Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recruit decision - Texas A&M or Texas?

doc longhorn

There has been more than a little debate about the pros and cons of each school and what sways the modern blue chip recruit.

We have a couple of Aggies posting here and I wonder if they and our fan base can be totally honest about the appeal of each school?

Yes, I know it's hard to be objective, as a Longhorn fan and we know aggy's can be simply delusional - but let's try.

My take, if I am a hotshot 18 year old recruit - trying to decide where I want to spend my next 3 or 4 years.

Texas

Cons

1. New coach's and an unknown head coach. Talks a good story, but so has every coach that has been recruiting me. Until I see some history, other than his success at a mid level school like Louisville, I will hold my judgment of him. Texas high school coaches know nothing about him, either.

2. Last four years of Longhorn football has been unimpressive. yeah, they used to be good, but they are unexciting and, frankly, boring.

3. New HC says there will be no living off campus and we have to wear ties to the games. I don't even know HOW to tie a tie. He says we have to attend classes and actually pay attention to our grades. I never had to do this in HS. How will I be able to generate pocket money if I have to live in a dorm?

4. Texas plays in an uninteresting conference and they couldn't even win it. Who are Iowa State, WVU, Kansas and KSU? What the hell have they ever done?

5. What are my chances of playing on a winning team with these coaches?

Pros

1. Texas is the flagship school of the state of Texas

2. The new coaches appear to be honest and energetic and seem determined to win championships and constantly promoted this. They intend to promote team chemistry by moving everyone into athletic dorms together - as a TEAM. The coaches are the best that money could buy and the head coach was a WINNER at his old school.

3. The facilities and support staff (tutors and admin) are the best that money can buy.

4. They have one of the best business and law schools in the nation.

5. They have some of the most beautiful women in the nation with an established and historical sorority system.

6. The school is in Austin

7. They have 6th street

8. They have a awesome football stadium in Memorial/DKR. It is humongous and is always jam packed and LOUD.

9. They have a winning record from inception until today and they, historically, have owned A&M and the SEC.

10. Their biggest rival is OU

11. Their Heisman winners and Hall of Famers are legend

12. Their trophy cases are full of Bowl, Conference and National championship trophys. They had two Heisman winners that were legend.

Texas A&M

Cons

1. It is in college Station

2. There is no off campus social life

3. In the eyes of the nation, they are considered equivalent to Arizona State and Washington.

4. Their ROTC is ridiculed

5. Historically they have rarely achieved much significant success on the football field.

6. They are considered the "little brother' to the University of Texas

7. They have no traditional rival.

8. They are not a destination school and their HC is subject to bolting.

Pros

1. They have been the national darling team for the last two years, because of Manziel

2. They play in the best conference in the nation.

3. Their coaches are aggressive and attractive and are perceived as proven winners

4. They are on a recruiting momentum roll.

5. They are allowed to live off campus

6. They have some of the most beautiful women

7. They have one of the best engineering schools in the nation

8. Texas HC coaches are very familiar with the aggie coaches

Edited by doc longhorn

Can't forget to mention that TAMU already has programs in place for at least certain athletes to take entire semesters of exclusively on-line classes and enjoy not having to be bothered with attending classes (and they are actively expanding their on-line classes). When Charlie Strong says you have to not only attend but be on time and sit in the first two rows, then Kevin Sumlin says sitting in a classroom isn't a big part of the TAMU experience, which option do you think a lot of kids will consider attractive?

Realistically all of these things should matter. But, the ones I have noticed through interviews are location appeal, facilities, relationships with coaches, swagger/ player personality/relationships with other recruits, conference affiliation/ draft prospects,childhood favorites, program stability and above all is winning. Perception isn't always reality, but perception is enough to sway a good portion of 16-18 year old starry-eyed kids. Also, don't forget that all these may mean jack when depth chart is a factor.

I think you overestimate the lack of a social life. It's not sixth street but it compares well with other college towns.

Similarly I doubt athletes care about the corps so I don't know that's as much of a knock as you think it is as well

Only fans really care about traditional rivals.

Also sumlin recommitted to staying here recently so the notion of him bolting isn't really true.

Just off the top of my head.

Ok, somewhat off-topic, BUT....as a graduate of the Civil Engineering School at UT Austin, I have to point out it is ranked higher than aggy's. Don't assume aggy's enginering school is better than UT's.

No question that Austin's night life is a thousand times better than at BCS.

Ok, somewhat off-topic, BUT....as a graduate of the Civil Engineering School at UT Austin, I have to point out it is ranked higher than aggy's. Don't assume aggy's enginering school is better than UT's.

Lol. I seriously doubt we lost a recruit to aggy because of anything to do with academics. (Or because they had a better night life)

The aggie ROTC is a joke especially when they try to compare them selves to the great tradition of the US Navy Academy and Army. The a$m band march around the football like they are the big dogs. There is no bigger game than the Army/Navy game. Watching those young men and women from each Academy march on the field wearing there American uniforms is a great spectacle in it self. Then you have the aggies ROTC wearing only God knows uniform. For the a$m ROTC to compare them selves is like comparing a BMW to a Ford are Chevrolet by the way I drive a Chevrolet truck. As for the women Texas can compare there beauties to anyone. They use a dog as a mascot while the University Of Texas uses something that is pure Texas in the Longhorn one of the most recognized mascot in college football. The one the aggies still run around town turned down are cut off horns. That is the problem with the aggies they still pay for a Texas log to defame and use on there car are have us in there fight song. Some kids are just not into that stuff. The aggies are the only college I know of that dose that. It shows Texas is always on there minds 24/7. The aggies are having a great couple of Recruiting Season but even with all that talent are and will still be underachievers and until they get that dog off there back will go no where. If they continue to underachievers there recruitment will start to fall off and the aggies will find themselves at the bottom were I hope they stay. My friends y'all have a good week.

Have to adjust your list a little:

Pros

1. They have been the national darling team for the last two years, because of Manziel

2. They play in the best conference in the nation.

3. Their coaches are aggressive and attractive and are perceived as proven winners

4. They are on a recruiting momentum roll.

5. They are allowed to live off campus

6. They have some of the most beautiful women

7. They have one of the best engineering schools in the nation

8. Texas HC coaches are very familiar with the aggie coaches

9. Afghan hounds in the Animal Husbandry Department are no longer considered terrorist threats and will soon be set free

above all is winning. Perception isn't always reality, but perception is enough to sway a good portion of 16-18 year old starry-eyed kids.

This is my belief. It doesn't matter if A&M hasn't really won anything other than beating OU in a bowl game (and I think that was significant) - neither has Texas and the aggies had Manziel. No contest - in the eyes of a recruit.

What I also believe is happening is the crescendo of negative recruiting has been a boon to the aggies. There is no doubt the entire SEC, that recruits in Texas, has and is bashing the Longhorns and promoting the SEC. And they are helped by our brethern in the state as well. Do you think TTU, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Rice, UofH, etc., etc. are lauding the Longhorns?

And you are right - perception is everything and the aggies are riding a wave of positive perception. Conversely the Longhorns are not.

Lol. I seriously doubt we lost a recruit to aggy because of anything to do with academics. (Or because they had a better night life)

As far as academics goes, no doubt you are right - at least in the eyes of the 18 year old. Now his parents might be a different story and they DO have a little influence on where he goes to school.

You are preaching to the choir. But, I had to give them something.:)

The aggie ROTC is a joke especially when they try to compare them selves to the great tradition of the US Navy Academy and Army. The a$m band march around the football like they are the big dogs. There is no bigger game than the Army/Navy game. Watching those young men and women from each Academy march on the field wearing there American uniforms is a great spectacle in it self. Then you have the aggies ROTC wearing only God knows uniform. For the a$m ROTC to compare them selves is like comparing a BMW to a Ford are Chevrolet by the way I drive a Chevrolet truck.

The aggy Corps is comprised of around 2,000 individuals. Last I saw, 42% of the Corps were in ROTC. The rest were just playing dress-up. Aggy puts around 180 ROTC graduates into the military each year as commissioned officers. Texas puts roughly 140 in as commissioned officers each year. In other words, as universities of 50,000 total students, the difference in graduates entering military service between the two schools, as percentage of the overall student body, is less than .01% or one less than on one-hundreth of one percent.

Edited by Randolph Duke

The aggy Corps is comprised of around 2,000 individuals. Last I saw, 42% of the Corps were in ROTC. The rest were just playing dress-up. Aggy puts around 180 ROTC graduates into the military each year as commissioned officers. Texas puts roughly 140 in as commissioned officers each year. In other words, as universities of 50,000 total students, the difference in graduates entering military service between the two schools, as percentage of the overall student body, is less than .01% or one less than on one-hundreth of one percent.

Randolph my friend thanks for that. I guess the difference is we don't try to show case our selves as a military college like the aggies do. Instead we have the show case band of the South West. I think it is the largest band west of the Mississippi and they have a great half time show. Not a bunch of goose stepping make believe military. Randolph I am sorry my friend but I have no respect for a$m and the a$m and there so called tradition show they have no respect for us even though they are in the SEC. My friends y'all have a good week

Prior service here. I know Duke has a hardon for all that is aggie but there needs to be a little truth in what he says. Most ROTC programs at the university level is two years. At that point and time the student must make a decision to pursue a commission or not. I know having served with many officers from around the country that besides the service academies there are by law 6 senior military colleges that must have 24/7 ROTC cadets and cadre. A&m is one of these.

"But I don't remember the last time a blue chip recruit chose engineering as a major."

Granted, he was a kicker, but Raul Allege' graduated with a Civil Engineering degree from UT. I know that because we had classes together and were friends. But you are correct in the fact it is rare a top notch (or any) football recruit chooses engineering as a major.

I simply wanted to challenge the notion that aggy has a better engineering school than UT.

Prior service here. I know Duke has a hardon for all that is aggie but there needs to be a little truth in what he says. Most ROTC programs at the university level is two years. At that point and time the student must make a decision to pursue a commission or not. I know having served with many officers from around the country that besides the service academies there are by law 6 senior military colleges that must have 24/7 ROTC cadets and cadre. A&m is one of these.

I don't have anything against aggy other than they create a fictitious narrative of who they are and then try to demand others accept it. I think they have history and traditions that would establish their school as a fine institution, but they have some unexplained need to try to embellish their narrative to the point I believe the record needs to be set straight.

While we are talking military matters, aggy LOVES to perpetuate they myth they graduated more officers during WWII than both the service academies combined. This simply isn't true. During WWII, West Point and Annapolis continued to educate cadets in their traditional manner, the main adjustments being shifting emphasis of curriculum from strategy to tactics and accelerating the course of education from four years to three. What aggy did was host a Officer's Candidate School program run by the military on their campus. This school turned out the fabled "90 Day Wonders." It is true that more officers went through the 90 day program hosted on the campus, but they certainly didn't earn degrees from tamu in 90 days. Comparing the number of individuals completing a 90 day program not run by the university, but only hosted on their campus to the number of individuals completing a full degree course of study at the academies may make aggy feel proud and on it's face be something that appears impressive, but its just another way aggy twists the truth as an institutional policy (approximately 5,000 aggy grads were serving as officers in the military on Dec. 7, 1941. Approx 7,000 actual aggy graduates served as officers during WWII, so during the war years, aggy graduated approx 2,000 officers. Enrollment for both West Point and Annapolis at the beginning of the war was 2,000,so aggy graduated close to the number of graduates as the academy each year, but no was did they provide more than pth academies combined). For the record, Michigan State also hosted an OCS program during WWII and more individuals went through that program than the one hosted on the aggy campus. If you want another example of how aggy's attitude toward all things aggy is different than other, actually respected schools, I will point out that aggy proudly boasts that 7 CMOH recipients were graduates of their school. Harvard has more than twice that number (17, in fact) of CMOH recipients who were graduates of their university, but few people have any idea of this. Why not? Because the idea of being a citizen soldier who serves our country and then quietly goes back to civilian life was originated by our forefathers and is still respected by some. Then again, there are those who have to get in your face whenever they can and remind you they were in the military once.

I wasn't saying that aggy didn't have an ROTC program and I said nothing about their status as a SMC. What I was trying to point out is that the number of individuals receiving college educations and then becoming commissioned officers from tamu isn't appreciably different than the number following exactly the same course of action at the University of Texas. The difference is that at aggy, they run around in silly, made-up uniforms and act like they are making some great contribution that isn't being made by the students at a lot of other universities out there, but in a quieter, more respectful manner. Its a distinct cultural difference that is seen in many other aspects of aggy and at other universities, including UT.

Hence, we are right back at where we started, discussing the differences between aggy and Texas.

(Source for aggy was time numbers: Colleges and Universities in World War II By V. R. Cardozier. Available in google books, p.16)

Edited by Randolph Duke

And while I haven't kept up with it in a few years, I know that our Army ROTC program was winning some of the major competitions for our ROTC region, of which aTm is apart of. And our teams were competing nationally in our Ranger Challenge competitions. So while TAMU likes to talk about how great their corps of cadets is, the UT Army ROTC has been producing and winning.

and while i haven't kept up with it in a few years, i know that our army rotc program was winning some of the major competitions for our rotc region, of which atm is apart of. And our teams were competing nationally in our ranger challenge competitions. So while tamu likes to talk about how great their corps of cadets is, the ut army rotc has been producing and winning.

boom!

And while I haven't kept up with it in a few years, I know that our Army ROTC program was winning some of the major competitions for our ROTC region, of which aTm is apart of. And our teams were competing nationally in our Ranger Challenge competitions. So while TAMU likes to talk about how great their corps of cadets is, the UT Army ROTC has been producing and winning.

I think the competition you are referring to is the Ranger Challenge/ Sandhurst competition.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2012/5/27/3047225/ut-and-the-2012-sandhurst-competition

Edited by Randolph Duke