Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 wins is my expectation for Coach Strong and here is why...

Randolph Duke

So, what IF Ash's injury comes back to bite him next year? He gets his bell rung against UCLA and he's once again week to week like 2013. What's reasonable? 7-5? How much is a healthy Ash worth to this team? I think it's pretty reasonable to expect those symptoms to reoccur. If you ask me, it would be a failure of this coaching staff not to get a JC or transfer QB for 2014.

Plano, I understand your concern with Ash's concussion, but as I have said before, having a concussion is not like having an ACL tear. Ash will not now be damaged goods and continuously susceptible to concussions. I think the real worry were the reports of sustained symptoms - beyond what is normal for a typical concussion. At least it would be a worry if, in fact, the reports were true (which I am leery of).

Regardless, I think you and the rest of us have real concerns if Ash goes down for whatever reason. What then? My own personal opinion is that I think Swoopes is infinitely better than Case could ever be - as the only thing that was going for Case was experience and he was a senior.

Plano, I understand your concern with Ash's concussion, but as I have said before, having a concussion is not like having an ACL tear. Ash will not now be damaged goods and continuously susceptible to concussions. I think the real worry were the reports of sustained symptoms - beyond what is normal for a typical concussion. At least it would be a worry if, in fact, the reports were true (which I am leery of).

Regardless, I think you and the rest of us have real concerns if Ash goes down for whatever reason. What then? My own personal opinion is that I think Swoopes is infinitely better than Case could ever be - as the only thing that was going for Case was experience and he was a senior.

I absolutely agree with this. While I despised the decision to pull Swoopes' redshirt and leave him with minimal playing time, I think the decision that hurt worse was not pulling it sooner and splitting time with Case. That lone Hail Mary to John Harris at the end of the first half of the Iowa State game which kept Case in as QB could have a long lasting effect if Ash is unable to stay healthy. That play essentially killed Swoopes' chance of decent PT for the rest of the year.

I think that it is silly to decide how many wins a team should have before you have seen them play. Spring football will be here soon, but even that won't even give a clear enough picture as to what this team can do. I have read some of the expectations that people have listed and I tend to agree with those who have been critical others who have set expectations based on Coach Royal( I'm only 27, so in fairness, I never experienced a team lead by Coach Royal). 10 wins is lofty...I mean, you all did watch the games this year, correct? The talent is there in places, but it is also raw talent, and out right lacking in others. There will be a natural adjustment period, and the uncertainty at the Qb position is worrisome to say the least. Doc horn stated that he was not as worried about the concussions reoccurring for Ash, I can't say that I have the same amount of faith. I have had several teammates that have multiple concussions and have had one that had to stop playing ball because of it. I worry about Ash's health as a person, not only a football player. I also wonder if he won't be a little squeamish in the pocket, if the reports are true, Ash suffered from symptoms for a very long time, pretty severe ones at that. I can't help but think that dealing with that would make him a little gun shy( rightfully so). So for me the Qb position is a big question also the change in philosophy will create an adjustment period for the players (everything, or most things will be done differently, things like pregame schedule for example, things most fans and supporters don't think about). I don't think they will have a terrible record, I actually expect them to do well, but I won't set some arbitrary number to decide if the team is improved or not..to me that is a lazy way to examine what is product...you don't have to watch the games, or even understand what is going on if you only are going to look at numbers..I will watch and evaluate the team and Coach Strong and co. by the product that I see. Better effort, sound technique, coaching adjustments, accountability, and physicality are improvements that I will look for in 2014. Texas plays one hell of a schedule next season folks, I don't know how many games they will win, I just know I am excited to see a new culture, one that I expect to have success.

Hook'em

Edited by Davharjac
typo

You are referencing Jesus in your "expectations" for a football team for a coach 9 months here??

YES, it is stupid. The game is completely different now, with different standards, and rules - scholarship limits being a prime example.

Texas has exactly TWO coaches that have won NC's.

Who the hell entitled you - you did, like some Napoleon self coronation.

Please, besides looking things up on the internet and watching games - what gives you your "expertise" in analysis??

Your multiple tirades and rants you've posted on your choices and criticisms of Strong's staff is mind boggling. You some how think you know enough based on looking up something on the internet to INFORMATIVELY have an opinion? There are two things every person has is a sphincter and an opinion.

You judge coaches you've never met, seen, talked to, got references from, know their coaching, recruiting, or simply anything on what they stand for or look for in a recruit. And this is from you, never coached or played a down in your life. Have zero 1st hand knowledge on any of the crap spewed. Yet you somehow convinced yourself that your opinions are somehow well thought out.

Without a clear QB to start the year, multiple losses on both sides of the ball, multiple questions on key players being able to come back from injury, you've never seen a single practice, never evaluated film, have zero knowledge of the strengths of the teams we play (stop, I know you may have looked up some dumb ass stats, but maybe not even that), and you think you have a solitary clue on this team.

Your are "entitled" to bitch if your ridiculously uniformed standards are not met?

Yeah, it is beyond stupid, Napoleon.

Please also give us non-football opinions you have so thoroughly investigated as well.

Here's the thing...I don't agree with Duke's post, but this is a public forum, and he has as much right as anyone else to post his opinion, and without undue criticism from any of the rest of us unless his post really warrants criticism, and I didn't see anything in it that does.

I seriously doubt there are very many people that post here who have ever been football coaches. Hell, I seriously doubt that there are that many former football players that post here, or on other blogsites for that matter. We all have opinions, and many of those opinions are informed more by emotions and bias than by hardcore football knowledge. Going to games or watching them on tv is not the same as having professional experience in the game, no matter how long you've been a fan or watched. I first came to love UT football in Coach Royal's early years, and I'd like to think I have a pretty good layman's knowledge of the sport, and of UT's team, but a layman's knowledge is all I have. I didn't play football and I never coached it, and I don't feel qualified to criticize Coach Strong or his staff, or truthfully his predecessors either, beyond the standard complaints about the team's record and poor showings against some opponents.

I'm not here to take anyone to task...I'm just saying it's important to understand the thought processes involving some posts, and not take 'em so personally as to rip the poster a new one, unless the poster really deserves to be ripped. I don't think that if I believe next year's team wins eight games, and somebody else believes they'll win ten is reason enough to publicly embarrass anybody.

Here's the thing...I don't agree with Duke's post, but this is a public forum, and he has as much right as anyone else to post his opinion, and without undue criticism from any of the rest of us unless his post really warrants criticism, and I didn't see anything in it that does.

I seriously doubt there are very many people that post here who have ever been football coaches. Hell, I seriously doubt that there are that many former football players that post here, or on other blogsites for that matter. We all have opinions, and many of those opinions are informed more by emotions and bias than by hardcore football knowledge. Going to games or watching them on tv is not the same as having professional experience in the game, no matter how long you've been a fan or watched. I first came to love UT football in Coach Royal's early years, and I'd like to think I have a pretty good layman's knowledge of the sport, and of UT's team, but a layman's knowledge is all I have. I didn't play football and I never coached it, and I don't feel qualified to criticize Coach Strong or his staff, or truthfully his predecessors either, beyond the standard complaints about the team's record and poor showings against some opponents.

I'm not here to take anyone to task...I'm just saying it's important to understand the thought processes involving some posts, and not take 'em so personally as to rip the poster a new one, unless the poster really deserves to be ripped. I don't think that if I believe next year's team wins eight games, and somebody else believes they'll win ten is reason enough to publicly embarrass anybody.

Pay attention to this cat, folks. I have followed him for quite a while and his posts are typically reasoned, down to earth and well thought out.

I most certainly agree regarding UCLA, but assuming we have a healthy David Ash at QB, I'm not sure next year would truly be considered re-loading. We have Ash at QB plus Heard coming in, plus Gray, Brown and Bergeron. Cedric Reed and Big Brown on defense plus Jordan Hicks. Actually I think there's a good reason Mack Brown wanted another year, i.e., he thinks next year's talent is better than this year's. If Ash is ready to go, I think he's right.

Well, assuming Ash remains reasonably healthy, it's still a big assumption to believe Hicks will get thru without being hurt a fair portion of it. And you mentioned Gray, but he may not even play next year. Those are two huge factors among key players you've mentioned. If this has been addressed, my apology. For some reason, I'm just now getting to this thread.

Yea, I'm one of those idiots who still think the example set by some guy 50 years ago has some relevance. If you think that is bad, I'm so screwed up I also follow what some silly jew did 2,000 years ago. Stupid, isn't it?

I feel I am entitled to complain if he doesn't manage to lead the team to a record that meets the standard that has been in place for 75 years. to me, he isn't "Texas Good" unless he can carve out a legacy that puts him in the company of Mack, Coach Royal and Coach Bible. Feel free to set your own expectations for the team.

I agree with this as a general principle. Next year, not quite so sure considering the schedule. As luck would have it, we again face UCLA at a strong point (thinking of Mack's first year in '98 when UCLA lost, I believe, just one game).