Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Think This is the Problem

GetHooked

5) “Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they’re a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.â€

====================================

I cringed when I read that. If I was a recruit, that would get my attention as well.

The rest of Charlie's Rules seem like good ideas. Not sure about number 5.

I enjoyed my college experience immensely. I think if I had stayed at Jester Center until I was a senior, that would not have been the case.

I am pretty sure it is being used against us. However I don't think it is "the" problem. I think "the" problem is the whole coaching change and more importantly the complete change in how things are done by CS. These kids spent the last 2 years knowing how things would be, under Mack. That is gone and that has to go into the process for these young guys. Some just are not made for the CS regimen and that is fine.

This year is about holding on to kids that were sold for 2 years on how things were done only to have the completely change. Flips are going to naturally happen.

I don't think this is our biggest problem.

The elite prospects, who want to maximize their opportunity to develop and make the NFL are not worrying about whether they'll be able to live off-campus as a junior. The kids that are just coming to chase tail and drink beer may not like it, but for the borderline talent you're probably better off finding a kid with the right attitude anyway.

On the other hand, I think there could be elite prospects that are worried about having to attend all their classes and do their own homework when they could be otherwise focused on football.

The "problem" is that all the coaches UT recruits had a relationship with are gone. The "problem" is that those recruits who were comfortable moving into a perceived country club atmosphere have noticed it's no country club around UT any longer. The problem is probably that some recruits are butt-hurt because Charlie and/or staff didn't immediately call or visit upon being hired. (They were a little busy at the time just trying to find their way around Austin.) The "problem" is fans who convinced themselves somehow that turning over an entire staff, including head coach, wouldn't lead to recruiting losses, even though the staff changeover happened a month before signing day. The "problem" is that the change in head coach and staff gave rival recruiters plenty to neg rep UT about with the '14 class. The "problem" is NOT the new and more stringent standards for UT football players established by Coach Strong. Look...everybody and his brother pushed for a "culture change" from the more relaxed and increasingly ineffective approach of Mack Brown. You can't have it both ways...you can't have culture change AND no effect on recruits and some existing players. Nick Saban is not walking through the door, nor are any of the other presumed coaching candidates. There is only one of two ways to go. Endure the growing pains with Coach Strong and his approach, or claim a mistake, and bring back Mack. There is no door number three, especially this late in the game. Me? I prefer what Coach Strong is trying to do with the football program over what I saw Mack do with it the last half a decade. If some recruits jump ship along the way, that's their decision. I want players who want to be Longhorns. It's that simple. If Charlie Strong is NOT the right coach for the job, it will be apparent soon enough, but all the hand-wringing now, a month into him being on the job, is premature to say the least.

Edited by coolhorn

The "problem" is that all the coaches UT recruits had a relationship with are gone. The "problem" is that those recruits who were comfortable moving into a perceived country club atmosphere have noticed it's no country club around UT any longer. The problem is probably that some recruits are butt-hurt because Charlie and/or staff didn't immediately call or visit upon being hired. (They were a little busy at the time just trying to find their way around Austin.) The "problem" is fans who convinced themselves somehow that turning over an entire staff, including head coach, wouldn't lead to recruiting losses, even though the staff changeover happened a month before signing day. The "problem" is that the change in head coach and staff gave rival recruiters plenty to neg rep UT about with the '14 class. The "problem" is NOT the new and more stringent standards for UT football players established by Coach Strong. Look...everybody and his brother pushed for a "culture change" from the more relaxed and increasingly ineffective approach of Mack Brown. You can't have it both ways...you can't have culture change AND no effect on recruits and some existing players. Nick Saban is not walking through the door, nor is any of the other presumed coaching candidates. There is only one of two ways to go. Endure the growing pains with Coach Strong and his approach, or claim a mistake, and bring back Mack. There is no door number three, especially this late in the game. Me? I prefer what Coach Strong is trying to do with the football program over what I saw Mack do with it the last half a decade. If some recruits jump ship along the way, that's their decision. I want players who want to be Longhorns. It's that simple. If Charlie Strong is NOT the right coach for the job, it will be apparent soon enough, but all the hand-wringing now, a month into him being on the job, is premature to say the least.

excellent post

we hired the man to do a job and we gave him carte blanche to do what he thought was best. stand back, quit whining and second guessing and let him do the job he was hired to do.

this is a weeding out process. the players can buy in, or not. those who don't, leave. those who do, stay. pretty simple. the brothers didn't like it so they elected to leave.

bye.

5) “Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they’re a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.”

====================================

I cringed when I read that. If I was a recruit, that would get my attention as well.

The rest of Charlie's Rules seem like good ideas. Not sure about number 5.

I enjoyed my college experience immensely. I think if I had stayed at Jester Center until I was a senior, that would not have been the case.

Being a regular student and a football player is a completely different ball game.

excellent post

we hired the man to do a job and we gave him carte blanche to do what he thought was best. stand back, quit whining and second guessing and let him do the job he was hired to do.

this is a weeding out process. the players can buy in, or not. those who don't, leave. those who do, stay. pretty simple. the brothers didn't like it so they elected to leave.

bye.

OK I am all in.

• Administrators

A culture change of entitlement to one that is earned won't happen overnight as we all know. It may take a few years to get back to where things need to be but you cannot help but commend Strong for laying down the gauntlet. As a parent, would you want your kiddo to play at a place that has these rules? I know I would. Strong has a big job ahead of him - I hope he is afforded the time to work his magic.

It is being used against Texas. How much it matters is the question but yes

Maybe if we build better housing, it will matter a lot less. Jester isn't much. The only thing I liked about it was that it was so easy to meet people.

If it had been more like the housing I read about at OSU, I might have stayed more than 1 year.

The "problem" is that all the coaches UT recruits had a relationship with are gone. The "problem" is that those recruits who were comfortable moving into a perceived country club atmosphere have noticed it's no country club around UT any longer. The problem is probably that some recruits are butt-hurt because Charlie and/or staff didn't immediately call or visit upon being hired. (They were a little busy at the time just trying to find their way around Austin.) The "problem" is fans who convinced themselves somehow that turning over an entire staff, including head coach, wouldn't lead to recruiting losses, even though the staff changeover happened a month before signing day. The "problem" is that the change in head coach and staff gave rival recruiters plenty to neg rep UT about with the '14 class. The "problem" is NOT the new and more stringent standards for UT football players established by Coach Strong. Look...everybody and his brother pushed for a "culture change" from the more relaxed and increasingly ineffective approach of Mack Brown. You can't have it both ways...you can't have culture change AND no effect on recruits and some existing players. Nick Saban is not walking through the door, nor is any of the other presumed coaching candidates. There is only one of two ways to go. Endure the growing pains with Coach Strong and his approach, or claim a mistake, and bring back Mack. There is no door number three, especially this late in the game. Me? I prefer what Coach Strong is trying to do with the football program over what I saw Mack do with it the last half a decade. If some recruits jump ship along the way, that's their decision. I want players who want to be Longhorns. It's that simple. If Charlie Strong is NOT the right coach for the job, it will be apparent soon enough, but all the hand-wringing now, a month into him being on the job, is premature to say the least.

Coolhorn with the truth.

Everyone says our opponents will use this rule against us. I say BS - that can work both ways.

Most of these recruits are teenagers and children. They are going to a strange city, school and with strangers. They are going to want something that is familiar and comfortable - they are going to want to be around those that feel the same as they do. They will want friends and what better way to make friends than to eat, sleep and mingle with them?

If I am CS, I tell the recruits that they are going to live with their teammates and the University of Texas football team is the best fraternity on campus - and you will be a member. We are all here to play FOOTBALL and we are going to make you the best football players in the land.

AND WE ARE ALL GOING TO DO IT TOGETHER!

Edited by doc longhorn

What is the rule at most other Big 12 and SEC Schools about living in apts.?

Is our new rule a Senior in Academics or a Senior in years, like 4th year. Some kids reach Senior Status in 2-2 1/2 years by summer school and more classes.

Just curious what Texas is up against in this.

The "problem" is that all the coaches UT recruits had a relationship with are gone. The "problem" is that those recruits who were comfortable moving into a perceived country club atmosphere have noticed it's no country club around UT any longer. The problem is probably that some recruits are butt-hurt because Charlie and/or staff didn't immediately call or visit upon being hired...I want players who want to be Longhorns. It's that simple. If Charlie Strong is NOT the right coach for the job, it will be apparent soon enough, but all the hand-wringing now, a month into him being on the job, is premature to say the least.

Freakin' A Coolhorn! Spot on Sir!

GetHooked, you can't be oblivious to the fact that other schools have similar rules. Check Urban and Saban. Heck most people don't want to work with Saban yet they get their asses up in the morning and report to work everyday because they know their is a method to his madness and it has been proven effective. Other people can recruit negatively against us all they want, but if we WIN it will take care of itself. If "#5" is that important to a recruit, let him find a softer spot. Remember, Charlie is trying to teach these guys more than just football. It's about character. You give up 3-4 years staying in a dorm on campus and it could be a difference maker in your life/career. Think about some of our previous talented players who got in trouble while staying off campus.

This whole coaching scenario was a perfect storm for other schools recruiting against us. You have the whole Mack fiasco, short recruiting time, little relationship with current coaches, and the fact that we haven't done well the last 4-5 years. Everything that is happening should be expected. This is a mess CFS is trying to clean up with one hand tied behind is back. Thank Deloss and Co (Powers, Mack, BMD, MMD, etc...) for decisions made the past previous years. They've led to where we are now.

The problem is that Charlie had a little over 30 days to build a relationship with recruits and families that had a relationship with Mack Brown and liked the rock star treatment and family style atomosphere (borderline coddling) players recieved at Texas under Mack Brown. Mack and Co were harder on players pre-2005 than post-2005. There's been a lot of credit given to "letting VY be VY" however relaxing for one group does not = success for all...especially young groups you can't trust. It's the post 2005 treatment that has led us right where we are and it started with big misses beyond that 2005 class up until now. Development of players fell off the table considerably a long time ago. Consider this, name me 10 players who left the University of Texas phsyically and fundamentally changed after the 2006 season. I'll start you off with Colt McCoy. You can probably grab some defensive guys who played under WM, but try and find the offensive ones not named McCoy and Shipley. Take a big look at Garret Gilbert, Mike Davis, Jaxon Shipley, MJ McFarland, Carrington Byndom, Case McCoy, David Ash, RB's, the O-line, D-line, DB's, so and and so forth. Does Mack have a single skin on the wall over the last 4 years like turning a former QB in to an NFL Draft pick on the defensive side of the ball? Mack was not out recruited so much as he was out coached and his players were out developed. Those players listed previously are the same players they were since they stepped foot on campus. Great talents poorly developed.

2) Charlie had to recruit against coaches who had at least one year to build a relationship with players and families committed and not committed to Texas. The reason why Poona Ford is considering Texas? His relationship with Strong and Co, and nothing else.

Bottom line is that you dance with the devil you know. And these players have known a whole lot of other devils longer than they have known Charlie Strong. So ya, new relationship, new rules, new culture... all of those things are going to cause doubt and frankly, I don't want anyone who is scared or uncomfortable with those things, no matter their star rating.

It's amazing we haven't even played a game yet and some are already starting to question Charlie Strong on the recruiting trail and discarding his track record. 2015 will be a little easier than 2014 but don't forget... the same coaches who are poaching the Texas committment list are the same one's who have a year put in with the 2015 class as well. Winning will certainly help Charlie on that front and there is plenty of talent on the roster to win with. Recruiting will take care of itself if you win. And Charlie was brought in to change what was wrong with the Texas football program.... coaching and culture. And the man can coach.

IMO - we need to back off the ledge on the 2014 class. Bill Snyder has the same amount of conference titles as Mack Brown with not nearly the same recruiting power. Why? Because he can coach and has an eye for talent. That's not to say that we don't need top players to win, because we certainly do. However we do have top talent on the current roster with back to back top 10 classes as juniors and seniors. Charlie's work was always going to be difficult but his real work begins with what is on campus, not with what might or might not be.