Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did Mack do it out of spite?

Davharjac

Yes, Mack did a lot for the University of Texas, but he did no favors on the way out w having so many committed player take their official visits on the weekend of the football banquet. You can believe what you choose as it relates to the insiders and how it all played out..that so much isn't a big deal for me anymore. My thing is Mack had to know there was just no way he was going to coach in 14, so why invite so many recruits to take their official visits. I know the banquet is a spectacular celebration of the program, but Mack had to know he would be putting the program in a deficit. Was it out of spite?

One thing is for sure, Coach Strong could definitely use those official visits right about now. It would make all the difference in the world to be able to bring some of these guys on campus again and let them experience the "new" program up close and personal.

That's ridiculous.

It's a question, I am not saying that he did or didn't..but if you believe that he would purposefully destroy the Saben to Texas movement...

I don't buy that on Friday he thought he'd coach and on Saturday he was made to change his mind. He may not have planned it out like that...but many of you believed just weeks ago that Mack was selfish and childish enough to ruin the "chance" of Saben coming to Texas..

Edited by Davharjac

He was planning on coaching in 2014. I think the writing on the wall was evident on the day of the banquet but he couldn't disinvite the recruits. That would be worse.

The banquet is usually a day when alot of recruits are invited.

Mack did plenty out of spite, but this is not one of them.

If the banquet is a spectacular celebration and anyone thinks recruits enjoy that they are crazy, which is probably why our recruiting has dipped some. Have the banquet, as most football programs do, then in January have a particular weekend for those potential commits. Ideally, I would want to have a big basketball game that weekend to take the recruits to. Regardless of what style/substance you want to project having a tradition of a big January weekend that players that didn't take their official during the season attend would be a smart move IMO.

It's a question, I am not saying that he did or didn't..but if you believe that he would purposefully destroy the Saben to Texas movement...

I believe officials are scheduled quite a bit in advance. If Mack truly derailed Saban (who knows with the latest Crossfire), then he was able to do this just by hanging on a few extra days.

I believe officials are scheduled quite a bit in advance. If Mack truly derailed Saban (who knows with the latest Crossfire), then he was able to do this just by hanging on a few extra days.

They are usually scheduled in advance, Mack was given a set of parameters..had he resigned when it was expected, he could have easily told the young men to hold of on taking the visit until a coach is named. I personally don't think there would be any more negative fall out than having young men take their visits to be with a coaching staff that will not be there when they arrive on campus. If you're one to believe that Mack was truely fighting for his job until Dec 15, then yeah I can see your point, but I just don't think so. I think he was ensuring that the process would not be left to the guys with the deep pockets...in the process he put the new coaches at a disadvantage.

Fair enough question.

I also believe that he thought he would be back. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Powers thought they could pull that off as of Friday night. By Saturday morning my guess is the backlash was so overwhelming from fans and BMD's alike that Powers agreed to pull the plug. Right after there were rumors that Mack wouldn't speak to Powers and maybe this is why.

I wish Mack nothing but the best and hope the relationship between himself, the University and the fanbase is repaired and it is one of mutual admiration in the future.

I agree with Slim. It's time to let go of any hard feelings we have against Mack, and that includes me. The man brought us a National Championship, and hopefully as time passes, the entire fan base can look upon him favorably. We have a new coach, and in turn, a new era of Texas football. We should focus on that.

Absolutely not spite. The worst I could conceive of, would be that he felt his odds of holding onto his job increased the longer he could keep everything status quo, including keeping his recruits warm.

But he certainly wasn't trying to ruin the program on his way out.

Yes, Mack did a lot for the University of Texas, but he did no favors on the way out w having so many committed player take their official visits on the weekend of the football banquet. You can believe what you choose as it relates to the insiders and how it all played out..that so much isn't a big deal for me anymore. My thing is Mack had to know there was just no way he was going to coach in 14, so why invite so many recruits to take their official visits. I know the banquet is a spectacular celebration of the program, but Mack had to know he would be putting the program in a deficit. Was it out of spite?

One thing is for sure, Coach Strong could definitely use those official visits right about now. It would make all the difference in the world to be able to bring some of these guys on campus again and let them experience the "new" program up close and personal.

Mack was just at the coaches meetings - signing autographs with, "Hook 'em"

Really now.

I wonder what was going on around banquet time. I never saw, but I heard Mack and Sally didn't look happy. So, if they were still staying, why the sour look? Did a bmd tell them they were being replaced?

I have read a lot about how Mack and especially Sally acted during this time. I don't understand how anyone doesn't understand why they would not look happy? From their perspective, they gave the university 16 years, never had a hint of scandal, helped raise hundreds of millions of dollars and delivered a BCS title. I would think they are at the least disappointed in how they have been portrayed.

Mack in his mind was coming back even having breakfast with the team Saturday morning after Fridays Banquet, Powers got the call around 9:30 AM Saturday morning to get Mack to retire by the BMDS. So for 16 years Mack had the Official visit at the Banquet for as many recruits as he could get to visit. So yes he thought he had 2014.

I have read a lot about how Mack and especially Sally acted during this time. I don't understand how anyone doesn't understand why they would not look happy? From their perspective, they gave the university 16 years, never had a hint of scandal, helped raise hundreds of millions of dollars and delivered a BCS title. I would think they are at the least disappointed in how they have been portrayed.

but they thought they were staying then?

I have been quite critical of Mack Brown but I do not believe he did it that way. I think he felt he had the political connections that would make running him off near impossible. I only accuse him of underestimating the disapproval of the results on the field. Otherwise, I think he is a decent man.

but they thought they were staying then?

From what the parties involved say, I don't pay attention to rumors, he was coming back. Patterson and Powers(at banquet) both said they were looking forward to working with Mack in the future. Near direct quote. Then, overnight, it changed. This is according to Mack, Powers and Patterson. It probably changed because Powers got heat on his ass for retaining Mack? Good a guess as any?