+ Big 12 GOR

+ Failure to add FSU & Clemson to the Big 12

+ SEC media hype

+ Hiring a new third tier AD with almost no university AD experience

+ Not interviewing first tier football head coaches

+ Hiring a third tier head football coach

+ Missing on first tier assistant coaches at coordinator level

= Poor recruiting results

Charlie Strong will have to be one hell of a football coach to overcome all of the above.

+ Feckless university leadership for a very long time

+ Failing to foster a culture of championship excellence for 40+ years

+ Coddling Deloss Dodds senility and ineptitude for far too long

+ Placing revenue results above championship results

+ LHN/We are the Jones hubris

+ Coddling mediocre Mack Brown's sensibilities for far too long

+ Coddling senile fat cat donors

+ Big 12 GOR

+ SEC media hype

Charlie Strong will have to be one hell of a football coach to overcome all of the above.

Prepare to duck

From the everything/excuse is all right crowd

I don't think many here think "everything is all right" or we would not be in the situation we are in. I agree with what some of the OPs list and think there are things to most certainly overcome. It most certainly not all rosy. However the third tier stuff is lame, in my opinion. We are in a bad situation and we are hoping that we are on the right track. I just think you have to be a fool to "know" how this will turn out (good or bad) based on the short time after a complete overhaul of the staff. There will always be glass half empty and half full people here and that is good. Keeps things entertaining. In the end both are just expressing their opinion.

+ Big 12 GOR

+ SEC media hype

Kinda a glass half empty guy aren't we. I don't necessarily disagree with many of the points but I'm just not ready to write off the current staff until we see what this team looks like in a couple of years. I think the team that takes the field for the 2017 season will be the measuring stick. I know it's three years away but that will be the season that Strong's first true recruiting class (2015) will be juniors and his second class (2016) will be sophomores. Until then a long as I see some improvement and a consistent effort on both sides of the ball and a reduction in blow outs I think 9 regular season wins will be acceptable.

+ Big 12 GOR

+ SEC media hype

I disagree with the idea that Coach Strong is a "third tier" head coach. He doesn't have the prominence of Nick Saban or Jimbo Fisher, but for this point in his career, he'd have no problem putting his coaching record up against anybody's. Other than that, I don't disagree with a lot of what was said in the OP. I think a lot of UT's recruiting problem right now is a perceptual problem that has been brought on by school administrators. UT had been good lately at shooting itself in the foot, and from the outside, I can see how it would be easy to think the lunatics are running the asylum. Patterson badly needs to get the athletic department cleaned up and running in good order, and for the time being, UT needs to stay out of the limelight. It seems like lately, everytime UT's athletic department is being publicized, it's bad publicity. I do agree on the point about UT's conference affiliation. The Big XII as currently constituted isn't gonna cut it. I think UT needs to take a serious look at a move west. OU's is supposedly taking a serious look at SEC membership...I'd hate to see UT left with the decaying carcass of what used to be the Big XII.

Coach Strong now has the opportunity to win at a first class institution. His work at Louisville and other places earned him this opportunity. Nick Saban was not universally recognized as the master when he was hired at LSU. Now is coach Strong's opportunity to reach his potential.

• Administrators
Coach Strong now has the opportunity to win at a first class institution. His work at Louisville and other places earned him this opportunity. Nick Saban was not universally recognized as the master when he was hired at LSU. Now is coach Strong's opportunity to reach his potential.

Well said.

Dodds hurt us bad when he thought he could get Notre Dame to partner with the Big 12. While he was chasing them, Florida St and Clemson were open to a move. That would have hurt the ACC bad and might have helped with the Irish. I hope that Coolhorn is hearing good information about OU looking at the SEC, that would test the GOR out and open things up for UT to make a move. A move to a new conference would be the best thing that has happened for UT since the last national championship game they played in.

I am not going to put TexasFirst1 on blast for posting his feelings. I don't think that Strong is a third tier coach though. I don't agree with every move he has made but I am sure if he put my life under a microscope he could find things that he didn't like about me.

I have removed myself from the Patterson bandwagon though. That is just from reading about him from his previous jobs and from what I have observed since he has been here. Again, I could be wrong about him also. If he can get us out of the Big12 I would probably be the first person to say how great he is.