Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack Brown Era - The Best Recruit By Position

Here's a quick list off the top of my head of who the best recruits by position are that Mack Brown pulled in over his 16 year career at Texas. Feel free to post yours:

QB - Vince Young

RB - Cedric Benson

RB - Jamaal Charles

TE - David Thomas

WR - Roy Williams

WR - Jordan Shipley

OL - Mike Williams

OL - Kasey Studdard

OL - Justin Blalock

OL - Tony Hills, Jr

OL - Derrick Dockery

DE - Brian Orakpo

DE - Cory Redding

DT - LaMarr Houston

DT - Rodrique Wright

LB - Sergio Kindle

LB - Derrick Johnson

LB - Aaron Harris

DB - Michael Huff

DB - Earl Thomas

DB - Nathan Vasher

DB - Aaron Ross

PK - Justin Tucker

Player or recruit? If we're going by recruit than BJ Johnson would be the #1 WR imo and you would have to put in Edorian McCullough at db. That guy could absolutely fly. If he could have stayed in school he would have been an All American DB.

The list I guess is meant to be for players that he recruited and produced under Mack. For example, Big Davis and Ricky wouldn't apply as they were recruited by JM.

Here's a quick list off the top of my head of who the best recruits by position are that Mack Brown pulled in over his 16 year career at Texas. Feel free to post yours:

QB - Vince Young

RB - Cedric Benson

RB - Jamaal Charles

TE - David Thomas

WR - Roy Williams

WR - Jordan Shipley

OL - Mike Williams

OL - Kasey Studdard

OL - Justin Blalock

OL - Tony Hills, Jr

OL - Derrick Dockery

DE - Brian Orakpo

DE - Cory Redding

DT - LaMarr Houston

DT - Rodrique Wright

LB - Sergio Kindle

LB - Derrick Johnson

LB - Aaron Harris

DB - Michael Huff

DB - Earl Thomas

DB - Nathan Vasher

DB - Aaron Ross

PK - Justin Tucker

I'm impressed. . .you only screwed up once (which is far better than your taste in movies (Lil Mermaid? Really) or Music (Miley and Justin? Really?)

Ricky Williams passing on being the #1 pick in the NFL draft to return was Mack's best recruit followed by JC, Erick Hardeman was the 3rd best RB recruit. . .he just turned knucklehead before he saw the field. . .I'd put J Gray before Cedric. ...sorry. . .point to a "big" game where Cedric starred? 2.9 average vs OU? sorry . ..

AKH needs some love on the OL

echeese,

No way J Gray is in front of Cedric!! As much of an ass as he seems to be he played his entire sophomore year injured and finished as what, the 6th most prolific rusher in NCAA history? He was a damn good runner. And didn't he have a monster game against aggy, or 2?

Not when aggie was any good. . .in fact I'd challenge anyone to bring up a game where CB shined vs a quality D .. . maybe Neb '04 his senior year. . .

CB has the lowest ypc of any of the top 7 .. he carried almost 100 times more than Ricky yet trailed Ricky by 800 yards. . .

He piled up a great many yards vs the weaker teams on the schedule (which I'm sure many RBs do) but vs the quality teams.. he vanished. ..he racked up yards because he was a work horse. . .not because he was a great back . ..JC actually carried the team to wins. .often vs the top teams on the schedule. . 6.8 vs USC. . 5.4 vs OU in '06 (better than any of CBs games vs OU) 6.1 vs TCU (top 10 D) in '07 140 yards. ..161 yards and 6.0 vs ASU in '07

JC returns in 2008. . .we most likely play for and win the National title. . .

I'm sticking to my list.. ..

I was giving Lucus some grief but it's a good, thought provoking thread. . thought we'd get more debate in the secondary. . good lord we could argue over a two deep

forgot about hardeman too. what happened to him? did he get kicked off the team?

I thought he was headed for hard time but haven't heard anything about him. . . monster talent. . .one coach from the team speculated to a friend if he wouldn't pass CB on the depth chart .. .EH was Steven Jackson good. . .big fast talented. . .

I'm going to get flamed for this...it's ok, I can take it. But I put Colt McCoy in front of Vince Young or at least beside him. VY had a good year and then a great year and moreover, played, dominated and won the greatest NC game of all time. I get it...I'll never forget. And for that season and NC game alone, I can't argue he's not the best. But Colt McCoy was imo one of the best college QBs to ever play the game....for all four years of eligibility. His ridiculous passing numbers and QB ratings (not to mention the 350-450 yards rushing he normally had) are set out below. At the time, he was the gold standard for what can be accomplished with a freshman at QB. He did have a little bit of a sophomore slump (literally), but he should have been able to play in the NC game his junior season and was injured while leading in the NC game his senior year. So no he doesn't have the NC trophy VY does, but he put his team in a position to play in the NC game both years. It's a shame the trophy alluded him...perhaps it's one of many things that are a shame during Mack's time on the 40. And God knows it's awful easy to be down on the name "McCoy" after his brother's tenure at Texas, but to me, Colt embodies everything great about Mack Brown Texas Football.

Year Sch Conf Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

*2006 Texas Big 12 QB 13 217 318 68.2 2570 8.1 8.9 29 7 161.8

*2007 Texas Big 12 QB 13 276 424 65.1 3303 7.8 6.9 22 18 139.2

*2008 Texas Big 12 QB 13 332 433 76.7 3859 8.9 9.7 34 8 173.8

*2009 Texas Big 12 QB 14 332 470 70.6 3521 7.5 7.5 27 12 147.4

Career Texas 1157 1645 70.3 13253 8.1 8.2 112 45 155.0

Player or recruit? If we're going by recruit than BJ Johnson would be the #1 WR imo and you would have to put in Edorian McCullough at db. That guy could absolutely fly. If he could have stayed in school he would have been an All American DB.

if I had looks and talent, I'd be a movie star. 0.00 GPA.

I'm going to get flamed for this...it's ok, I can take it. But I put Colt McCoy in front of Vince Young or at least beside him. VY had a good year and then a great year and moreover, played, dominated and won the greatest NC game of all time. I get it...I'll never forget. And for that season and NC game alone, I can't argue he's not the best. But Colt McCoy was imo one of the best college QBs to ever play the game....for all four years of eligibility. His ridiculous passing numbers and QB ratings (not to mention the 350-450 yards rushing he normally had) are set out below. At the time, he was the gold standard for what can be accomplished with a freshman at QB. He did have a little bit of a sophomore slump (literally), but he should have been able to play in the NC game his junior season and was injured while leading in the NC game his senior year. So no he doesn't have the NC trophy VY does, but he put his team in a position to play in the NC game both years. It's a shame the trophy alluded him...perhaps it's one of many things that are a shame during Mack's time on the 40. And God knows it's awful easy to be down on the name "McCoy" after his brother's tenure at Texas, but to me, Colt embodies everything great about Mack Brown Texas Football.

Year Sch Conf Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate

*2006 Texas Big 12 QB 13 217 318 68.2 2570 8.1 8.9 29 7 161.8

*2007 Texas Big 12 QB 13 276 424 65.1 3303 7.8 6.9 22 18 139.2

*2008 Texas Big 12 QB 13 332 433 76.7 3859 8.9 9.7 34 8 173.8

*2009 Texas Big 12 QB 14 332 470 70.6 3521 7.5 7.5 27 12 147.4

Career Texas 1157 1645 70.3 13253 8.1 8.2 112 45 155.0

I see what you're saying but if we're talking "recruit", then the best Mack ever snagged was Chris Simms. He wasn't as accomplished on the field as VY or Colt, but coming out of high school, he was the best qb in the nation. He was a two-time All-State honoree, and was named the 1998 USA Today National Offensive Player of the Year.

QB - Vince Young

RB - Cedric Benson

RB - Jamaal Charles

TE - David Thomas

WR - Roy Williams

WR - Jordan Shipley

OL - Mike Williams

OL - Kasey Studdard

OL - Justin Blalock

OL - Tony Hills, Jr

OL - Derrick Dockery

DE - Brian Orakpo

DE - Cory Redding

DT - LaMarr Houston

DT - Rodrique Wright

LB - Sergio Kindle

LB - Derrick Johnson

LB - Aaron Harris

DB - Michael Huff

DB - Earl Thomas

DB - Nathan Vasher

DB - Aaron Ross

PK - Justin Tucker

The only obvious omission is Anthony Fera as a punter.

Would be interesting to see the freshman year listed for those guys. It would shed light on just how badly Mack mailed it in after about 2004-2005. Its a dead horse, but Tim Brewster was the man when the guys on this list were recruited.

Edited by BBQ time