go SEC without little Cowpoke as a package?

Would Texas really go Pac with the crew you named, without even OU? A Pac East without OU would be worse than the Big 12.

IF OU bolts the Big XII, UT will NOT stay in the conference. There's an outside chance they would consider the SEC, but I'm more inclined to think they'd get at least one partner and head west. A fourteen-team PAC that includes UT will make that conference dominant from the Mississippi River west. What I actually think might happen is OU and UT talk to each other before OU makes a jump, and both agree to broker a deal to move west. I'm not privy to OU thinking, but I kinda get the idea that they would prefer the PAC to the SEC, especially since OU is trying to beef up their academics. I am pretty sure Patterson will take a look before too long at UT's conference affiliation, and if he's as bright as I give him credit for, I'm pretty sure he already recognizes the shortcomings of the Big XII.

The SEC had and has three good teams and aggy wasn't one of them. It's Alabama, Auburn and LSU and all the wannnabe's behind them. The Big 12 had and has two good teams - OU and UT, and all the wannabe's behind them. Let's don't get carried away with Baylor and OSU. Blind hogs find an acorn every now and then and it's good the alsorans win now and then. It causes rededication out of the two real powers and sometime even a necessary purging.

All things being equal, our two powerhouses will beat any of the three SEC powerhouses and the historical records show this to be true.

You youngsters on here need to calm down about aggy, OSU and Baylor - they will return to their place in the grand scheme of things, as will OU and UT. Bet on it.

Thanks for the youngster reference, since I won't see 65 again. I don't entirely disagree with you, but I do think the conference affiliation landscape has changed significantly enough for UT to be looking at its' best option for being in a conference.

I don't think the Big XII is the answer. The conference was good to go when it still included Nebraska, Mizzou, agricultural, and Colorado. If ONLY Colorado had left, they could have been adequately replaced. Losing the other three fatally-wounded the Big XII, and TCU and WVU are NOT adequate replacements for them. It's true that IF UT and OU are good, and choose to remain in the Big XII, it will stay on life support, but I just don't see either school being willing to prop up the conference.

I wouldn't have a problem with UT moving to the SEC, but I just don't see it happening, except as a last gasp move. I really think both UT and OU would prefer a move west to the PAC, and are willing to bring OSU and Tech with them. I also think OU will move to the SEC if offered, and if they don't think UT is willing to move west. If that happens, UT HAS to consider the SEC. UT does NOT want BOTH OU and agricultural in the SEC and recruiting Texas, not to mention the damage LSU is doing now while UT is down.

Bottom line...things are changed from a few years ago, and permanently. There are some conference moves yet to be made, and I think the Big XII is gonna get picked apart like roadkill. UT is in serious danger of getting left behind, or at least having its' choices cut in half, if Patterson doesn't get proactive at looking at the conference landscape and UT's place in it.

A couple of final thoughts..."Winning cures everything" is NOT a long term answer to UT's conference affiliation questions. In the kingdom of the blind, the man with one eye rules. UT would be considered the king of a watered down Big XII if OU leaves. I don't think the ACC is the answer either. UT would be on the same kind of island they'd be on if they went to the B1G, being a member of a fly-over conference, where they'd have to fly over a good part of the SEC to get to their nearest ACC competition. Last...being an independent is NOT the answer for UT. Notre Dame may have an in to the playoffs, but with their ACC deal, the Irish are no longer a true independent. It's just not a route UT wants to go, for various reasons.

Edited by coolhorn

It's true that IF UT and OU are good, and choose to remain in the Big XII, it will stay on life support, but I just don't see either school being willing to prop up the conference.

UT and OU mutually agreed to "prop up the Big 12" by signing a Grant of Rights that doesn't expire until 2023. Nobody can leave the Big 12 without forfeiting their TV rights and proceeds. Rumor is the current conference alignments may go the way of the dodo if/when schools from the Top 5 leagues break away from the NCAA. If that happens, this new 64-team conglomerate may negotiate TV deals as one power-wielding block and encourage regional scheduling and divisions. You could see a 16-team division with UT, aggy, LSU, Arky, etc.

Who knows what the future holds?

I'm fairly content to stay in the Big XII and compete for a spot in the playoff every year. If we do decide to leave - I guess we'd go to the Pac-12 and create a super conference. I assume OU would come with us, and they'd have to bring OkSt with them.

UT's coaches were against going to the PAC 12 unanimously.

UT and OU mutually agreed to "prop up the Big 12" by signing a Grant of Rights that doesn't expire until 2023. Nobody can leave the Big 12 without forfeiting their TV rights and proceeds. Rumor is the current conference alignments may go the way of the dodo if/when schools from the Top 5 leagues break away from the NCAA. If that happens, this new 64-team conglomerate may negotiate TV deals as one power-wielding block and encourage regional scheduling and divisions. You could see a 16-team division with UT, aggy, LSU, Arky, etc.

Who knows what the future holds?

ETA breakway > or < 5 years? Would this hold true for basketball and other sports?

ETA breakway > or < 5 years? Would this hold true for basketball and other sports?

Good question.

It's just a rumor that's football motivated. I honestly don't know how a breakaway will effect hoops and baseball. I'd hate to see the current playoff structures change. I love cheering for the mid-major underdogs during March Madness. Schools like Butler obviously aren't a Top 64 program.

UT's coaches were against going to the PAC 12 unanimously.

That's because several of those coaches thought UT would spend the bulk of their time in the PAC out on the coast, and playing 11 P-M games. That's just not true. UT, OU, OSU, and Tech would be part of a new PAC East Division that would also include the Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah. UT would probably play, at most, two games on the coast, and I suspect neither would be the 11 P-M game. A move to a PAC East is the closest thing UT can get to a regional alignment IF the Horns remain adamant about not going to the SEC. Strictly from a personal viewpoint, I'd have no problem with the SEC. Instead of ONE rivalry game, UT would get back agricultural and Arkeysaw, start a good rivalry with LSU, and 'Bama, and add Auburn to the schedule too, unless Auburn and 'Bama were moved to the SEC East. I enjoyed UT playing 'Ole Miss, that last score notwithstanding...and wouldn't mind seeing the two play every year. Like I said, I'm not opposed to a move to the SEC, but then, I don't make any decisions for UT.