10/18, Iowa State Cyclones - W

10/25, @ Kansas State Wildcats - L

11/1, @ Texas Tech Red Raiders - W

11/8, West Virginia Mountaineers - W

11/15, @ Oklahoma State Cowboys - W

11/27, TCU Horned Frogs - W

A very respectable 9-3 first season for Coach Strong and the 'Horns. \m/

UNT -W, start off CS with an easy win.

BYU -W, we will learn to tackle this offseason & our new coaches know that QBs can run.

UCLA -L, I just don't think we can win, Hundley, plus a very good RB & WRs, + decent D. I hope we can stay within 10.

Ku -W, we are better

Baylor -W, at home and if healthy we will be more physical. We could lose this, close game.

Ou -L, knight had a very good end to last season, we can score on them. We could win this game.

Iowa St -W, good team but we are more talented and at home.

KSt -W, no purple curse vc Strong, on the road we could lose but I think we out physical them at the end.

TT -W, raiders are much better than many think, we tackle better in '14 & can pound them on O.

WVU -W, we are more powerful and better at most positions and in Austin.

OK ST -L, both are talented, good top 15-20 teams. We could win this one but will be a good close game.

TCU -W, we are better, block Fields and we can score on them.

Teams we are better than:

UNT, BYU, KU, WVU, TCU

Toss Ups:

BAYLOR, OU, IOWA ST, TT, OK ST, K ST

Teams that are better than us:

UCLA

Assumes we have a healthy Ash

Probable Win

North Texas Mean Green

@ Kansas Jayhawks

Iowa State Cyclones

Toss Up Games

BYU Cougars

UCLA Bruins

Baylor Bears

Oklahoma Inbreeds

@ Kansas State Wildcats

@ Texas Tech Red Raiders

West Virginia Mountaineers

@ Oklahoma State Pokies

TCU Horned Frogs

Probable Loss

None

------------

Wow. That is a little bit scary.

If we are great, we will win all 9 toss up games and finish 12-0

If we are good, we will win 7 toss up games and finish 10-2

If we are average, we will win 5 toss up games and finish 8-4

If we are bad, we will win 3 toss up games and finish 6-6

If we are horrible, we will win 3 toss up games and finish 6-6

------------

I think we will be above average with a chance to be great. That makes us good. 10-2 is my guess. Losses to Baylor, OU or UCLA are most likely. We win 1 of those games.

9-3, with close losses to UCLA, Okie, and Okie Lite would be a very solid year. 8-4 strikes me as more likely, and that's not bad given all the turnover, and turmoil this team has had in the last year. Wins: UNT, KU, Baylor, TCU, Tech, WVU, ISU. Losses: UCLA, OU, OSU. Tossup: BYU, KSU...and I think we win one of the two tossup games. It's a tough schedule, but not a brutal one.

Finally! A prediction thread that actually looks at the schedule.... I love it.

I don't love the schedule though. It's brutal.

I think 9-3 is very optimistic. This team barely scraped by a few close games against an easy schedule last year and still lost 4 regular season games. We will need to be vastly improved just to repeat the 8-4 regular season mark next year.

You have to think we'll be dogs against UCLA, Baylor, OU, and @OSU.

Then we have @Tech and @Kansas State that are always tough, and we're likely to be dogs in at least one of those.

That's 5 or 6 games bookmakers will expect us to lose.

I think 8-4 is our likely record, although if I'm honest I'm worried that OSU will also beat us. I also wonder how the fans will react when we're 3-3 or 4-4.

8/30, North Texas Mean Green - W

9/6, BYU Cougars - W

9/13, UCLA Bruins @ Arlington - L

9/27, @ Kansas Jayhawks - W

10/4, Baylor Bears - L

10/11, Oklahoma Sooners @ Dallas - L

Edited by couchman

Funny

I've got an aggy friend who says, "Big 12 dies on the vine once it's shut out of the 4-team playoff". Right. Like a 1-loss SEC team is more desirable than UT or OU with the same record.

That friend is truly an idiot. The second best SEC team is probably the most likely to get screwed out of the final 4. Unless their only loss is to the SEC champion, it would be very tough to make a case.

9/6, BYU Cougars - W

10/4, Baylor Bears - W

10/25, @ Kansas State Wildcats - W

11/15, @ Oklahoma State Cowboys - L

Edited by Davharjac

9/6, BYU Cougars - W

10/4, Baylor Bears - W

10/18, Iowa State Cyclones - L

11/15, @ Oklahoma State Cowboys - L

with Iowa State being the game that I think could go either way

9/6, BYU Cougars - W

9/13, UCLA Bruins @ Arlington - W

10/4, Baylor Bears - W

10/11, Oklahoma Sooners @ Dallas - W

1/1 vs. Florida St at Rose Bowl - W

1/12 vs. Alabama at AT&T Stadium - W

8/30, North Texas Mean Green - W, but not the easy win it once was. They play ball at UNT now.

9/6, BYU Cougars - W, what happened last season was a picture of what was wrong with UT football. The game next year will be a picture of what is right with UT football.

9/13, UCLA Bruins @ Arlington - W, Strong emphasizes that this is a statement game. If there's one thing Strong does that gains my confidence - prepare a team for a game.

9/27, @ Kansas Jayhawks - W.

10/4, Baylor Bears - W, Wow, we defend the Baylor spread better than ever. Bedford's defense is gaining headlines now.

10/11, Oklahoma Sooners @ Dallas - W, Texas wins another hard fought one in Dallas, but this team walks in totally prepared for the war that comes.

10/18, Iowa State Cyclones - W - Convincingly.

10/25, @ Kansas State Wildcats - W - This could go the other way, but rather than being outcoached each time we get on the field with KSU, we'll walk in as prepared as they are. It comes down to talent and I think we have more.

11/1, @ Texas Tech Red Raiders - W They're not there yet.

11/8, West Virginia Mountaineers - W Worse than last year.

11/15, @ Oklahoma State Cowboys - L - Stillwater at night is a tough venue. We play close, but OSU pulls it out.

11/27, TCU Horned Frogs - W - TCU is dropping.

9/6, BYU Cougars - W

10/4, Baylor Bears - L

10/11, Oklahoma Sooners @ Dallas - W

10-2, I think we could have a run like Auburn did this past year.

That friend is truly an idiot. The second best SEC team is probably the most likely to get screwed out of the final 4. Unless their only loss is to the SEC champion, it would be very tough to make a case.

I agree, I think it will be hard for 2 sec teams to get in but you know the bias will be there. If its close, i dont like the other teams chances, regardless of who it is.

That said, i dont think a Big 12 teams makes it. Not having a CCG hurts but also i dont know if there is clearly a top team in Big12, its competitive. Oregon, tOsu, Fsu, Sec winner all look to have a clear path. If Oregon and/or tOsu struggles with 2 losses, a 2 loss Big 12 can get it. Im still not sure how SOS is factored in. I hope its a big factor. If it isn't a big factor a 10-2 Baylor wont make it bc they play nobody OOC but a 10-2 Texas(Byu/Ucla) or Ou(Tennessee) or Ok St(Fsu) could get in.

Playing the "what if" game: assume GR is our DC to start the year and Ash does not get hurt and we probably go 10-2 or 11-1 with a shot at undefeated (forget the fact that would mean Mack would still be here). OU beat Bama in the bowl but frankly OU didn't show me anything new or unbeatable, they just matched up well. So my concerns next year are KSU, OStU and UCLA as the toss ups. We would go 8-4 without a change in coaching; so with coaching them up (hope) and better condition I see achieving the prior year's expectation of 10-2 or 11-1, with a 20-1 shot at undefeated.

If we can get consistent healthy play from David Ash, the offense could be sneaky good. We will have two NFL caliber backs in their prime and I expect a much improved O line, and we certainly have some playmakers at WR. Defense should be dramatically better from the start. 2 losses would be a very good start to the Strong era. 4 or more losses, I am pretty disappointed (and the QB situation likely implodes).

I think Texas will beat UCLA.

I honestly only see three games on the schedule that are potential losses (Baylor, UCLA and OU).

Oklahoma State is losing more then anyone in the Big 12. Like I've said several times, it's almost sickening how many good players they are losing.

BYU is losing a whole bunch on defense and a couple of their top receivers. They are also a completely different team away from Provo.

Tech is losing a couple of their top receivers and are still severely lacking on the offensive and defensive line. Amaro was their offense last year, that's a huge void to fill. Tech is Tech, Texas will always dominate them in the trenches.

Kansas State, sorry just don't understand the hype. They are losing a couple critical defensive players and their running back. They don't have a QB that's shown any consistency in the passing game. But most importantly they are losing almost their entire offensive line (K-State's success is predicated on a dominant offensive line). They are an 8-4 or 7-5 team next year, but for some reason they are getting hype.

I think we finish 9-3 or 10-2, and maybe 11-1. Other then UCLA I don't see a game we can't win. OU is losing almost all their skilled players at receiver/running back and they still have serious question marks on the defensive line. Baylor loses a whole bunch on defense, their top receiver, and Seastrunk. Baylor is also a horrible team away from home. I see 3 potential losses, and think we have a legitimate shot to win 2 of those games.

Edited by utisdabomb12

I know this is a Texas prediction thread, but I've been thinking about Baylor. I think they were extremely overrated last year. Yes they scored a boatload of points - against bad teams, for the most part. And seriously faded towards the end of the season - evidenced by their Case McCoy-aided win against UT and horrible performance against UCF. I think they slide back to their Baylor like ways next year (Texas Tech wanna be) and win 6-7 games. So glad we did not end up with Briles as a coach. A Strong coached UT will have no problem putting them away.