Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Emmanuel Porter Tidbit

Darrell McPhaul

Hornsports has a good friend/source at the Dallas Morning News who requested that his name not be mentioned in this update.

Hornsports was told that Porter did indeed de-commit from Texas. There were reports that Porter de-committed via twitter.

That was not the case. Porter contacted Coach Strong via phone call and told Strong that he was de-committing.

Here is where it gets interesting. Coach Strong apparently got extremely vocal and voiced his displeasure. There was some shouting or raised voices.

As of right now, Texas has not thrown in the towel.

Hornsports has a good friend/source at the Dallas Morning News who requested that his name not be mentioned in this update.

Hornsports was told that Porter did indeed de-commit from Texas. There were reports that Porter de-committed via twitter.

That was not the case. Porter contacted Coach Strong via phone call and told Strong that he was de-committing.

Here is where it gets interesting. Coach Strong apparently got extremely vocal and voiced his displeasure. There was some shouting or raised voices.

Charlie Strong has been in college recruiting a long damn time. From position coach, to Coordinator, to Recruiting Coordinator, to Head coach he's been through it all. If it did happen (and a big 'if') I have to wonder what precipitated it.

Wow! Shouting and voicing displeasure doesn't seem to be the ideal way to sway a recruit. :)

Full disclosure: Texas underclassman and TCU grad here.

Is it fair to assume that coach Strong told the young man he needs to live up to his word?

If so, coach Strong has zero basis to go after other teams commitments because he wants young men to live up to their word if he believes what he is probably telling Porter.

Or, if he is actually playing by Beirut rules then that will be obvious soon.

I have no problem with playing by Beirut rules. I may even like it better. I support coach Strong. The Porter scenario will clear up the myth of Strong as opposed to his actions.

I'm not directing anything negative towards McPhaul or his source. I'm simply going to state that I think the information provided to McPhaul's source might have come with some exaggerated inaccuracies. Strong has been recruiting for a long time and is very well respected for his recruiting methods. I have a very, and I mean very, hard time believing that he would raise his voice or get "extremely vocal" with a recruit for simply decommitting. The phone call may have happened. The two may have voiced their differences on their intention of the commit. But as far as CS acting in that manner goes, I have to express my serious doubts.

Never for a second do I believe Coach Strong would raise his voice and yell at a recruit because he d-committed? If the phone call did take place, it was a courtesy on Porter's part.

Again, not doubting the poster, but huge doubts about the source.

It doesn't pass the Bevo smell test.

If he doesn't want to come to Texas, there is a good chance that once he arrives and he is hit with the new culture, he will not like it and leave. Save the trouble for both sides and cut ties. Recruit young men that have passion and a desire to wear TEXAS across their chest. Let him go to TCU and have balls thrown into the ground by Boykins, or that 5'6 qb they signed..

Coach Strong is a very intense. If you tell him one thing one hour and then change your mind a couple of hours later, the conversation is probably not going to be pleasant.

Not sure why some would find that hard to believe.

Not sure why you wouldn't understand that professionally it's never good to yell at a recruit. I think Strong would be smarter than that.

Yelling serves no purpose to UT, certainly not if you have any hopes of getting him back.

Seriously guys.

Didn't exactly say he was yelling at him. Just said voices were raised.

"Here is where it gets interesting. Coach Strong apparently got extremely vocal and voiced his displeasure. There was some shouting or raised voices."

Hmmm. Shouting or raised voices seems pretty close.

but as others have said, I wasn't there.

Forgive me for not believing "insiders".....