Saving Private Ryan

Apocalypse Now

If we were going to top ten here are my next 5:

Bridge over the river Kawi

MASH

All Quiet on the Western Front

Casablanca

Schindlers List

Seriously??? This is about as dumb of a post as I have ever read. This is a slap in the face to all the men that died as a result of that mission. I would love to see you actually make these same comments to an Operators face.

I'm assuming you're a squid from your pic?... All those men died as a result of terrible planning and horrible execution of a horrible mission plan. Those are plain facts. Do you know any operators? YOU should speak to an Operator. Speak to any operator in the SOF community, the community I live in, and they will echo my sentiment... The mission is a glorification of terrible mission planning. Take your sensitivity elsewhere. One of us is speaking from real life experience while the other is speaking out of his ass... That simple. It is a shame all those men died. They shouldn't have... All of their deaths could have been prevented.

Cheese the best carrier movies were Bridges of Toko Ri and 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, at least 2 of the best.

I like the Flight of the Intruder also

I liked Bridges over Toko Ri. . .after MASH perhaps the best Korean War movie going but face it ..another love story . ..

Stalag 17 mentioned above . ..

Fail Safe was a very good movie . . .one of James Earl Jones' 1st roles. . .and the set up for Dr Strangelove. .

I liked Bridges over Toko Ri. . .after MASH perhaps the best Korean War movie going but face it ..another love story . ..

Stalag 17 mentioned above . ..

Fail Safe was a very good movie . . .one of James Earl Jones' 1st roles. . .and the set up for Dr Strangelove. .

James Earl Jones was the bombardier in Strangelove. He wasn't in Failsafe. Failsafe is one of my all time favorite movies, but I consider it more a Military Geo Political thriller, similar to 7 Days in May .

Another one that was a Third World War thriller was By Dawns Early Light. And Have to include Crimson Tide in that genre.

I have a man crush on you Cool (this is Snide). These are MANLY movies (although I can't remember The Crossing - what was it about?)

The Crossing was an A&E special movie starring Jeff Daniels as George Washington, who planned and pulled off the crossing of the Delaware River and the successful attack on the Hessians at the battle of Trenton at Christmas time. He did it with poorly-equipped, poorly-clothed, and very hungry revolutionary soldiers who'd known nothing but defeat before this surprise victory. I'm sure you know the quality of A&E programming, and this is the best movie on the Revolutionary War that I've ever seen.

I do have a perverse side where war movies are concerned...that's why I still love Dr. Strangelove, and trying to figure out which real life military types from the sixties the characters in the movie are representing.

Sterling Hayden, as General Jack D. Ripper, was actually playing real life General Curtis "Bombs Away" LeMay.

Peter Sellers, in one of his three roles in the movie, as "Dr. Strangelove" was actually playing Henry Kissinger.

I'll let those of you who've seen it figure out some of the other roles.

Edited by coolhorn

I do have a perverse side where war movies are concerned...that's why I still love Dr. Strangelove, and trying to figure out which real life military types from the sixties the characters in the movie are representing.

Oh that's easy

Strangelove is based on Kissenger

General Turgenson was based on Curtis Lemay, he tried several times to get us in a shooting war with the Russians, including firing an Atlas missile during the middle of the Cuban missile crisis from vandenberg toward the NW Pacific, from the early trajectory it looked much like the target was Russia. Lemay claimed it was a routine test.

Fortunately the Russian early warning system was primitive and missed the whole thing or else they likely would have fired on us and that appeared to be Le Mays plan he wanted the war and felt we outgunned them about 30-1 in weapons

As a side note, the reasons our nukes have PAL's ( basically locks on the nuclear detonators that require codes to activate them) is Eisenhower's distrust of LeMay when Lemay was in charge of our nuclear arsenal in the early 50's as SAC commander. This Eisenhower insisted on the PALs.

LeMay also send a squadron of b-47s over Moscow at high noon during the Mayday celebration in around 1956. Basically the 47s could fly higher than the Migs and they had not yet developed SAMs as of yet. LeMay was sending the message, hey Ruskies, you are my bitch.

He was a loose cannon and wanted the war to destroy the Russians and rid the world of the "commie" menace. Fascinating study in narcissism , LeMay was.

If you guys like Cold War hx, read Richard Rhoades book. Dark Sun, he chronicles a fascinating time of our development of the hydrogen bomb and it's political annd military conflict and implications.

Edited by DocHorn

I suppose I can't write about war movies without including at least one John Wayne movie. I know he had some better-known war movies, but my favorite was Otto Preminger's In Harms Way. The Duke, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda, Patricia Neal, Burgess Meredith, Carroll O'Connor, and the mighty Japanese battleship the Yamato, being taken on by a bunch of PT boats. That was some pretty good stuff for a war movie, and you can never go wrong by featuring John Wayne.

Oh that's easy

Strangelove is based on Kissenger

General Turgenson was based on Curtis Lemay, he tried several times to get us in a shooting war with the Russians, including firing an Atlas missile during the middle of the Cuban missile crisis from vandenberg toward the NW Pacific, from the early trajectory it looked much like the target was Russia. Lemay claimed it was a routine test.

Fortunately the Russian early warning system was primitive and missed the whole thing or else they likely would have fired on us and that appeared to be Le Mays plan he wanted the war and felt we outgunned them about 30-1 in weapons

As a side note, the reasons our nukes have PAL's ( basically locks on the nuclear detonators that require codes to activate them) is Eisenhower's distrust of LeMay when Lemay was in charge of our nuclear arsenal in the early 50's as SAC commander. This Eisenhower insisted on the PALs.

LeMay also send a squadron of b-47s over Moscow at high noon during the Mayday celebration in around 1956. Basically the 47s could fly higher than the Migs and they had not yet developed SAMs as of yet. LeMay was sending the message, hey Ruskies, you are my bitch.

He was a loose cannon and wanted the war to destroy the Russians and rid the world of the "commie" menace. Fascinating study in narcissism , LeMay was.

If you guys like Cold War hx, read Richard Rhoades book. Dark Sun, he chronicles a fascinating time of our development of the hydrogen bomb and it's political annd military conflict and implications.

I loved the Russian Premier's name...Dimitri Kissoff...and the actor did a pretty spot on impression of Khruschev, as Kissoff.

It was mentioned in a post above about Audie Murphy being the most decorated WWII soldier. I have been told (can't provide a link to substantiate it, sorry) that the 2nd and 3rd most decorated WWII soldiers were both from the small town of Trinidad, Texas, in Henderson County. I don't know their names; I was told this by a friend from Trinidad. Interesting trivia, if true.

I'm assuming you're a squid from your pic?... All those men died as a result of terrible planning and horrible execution of a horrible mission plan. Those are plain facts. Do you know any operators? YOU should speak to an Operator. Speak to any operator in the SOF community, the community I live in, and they will echo my sentiment... The mission is a glorification of terrible mission planning. Take your sensitivity elsewhere. One of us is speaking from real life experience while the other is speaking out of his ass... That simple. It is a shame all those men died. They shouldn't have... All of their deaths could have been prevented.

Here's to speaking out of my ass....

It's funny that you think I'm being too sensitive when you don't even know me, and you have no idea why I might be somewhat frustrated with your statements. I am not questioning your belief that the planning and execution of the mission was poorly executed. I am questioning why you would publicly criticize the "poor" planning and execution. I'm sorry, that's just how I feel. And while you may or may not live in the SOF community (there's a lot of pretenders out there), that gives you no added privilege to say what you will about 19 dead men in such a manner. If you feel the need to do so, keep it in house. I served for 12 years and this is something that is not taken lightly in my community I served.

Master at Arms 2nd Class (EXW)