Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A quick Lorenzo Joe update

MBHORNSFAN

As I reported last week Lorenzo Joe would take a visit to TCU & USC & that this would be one we need to watch very carefully in regard to him flipping(which I caught hell for) Well he did in fact visit visit TCU last weekend and per jason at OB the visit went very and Joe has gone silent and his father states TCU is a factor I personally think he will stick with UT but it's not a lock at this point here is the key quote

Per Jason "One source told me Joe's father was really, really impressed with TCU during the visit last weekend and he thinks TCU has a legitimate chance of flipping Joe's commitment."

Edited by MBHORNSFAN

From the leader in recruiting news Horns 247.

We're told by a source close to Abilene Cooper wide receiver Lorenzo Joe that Joe is committed to Texas and had has no designs on changing his mind despite a recent visit to TCU.

While the visit was "nice", I'm told Texas is simply his "dream" school.

Texas coaches are expected to visit with Joe later this week.

From 247.

We're told by a source close to Abilene Cooper wide receiver Lorenzo Joe that Joe is committed to Texas and had has no designs on changing his mind despite a recent visit to TCU.

While the visit was "nice", I'm told Texas is simply his "dream" school.

Texas coaches are expected to visit with Joe later this week.

Good to hear. But I think it's still one to watch

I don't get this one at all. I sure hope he sticks with the Horns. He's been a Texas fan forever. I think he would regret it if he switched. There really is no comparison from academics, to socially, fan support, future job prospects, and above all football.

When recruits visit other schools it is always a cause for concern.

I totally agree. That's why I wouldn't pressure them to commit unless they are absolutely sure that UT is where they want to go. Advise them to take other visits, if they are unsure. Just ask them, at the end, to visit UT last - then decide.

However, also tell them that we take a commitment very seriously and if he does commit, we expect him to honor it. Explain to him what the ramifications of a commitment is and, if he decommits, how it affects your recruiting process and a recruit, who really wants to attend Texas, but hasn't been offered because of the signing limits. Make him believe that an UT offer is an extreme honor and has a value approaching the value of the Hope diamond.

I totally agree. That's why I wouldn't pressure them to commit unless they are absolutely sure that UT is where they want to go. Advise them to take other visits, if they are unsure. Just ask them, at the end, to visit UT last - then decide.

However, also tell them that we take a commitment very seriously and if he does commit, we expect him to honor it. Explain to him what the ramifications of a commitment is and, if he decommits, how it affects your recruiting process and a recruit, who really wants to attend Texas, but hasn't been offered because of the signing limits. Make him believe that an UT offer is an extreme honor and has a value approaching the value of the Hope diamond.

The issue is the kids were not recruited by Coach Strong, they are Mack's kids. It is natural to lose some. The key is going to be 2015. Strong own's that. One thing Mack was good at was getting in the home and talking to the kids and his parents. We will see about Strong?

This is the point in the negotiation where the athlete has the power. I am not trying to argue with you because I feel the same about committing but it is a university's problem, not a recruit's problem. If a recruit leaves UT then we must assume that the rival who flipped him made a better offer (ability to compete for playing time as a freshman, the recruit enjoyed the scene or the coaches or the other recruits at the rival university, etc). I believe the genteel rules by which we (the University of Texas) assume everybody is going to play by is not reality. I think that recruiting is cut throat. Recruits are the commodity by which a program maintains itself. Developmental coaching is another variable by which teams succeed. I think we have the coaching part in place and that we had better get real hard, real fast, regarding the cut throat nature of recruiting. We should, in fact, welcome the gloves off approach. I believe we have more to offer. The University. Austin. The coaching staff.

If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. If all the honor and commitment and tradition were enough to lure top prospects, Texas' cup would be running over. I give Strong & Co. a pass on this year because of the unique circumstances he inherited. However, I believe next year we will see Strong using the same tactics, and succeeding, that so many Horn fans seem to think is beneath them. We need to oversign. We need to weed out the weak players. The recruits need to understand that they are coming to Austin to represent Texas. To be the best. If there effort or talent are sub par then hit the road. We only want the best of the best. It will be a privilege to receive a scholarship offer from Texas. If one is extended and you don't allow us to feel confident in your commitment, bye.

I think a kid is doing himself a disservice if he doesn't take at least a couple of the visits offered to him.

I agree, I enjoyed every visit I had the opportunity to take. The thing that fans of programs don't think about is these are young guys, who maybe did not have the opportunity to travel much. I can't fault a guy for getting out and seeing whats out there and making informed choices.

I agree, I enjoyed every visit I had the opportunity to take. The thing that fans of programs don't think about is these are young guys, who maybe did not have the opportunity to travel much. I can't fault a guy for getting out and seeing whats out there and making informed choices.

I tend to agree. And you know when that's the case.

I can't remember who it was but we once had a commit who wanted to take a visit to U of Hawaii. Everybody and their dog knew why the trip was set and no one could blame the kid . . . then, someone pointed out that it was wrong to take a trip that you knew was not going to have any benefit to the host. Then, of course, someone else pointed out that it was a choice the U in question would have to live with and it was their task to persuade a kid or not.

So I tend to agree. Why not? However, if he's visiting Michigan in December know that it's not one of those trips.