Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack Brown Tweet

utisdabomb12

I hope that's the case, but I've been hearing some stuff is going to come out after NSD regarding Mack screwing Strong with some high school coaches. I sure hope there's no truth to it, because the fallout would not be good for Mack.

Why don't we just hear it right this minute instead of putting out a BS implied piece of pure gossip of what might happen? If you have something, spit it out. If not, let it go. This constant crucifixion of Mack is not accomplishing anything except further dividing our fan base.

From Burton.

"I think Mack is/was about Mack first and foremost. Self-preservation above all and to the very, bitter end. Then came his team as whole, followed by his players, his recruits and coaches and then finally came the school.

When Mack talked to those recruits, I think there was some genuine concern for the recruits but I also know he was also thinking about trying to find another head coaching job in the near future, be it Nebraska or wherever. He was far from unbiased IMO and he was certainly emotional given the fact that he was given an ultimatum of sorts to resign just 3-4 hours earlier.

Just my $.02."

Why don't we just hear it right this minute instead of putting out a BS implied piece of pure gossip of what might happen? If you have something, spit it out. If not, let it go. This constant crucifixion of Mack is not accomplishing anything except further dividing our fan base.

When did I crucify Mack? I love Mack, and hence why I said I hope there isn't anything to the rumors. I never said these rumors are facts, they are just that rumors. Doesn't deny there might be some truth behind the rumors. Some pretty in tuned insiders at Orangebloods and Spurs think some stuff is going to come out regarding Mack and Texas high school coaches after NSD. I honestly have no clue if the rumors are true or not, hence why I said "I hope they aren't true because the fall out would be bad for Mack". I will say based on the people reporting these rumors, I'm a little nervous for what might come out. FYI these rumors were circulating even before there were decommitments and such, so it's not something that's just being thrown out there as some type of deflection on recruiting struggles. The point of my post was not to divide the fan post. That's why I said I hope there isn't any truth to the rumors.

Edited by utisdabomb12

From Burton.

"I think Mack is/was about Mack first and foremost. Self-preservation above all and to the very, bitter end. Then came his team as whole, followed by his players, his recruits and coaches and then finally came the school.

When Mack talked to those recruits, I think there was some genuine concern for the recruits but I also know he was also thinking about trying to find another head coaching job in the near future, be it Nebraska or wherever. He was far from unbiased IMO and he was certainly emotional given the fact that he was given an ultimatum of sorts to resign just 3-4 hours earlier.

Just my $.02."

Just pure speculation, and what the hell does wanting to coach somewhere else have to do with anything? Some recruit is going to look around, see where Mack might end up and go there?

BB's $0.02 is worth $0.01 if that.

From Burton.

Just my $.02."

I know too many guys who've worked for Bobbie.. . .

I also have not heard from a single source Mack cares about working somewhere like Neb that is a clear step down from TEXAS. . . .

Mack's most likely heading to the studio for one of the CFB broadcasters. . .

Tired of all the worthless bullshit. . . .weaker sources than those that claimed 100% saban to texas. . .

This from long time Texas recruit John Bonney. Sound like gossip to you? Here's the link to the story. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24428379/recruit-mack-brown-told-texas-commitments-to-look-around

I was at my official visit when Mack Brown resigned and he told us to go look around. [He said] he'll even talk to other coaches for you and everything because he really just wanted the best for us as players.

Yea, Mack was really giving a shit about Texas. I say keep Mack on but move his official office to College Station.

John Bonney told a houston tv station that mack told them to explore their options after he "resigned".....

How about you listen to what John Bonney's father actually said, and then tell me that Mack took improper action. No coach with integrity would not have said and done the same as Mack, and our recruits respected him for his remarks.

Don't report "what the radio station in Houston reported", when you are getting it second hand from someone else. Just maybe they are only telling part of the story because it is to their advantage.

Edited by since_DKR

Here is what John Bonney's father actually said, for those of you that missed it.

Bonney's Dad sets the record straight

"I was standing right there when he made the statement," Jerry Bonney said. "His first general statement to the kids and all of us [family members] was 'I'm not telling you not to come to Texas. I think this is a fine place and you should stay [if you're committed to Texas]. However, if you are coming here for me to coach you and that was the main reason you were coming, those of you in that category, I certainly encourage you to look elsewhere because I won't be your coach. I'm stepping down immediately after the Oregon game.' "

Jerry Bonney, who was present with his son when Brown made the comments, wanted to clear the air regarding Brown's intentions and called him a "man of integrity" and said he thanked Brown immediately afterward for being up front with the recruits when he delivered them the news of his resignation on Dec. 14, 2013.

"[brown said] 'If I can help you in any way that I can, those of you that have been committed for a long period of time, I love y'all too much to not tell you now so that'll give you ample time to try to do something else if that's what you want to do,' " Jerry Bonney recalled. " 'But I think Texas is a fine place, a good place, they're probably going to pick a good coach, I'm sure they will, but I can't tell you who it will be.' That's exactly how it happened."

Here is what John Bonney's father actually said, for those of you that missed it.

Bonney's Dad sets the record straight

"I was standing right there when he made the statement," Jerry Bonney said. "His first general statement to the kids and all of us [family members] was 'I'm not telling you not to come to Texas. I think this is a fine place and you should stay [if you're committed to Texas]. However, if you are coming here for me to coach you and that was the main reason you were coming, those of you in that category, I certainly encourage you to look elsewhere because I won't be your coach. I'm stepping down immediately after the Oregon game.' "

Jerry Bonney, who was present with his son when Brown made the comments, wanted to clear the air regarding Brown's intentions and called him a "man of integrity" and said he thanked Brown immediately afterward for being up front with the recruits when he delivered them the news of his resignation on Dec. 14, 2013.

"[brown said] 'If I can help you in any way that I can, those of you that have been committed for a long period of time, I love y'all too much to not tell you now so that'll give you ample time to try to do something else if that's what you want to do,' " Jerry Bonney recalled. " 'But I think Texas is a fine place, a good place, they're probably going to pick a good coach, I'm sure they will, but I can't tell you who it will be.' That's exactly how it happened."

I think there are a couple of troubling things in what Mack did. First, how many recruits actually attend a college despite the head coach? Is not the head coach a significant, if not the most significant factor, in a recruits decision making process. Sure, their position coach is important, but I just don't see any recruit committing to a school where they don't like the head coach or at a minimum the head coach wasn't a major factor in why they committed. Mack knew this.

Also, after saying recruits should stay if committed, he then says "if you are coming here for me to coach you" which begs the question, isn't that what all head coaches do, coach their players? Finally, he didn't suggest they look elsewhere...he encouraged it and would even reward their loyalty to HIM by doing what he could for them.

Look, Mack could sell ice to an Eskimo...he's one of the greatest recruiters ever, he could have used this gift to help out his beloved University and the new coach coming in by convincing these recruits he apparently "loved so much" to stay at Texas. I've heard him say many times that he tells recruits to commit to the school, because you will spend the next 4 years there, and a degree from UT will open many doors. Instead, he encouraged them to look elsewhere. Sorry, I'm struggling buying this is Mack playing the father image instead of Mack the bitter forced out coach.

Quite simply, he could have helped UT, his employer, and chose not to.

I think there are a couple of troubling things in what Mack did. First' date=' how many recruits actually attend a college despite the head coach? Is not the head coach a significant, if not the most significant factor, in a recruits decision making process. Sure, their position coach is important, but I just don't see any recruit committing to a school where they don't like the head coach or at a minimum the head coach wasn't a major factor in why they committed. Mack knew this.

Also, after saying recruits should stay if committed, he then says "if you are coming here for me to coach you" which begs the question, isn't that what all head coaches do, coach their players? Finally, he didn't suggest they look elsewhere...he [b']encouraged[/b] it and would even reward their loyalty to HIM by doing what he could for them.

Look, Mack could sell ice to an Eskimo...he's one of the greatest recruiters ever, he could have used this gift to help out his beloved University and the new coach coming in by convincing these recruits he apparently "loved so much" to stay at Texas. I've heard him say many times that he tells recruits to commit to the school, because you will spend the next 4 years there, and a degree from UT will open many doors. Instead, he encouraged them to look elsewhere. Sorry, I'm struggling buying this is Mack playing the father image instead of Mack the bitter forced out coach.

Quite simply, he could have helped UT, his employer, and chose not to.

Well when it comes to trying to “sell some ice to Eskimos” I think you are trying to sell a bit yourself when you chose to pick and choose select words from what Mack said rather than the entire sentence.

You conveniently take the word encourage and emphasize it out of the context that it was spoken.

You conveniently ignore what Mack says FIRST, 'I'm not telling you not to come to Texas. I think this is a fine place and you should stay [if you're committed to Texas].”,

And then you choose to emphasize one word out of his following opening remarks --, IF.. IF you are coming here for me to coach you and that was the main reason you were coming, those of you in that category, I certainly encourage you to look elsewhere because I won't be your coach."

Yeah, I guess Mack should have been more selective with his words during an emotional moment when he was announcing for the first time that he was stepping down, because he should have known that critics such as yourself would take every opportunity to twist words out of context and criticize.

I am tired of all the BS and uproar about a man that gave us our second best winning span in my schools history.

Edited by since_DKR

Has anyone reached out to the other recruits to see what was said that weekend. I mean if 3/4 of our class was attending that weekend then surely someone else heard the same comments that Bonney is claiming right? Where are those accounts at?

John Bonney is not disputing his father. They were both side by side when Mack made the remarks. The difference is that John Bonney's father gave ALL of the comment, in context, not just a sound bite that was edited for a CBS tidbit.

Some people on these boards don't seem very interested in hearing the whole story because their minds are made up.

Edited by since_DKR

Well when it comes to trying to “sell some ice to Eskimos” I think you are trying to sell a bit yourself when you chose to pick and choose select words from what Mack said rather than the entire sentence.

You conveniently take the word encourage and emphasize it out of the context that it was spoken.

You conveniently ignore what Mack says FIRST, 'I'm not telling you not to come to Texas. I think this is a fine place and you should stay [if you're committed to Texas].”,

And then you choose to emphasize one word out of his following opening remarks --, IF.. IF you are coming here for me to coach you and that was the main reason you were coming, those of you in that category, I certainly encourage you to look elsewhere because I won't be your coach."

Yeah, I guess Mack should have been more selective with his words during an emotional moment when he was announcing for the first time that he was stepping down, because he should have known that critics such as yourself would take every opportunity to twist words out of context and criticize.

I am tired of all the BS and uproar about a man that gave us our second best winning span in my schools history.

I actually did give him credit for what he said FIRST that you said I conveniently left out: "Also, after saying recruits should stay if committed, he then says "if you......."

I am not a Mack hater, never have been, and don't hate him now. I have always supported him until this last season when it became clear a change needed to be made and appreciated his apparent agreement with Powers that he would step-down on his own if the criteria necessary to keep his job was not met.

Despite not meeting the criteria he still was determined that his retirement would be on his terms and was convinced when he left the banquet he would be coaching in 2014. The uproar from the BMD's Saturday morning that lead to Powers telling Patterson he has to go fire Mack, I'm sure cut Mack to the bone.

I agree, telling the recruits later that morning that he was leaving was an emotional time and difficult for Mack. I'm just disappointed he didn't do more to save the class and help The University and I think we all can agree he could have.

I think Mack has a good side and a dark side personally. Yes he did great things for the university, he resurrected a sleeping giant and helped make UT the revenue machine that it is today. However, he was a victim of his own success and when the writing was on the wall that it was time for him to go, he fought it. The fact that he didn't resign after the baylor game after he had agreed to do so at the beginning of the year stinks. The fact that they brought in all the recruits on their official visits before he resigned was a train wreck for Coach Strong. Mack put himself above what was best for the university....obviously his coaching talents weren't keeping up with the state of colllege football. This football team was soft and had no accountability....and that's not just my opinion...in my office we've had 2 players intern and they TOLD me as much....there was a lack of leadership esp after Whaley went down and no accountability.

Mack's good side was a good human being who cared for the kids and said the classy thing at the right time.

However, Mack was a control freak when it came to the message and who said what...and to me that's petty. Look at Brian Jones, look at Vasher....."Mr Football" didn't like being criticized at all....he wanted the adulation.....Mike Tomlin said it best, he never attacked the media when his teams suck...he said that if he and his coaching staff aren't doing their job and winning ball games, they have every right to be critical. That to me is the proper approach and me personally I have a bad taste in my mouth about how Mack handled the end.

Opinions are like you know what, we've all got one and your opinion is just as valid as mine.....the bottom line is that we have ourselves a good football coach in Strong and we all need to get behind him.

• 4 weeks later...

Mack has re-emerged

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Let's all pull hard for <a href="https://twitter.com/McConaughey">@McConaughey</a> (our friend Matthew) to win the Oscar for "Best Actor" in the "Dallas Buyers Club." He deserves it</p>— Mack Brown (@UT_MackBrown) <a href="

">March 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>