Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sorry to be a downer but I need to do this

hornrush

I lost a good friend last night. Chet Curtis, long-time anchor here in Boston at Channel 5 and NECN lost his battle with cancer. Chet was there for me rallying my spirits during my own battle with cancer and I'm saddened that this damn disease has claimed such a prince of a human being. I am proud to say he was my friend and I don't use that term lightly.

I don't get many friends like Chet. I know he doesn't mean a thing to anyone here but by God he was a fine man and everyone should know it.

So if you're reading this, I'm asking for a favor. The next time you hoist one, have a toast to someone you know who have been claimed by this plague of humanity, and simply say, "to hell with cancer!"

And if I can make it to Austin next fall, first round's on me. Thanks.

See you on the other side, pal. You were what's best in this industry and you'll be missed.

269630.jpg

Prayers sent and I can feel your pain. I lost one of my best childhood friends to lung cancer about 8 years ago. He was diagnosed when he was 16 and fought the battle for a little over 20 years. I hope one day they find a cure for all forms of cancer. The next time I have a drink I will toast my friend Chris and your friend Chet.

I lost a good friend last night. Chet Curtis, long-time anchor here in Boston at Channel 5 and NECN lost his battle with cancer. Chet was there for me rallying my spirits during my own battle with cancer and I'm saddened that this damn disease has claimed such a prince of a human being. I am proud to say he was my friend and I don't use that term lightly.

I don't get many friends like Chet. I know he doesn't mean a thing to anyone here but by God he was a fine man and everyone should know it.

So if you're reading this, I'm asking for a favor. The next time you hoist one, have a toast to someone you know who have been claimed by this plague of humanity, and simply say, "to hell with cancer!"

See you on the other side, pal. You were what's best in this industry and you'll be missed.

269630.jpg

Lost my brother on Tuesday his body is being brought back from Alabama. He and his family lived and worked in Alabama but made it clear he was to be buried in no place Texas. So we will bury him Monday. I took some time by my self to reflect on our life growing up together then you have to move on that is what he would have wanted. My 98 year old great Aunt died today in Mississippi. My friends y'all have a good week.

Edited by JimsTexas

prayers sent .... lost my dad a few weeks ago as well .... Dad's name was Vince Matthews & was a QB under Darrell Royal who helped Royal win his very first game over Oklahoma in 1958, 15-14 .... highly recruited out of Stephen F. Austin High in Houston .... later drafted by the NFL's Detroit Lions .... Darrell would always tell Dad "Vince, you helped me get it all started" and actually gave Dad a pair of gold cufflinks later - one of which was engraved with a "15" and one of which was engraved with a "14" - along with his T ring and lettermens jacket, these meant a lot to Dad .... Dad's last words to me "in person" three days before his death were "Hook 'em." miss ya, #10 ...

prayers sent .... lost my dad a few weeks ago as well .... Dad's name was Vince Matthews & was a QB under Darrell Royal who helped Royal win his very first game over Oklahoma in 1958, 15-14 .... highly recruited out of Stephen F. Austin High in Houston .... later drafted by the NFL's Detroit Lions .... Darrell would always tell Dad "Vince, you helped me get it all started" and actually gave Dad a pair of gold cufflinks later - one of which was engraved with a "15" and one of which was engraved with a "14" - along with his T ring and lettermens jacket, these meant a lot to Dad .... Dad's last words to me "in person" three days before his death were "Hook 'em." miss ya, #10 ...

...sorry as per the loss of your father utematt. keep your head up my friend...

Drinking a toast to you and yours as well as I type this. Thank you and here's to absent friends!

Hook'em!

My Dad died in 2004. He didn't play for Texas. When he graduated from high school the Japanese had just bombed Pearl Harbor, and he knew his time to play college ball was very limited. He was selected as one of the Eleven Iron Men of Texas his senior year of high school, so had his choice of schools. However, he said that the dynamics of college football were completely changed by the war.

He decided to go to Texas State, or, SWTSTC, where my mother was going to go to school (high school sweethearts). He had a great freshman season, saw my mother every chance he had, and volunteered immediately after his first semester. He always said they had submarines waiting for 19 year olds who were drafted, and he did not want to end up in a submarine.

He always loved the Longhorns. They were his favorite team. When we were kids, he would take us to Memorial Stadium, and we would sit in the Knothole. It was a blast!

I still miss him every day. The big C didn't get him. Heart failure did.

Edited by java

Prayers and condolences for your losses. I work at the MD Anderson Cancer Center and "get" to see how evil that disease is almost every day. I also get to see people, young and old, fight cancer almost every day, I get to witness their determination and their resolve to beat cancer and to be inspired by their strength. None of them go down without a fight and the wins are as exhilarating as the losses are heartbreaking. I can't wait for the day when they tell us to start looking for new jobs and board up MDACC because we've reached our goal and made cancer history.

Edited by utparothed

269630.jpg

Hornrush,

Really sorry to hear about your loss..

Lost my Mother-in-Law to pancreatic cancer 5 years ago...horrible disease...

Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

On Sept. 18, 2007, only a month after doctors told him that he had three-to-six months to live following a recurrence of pancreatic cancer, he presented a lecture called "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" to a packed auditorium at Carnegie Mellon.