Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OT: Hand guns

SFlonghorngirl

It's for fun and self defense if need be but mostly for fun. I want something small and sexy.

Then you purchase a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry Raptor II from the Kimber Custom Shop out of New York. 1911 45 $1,400.00.....yes I know

If you get a gun permit do not use a revolver to get the permit, because that would be the only gun you could carry. Use a automatic (magazine) like a 1911 to get the permit. Then you can carry any hand gun

Edited by Topstarr

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you purchase a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry Raptor II from the Kimber Custom Shop out of New York. 1911 45 $1,400.00.....yes I know

If you get a gun permit do not use a revolver to get the permit, because that would be the only gun you could carry. Use a automatic (magazine) like a 1911 to get the permit.

Okay...this owning a gun thing seems really expensive and complicated. How much do ammo run for a .380 or 9mm?

Get an M&P shield 9mm. I bought one for my wife. It fits her hand great. Plenty of power and only costs around 450.00. Good luck finding one in stock but other than that its perfect.

I should add we bought it at Reds in Austin which has a great ladies night. I think its on Wednesdays. Only women allowed. Great service. Lots o f fun. We used the Reds in Oak Hill but there is another in Pflueger.

Edited by mesoHorny

Okay...this owning a gun thing seems really expensive and complicated. How much do ammo run for a .380 or 9mm?

Just depends on brand, jacket around bullet (FMJ, TMJ and grain and so on)

38 Special-158 grain...for practice & Training $24.99 for a Box of 50

45 Auto-230 grain...for practice & training $ 21.99 for a Box of 50

9mm-115 grain $21.99 for a box of 25

What's a good hand gun for a girl?

You may not like my answers or comments, but here goes.

You know what my profession is and so I can tell you that, during my training and residencies, I did rotations in many emergency wards - including the notorious Ben Taub hospital of Houston. So I have seen what a gunshot wound (and stab wound) does to the human body. Probably more so than most - not including other doctors on here.

It has been my observation that three things are relevant in gun shot wounds and two of them more so than the third. In order, they are as follows:

1. Quantity of bullets/pellets

2. Accuracy

3. Caliber (size of the bullet)

I grew up around guns and I have a healthy respect for them - particularly because of my career path. I am against anyone owning a gun, of any kind, that is unwilling to become more than proficient with them, is not extremely safety conscious and shows any evidence of irresponsibility. I am adamant about this and no argument can be presented that will change my mind. When a child, that has been shot, is brought to me - someone is going to be blamed and I won't be sympathetic. Period.

Ok, all this being said and as an avid hunter, I personally have a large collection of guns. They are stored in a large upright gun safe that a direct hit from a sidewinder missile couldn't destroy.

I assume you are concerned about your safety, in todays mean world, and are contemplating getting your concealed carry permit (CCP).

Deciding what gun you select is completely dependent upon your discipline in carrying it. Accept the fact there is NO easy way to pack a gun. They are basically uncomfortable and inconvenient. My personal preference is a Les Baer, gov't model 1911, .45 caliber, with a 5" barrel. This sucker is HEAVY and don't even talk about inconvenient. I try to mitigate the weight with a quality IWB (inside the waist band) holster and GUN belt. It's important to understand what a real gun belt is - as opposed to a cowboy belt which is no bueno.

Ok, that's what I tote, but I am 6'2" and 220 lbs. I have carried this kind of rig for so long, I have gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore. That's important for you to remember - getting used to it.

So, back to you. Most women are afraid of guns - particularly the noise and recoil. So I suggest you visit a gun store that has a range and people willing to rent and suggest guns that you can try out. Be leery of the "Rambo" types that promote carrying some kind of cannon - just walk away from them.

I do suggest buying the largest caliber that you can handle and most comfortably conceal. A 9 mm would be the smallest caliber I would consider. With todays ammunition they are ungodly lethal and that's what you want.

The man once said - "It doesn't matter the size of the bullet - if you put enough of them in the right place they will all go down".

PRICING

In the realm of handguns, you get what you pay for. Cheap prices indicate cheap guns. Most major manufacturers sell quality equipment - Ruger, S&W, Berretta, Colt, etc. You can expect to pay anywhere from $375 - $550 for a quality compact and easily concealable weapon.

I recommend a revolver for you as an automatic can take some manipulation, to go into battery, whereas a revolver is simply point and pull the trigger.

By-the-way, stay away from the Kal-Tec guns - IMO, they are cheap, but junk.

Edited by doc longhorn

You may not like my answers or comments, but here goes.

You know what my profession is and so I can tell you that, during my training and residencies, I did rotations in many emergency wards - including the notorious Ben Taub hospital of Houston. So I have seen what a gunshot wound (and stab wound) does to the human body. Probably more so than most - not including other doctors on here.

It has been my observation that three things are relevant in gun shot wounds and two of them more so than the third. In order, they are as follows:

1. Quantity of bullets/pellets

2. Accuracy

3. Caliber (size of the bullet)

I grew up around guns and I have a healthy respect for them - particularly because of my career path. I am against anyone owning a gun, of any kind, that is unwilling to become more than proficient with them, is not extremely safety conscious and shows any evidence of irresponsibility. I am adamant about this and no argument can be presented that will change my mind. When a child, that has been shot, is brought to me - someone is going to be blamed and I won't be sympathetic. Period.

Ok, all this being said and as an avid hunter, I personally have a large collection of guns. They are stored in a large upright gun safe that a direct hit from a sidewinder missile couldn't destroy.

I assume you are concerned about your safety, in todays mean world, and are contemplating getting your concealed carry permit (CCP).

Deciding what gun you select is completely dependent upon your discipline in carrying it. Accept the fact there is NO easy way to pack a gun. They are basically uncomfortably and inconvenient. My personal preference is a Les Baer, gov't model 1911, .45 caliber, with a 5" barrel. This sucker is HEAVY and don't even talk about inconvenient. I try to mitigate the weight with a quality IWB (inside the waist band) holster and GUN belt. It's important to understand what a real gun belt is - as opposed to a cowboy belt which is no bueno.

Ok, that's what I tote, but I am 6'2" and 220 lbs. I have carried this kind of rig for so long, I have gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore. That's important for you to remember - getting used to it.

So, back to you. Most women are afraid of guns - particularly the noise and recoil. So I suggest you visit a gun store that has a range and people willing to rent and suggest guns that you can try out. Be leery of the "Rambo" types that promote carrying some kind of cannon - just walk away from them.

I do suggest buying the largest caliber that you can handle and most comfortably conceal. A 9 mm would be the smallest caliber I would consider. With todays ammunition they are ungodly lethal and that's what you want.

PRICING

In the realm of handguns, you get what you pay for. Cheap prices indicate cheap guns. Most major manufacturers sell quality equipment - Ruger, S&W, Berretta, Colt, etc. You can expect to pay anywhere from $375 - $550 for a quality compact and easily concealable weapon.

I recommend a revolver for you as an automatic can take some manipulation, to go into battery, whereas a revolver is simply point and pull the trigger.

By-the-way, stay away from the Kal-Tec guns - IMO, they are cheap, but junk.

The man once said - "It doesn't matter the size of the bullet - if you put enough of them in the right place they will all go down".

Thanks for your thoughtful post Doc! I will definitely go to shooting range before purchasing gun. Really appreciate everyone's input.

If you get a gun permit do not use a revolver to get the permit, because that would be the only gun you could carry. Use a automatic (magazine) like a 1911 to get the permit. Then you can carry any hand gun

Just went to their website. WOW!!! What a nice looking gun!

I don't want to spend over $500. Didn't realize guns were so $$$!

LOL - that's just for the purchase of the gun. Range fees can be expensive, as well, and either charge by the hour or by the gun. Ammunition is the real cost and the smaller the caliber, the cheaper the ammo.

I firmly believe that to become proficient with the piece you will carry, you need to practice every other month and expend at least 200 rounds a session.

I will, typically, shoot 1000 - 1500 rounds a session. When shooting my handguns, I buy Winchester White Box ammo as I feel it is decent and the least expensive. Federal makes some good range ammo as well. For example, a 100 round box of .45 caliber, at Walmart, will run around $35 - $40 a box.

When you get to Austin, find you a bf that is willing to buy your ammo for you. :) Owning a handgun can be expensive.

Oh, by-the-way, make that bf clean your gun for you as well.

Edited by doc longhorn

LOL - that's just for the purchase of the gun. Range fees can be expensive, as well, and either charge by the hour or by the gun. Ammunition is the real cost and the smaller the caliber, the cheaper the ammo.

When you get to Austin, find you a bf that is willing to buy your ammo for you. :) Owning a handgun can be expensive.

Oh, by-the-way, make that bf clean your gun for you as well.

No BF needed. I am a quick learner. And I thought golf was an expensive hobby!

What's a good hand gun for a girl?

44 magnum. nobody will mess with you. promise.

seriously, i bought myself a very expensive handgun for my birthday that would be a great firearm for a lady. an FNH Five-Seven. extremely light, very low recoil, highly accurate out to 50 and even 100 yards. expensive though, and the ammo is expensive. it's a gun that was developed for UN forces. not terribly common, but would be very easy for you to shoot. the bullets look like small rifle rounds, but they pack a pretty good wallop.

the clip holds 20 rounds so you could turn somebody into swiss cheese if they mess with you.

google it up and read about it, and then look at some of the reviews and you tube videos about it. its an impressive weapon.

i like the .380 suggestion if you're looking for something small that's basically for protection.

Edited by armadillo slim

Here is a nice little revolver - made by Charter Arms, an American company. It is a little pistol that actually shoots 9 mm, which is hard to find in a revolver configuration.

I think you can buy this gun cheaper than the clip indicates - you just have to look around a little.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/charter_arms_pitbull_9mm.htm

By-the-way, stay away from any handgun that is called a magnum - unless it is a .22 magnum. Magnums are loud with heavy recoil and not fun to shoot. And the ammo prices are outrageous.

Here is a nice little revolver - made by Charter Arms, an American company. It is a little pistol that actually shoots 9 mm, which is hard to find in a revolver configuration.

I think you can buy this gun cheaper than the clip indicates - you just have to look around a little.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/charter_arms_pitbull_9mm.htm

By-the-way, stay away from any handgun that is called a magnum - unless it is a .22 magnum. Magnums are loud with heavy recoil and not fun to shoot. And the ammo prices are outrageous.

Thanks! I don't know gun terminology. Revolver, magnum, etc...I don’t know what those words mean. First thing I will do is take a hand gun class. Then test out different models. If I like it, I'll get a Texas Driver's License, gun permit, and then buy a gun.

Edited by SFlonghorngirl

Lots of good advice above but when I first saw your post, I reflected on this

" Yes, very much so. I hate when my favorite teams lose to rivals. I haven't watched any tv or listened to any sports radio for the past 2 weeks. Makes me so sad and mad. I know, I'm a bad sport." :D