Find results in...

***Your Top Five War Movies***

Lukus Alderman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay - now that I have ridiculed everyone else, I will leave myself open for the same. These are my 5 favorites:

Private Ryan - the invasion beach seen was beyond incredible and realistic.

FULL METAL JACKET - the drill instructor role was an absolute classic

Tora, Tora, Tora - I love war movies that are mostly historically accurate

Patton - see above

The Longest Day - see above and above

Second 5:

Midway

Pearl Harbor - not the Ben Aflac one (a chick flick)

Their Finest Hour

Kelly's Heroes

Glory

EDIT: I put Platoon instead of Full Metal Jacket. I'm surprised no one caught that.

Edited by doc longhorn

OMG - seriously? These were CHICK FLICKS, for Gods sake.

I thought the OP was looking for WAR movies with blood, cursing, John Wayne, killing, crushing, blood (needed to be said again), guts, gore and MANLY goings on? Men, it's WAR MOVIES.

AFRICAN QUEEN? Ah,ha,ha,ha.

(You know I am just kidding, right?)

Actually Casablanca and African Queen are 2 of the best movies ever made both based on how the war impacted civilians . ..chick flicks??? Hardly . .but if you'd like a Bogey "war" movie. . try Sahara. ..very good

Tears of the Sun is well done. ..I'm impressed Lucas mentioned it. . .as a movie critic. . .he largely sucks. . .no it was not about a kid playing with toy airplanes

Das Boot is outstanding. . one of the best war movies of all time. . .

I will add another (though not a Top 5. . still a well worth seeing movie) Diefiant with Daniel Craig about the jews in Eastern Europe. . .

Master and Commander if also excellent. . .

Some great ones mentioned... I liked Patton. .I didn't love patton. ..

Pearl harbor sucked but the 12 minute attack on Pearl Harbor scene was outstanding. ..

We were soliders once and young . ..great movie (played a bit loose with reality but still . ..it's holly wood. . .) BTW, some from OB know Wedge. .a current F16 driver. . .his uncle is

is the Barry Pepper character and he co-authored the book. . .

If you want a great study in command. . 12 O'CLock high with Cary Grant is outstanding. . .Lucas can't watch it because it's black and white. . .

I enjoyed Flight of the Intruder but I've flown off carriers . .

Actually Casablanca and African Queen are 2 of the best movies ever made both based on how the war impacted civilians . ..chick flicks??? Hardly . .but if you'd like a Bogey "war" movie. . try Sahara. ..very good

Tears of the Sun is well done. ..I'm impressed Lucas mentioned it. . .as a movie critic. . .he largely sucks. . .no it was not about a kid playing with toy airplanes

I will add another (though not a Top 5. . still a well worth seeing movie) Diefiant with Daniel Craig about the jews in Eastern Europe. . .

Pearl harbor sucked but the 12 minute attack on Pearl Harbor scene was outstanding. ..

We were soliders once and young . ..great movie (played a bit loose with reality but still . ..it's holly wood. . .) BTW, some from OB know Wedge. .a current F16 driver. . .his uncle is

If you want a great study in command. . 12 O'CLock high with Cary Grant is outstanding. . .Lucas can't watch it because it's black and white. . .

Largely agree with what you said.

Haven't seen Das Boot. Might try to see that soon.

Defiant was a HUGE disappointment for me.

Loved Master and Commander...very frustrated that they haven't worked on doing a second part to that.

Agree on Pearl Harbor.

We Were Soldiers is the best Vietnam movie I've seen.

I forgot one favorite war movie, and I cannot think of the title.

It was about thousands of Zulu warriors attacking a small contingent of British soldiers. The title just escapes me, but it was am awesome movie.

I'm assuming you are going for a joke here. . .

Zulu is the name of the movie. . .

Green Berets

Act of Valor - will admit the acting was horrible, but seeing a it was made by actual Navy Seals, they get a pass. Plus it really followed what goes down when actionable intel comes down the pike.

Band of Brothers

Saving Private Ryan

A Bridge too Far

The acting was the only thing that kept Act of Valor off of my list. Great movie.

Patton

Tora Tora Tora

Good Morning Vietnam

Battle Of Britain

The Crossing

Aaah, Battle of Britian. I don't consider it a Great War movie but it was historically accurate and well shot. It was also the first movie premiere I went to.

For those of us from West Texas many are familiar with the Edwards Brothers and their huge ranching empire. What many don't know is both brothers were decorated war pilots and helped found the Confederate Air Force. At one time Connie Edwards was considered one of the more accomplished WWII aircraft pilots. He taught himself how to fly just about every plane flown in that war both by the Allies and Axis powers. He flew just about every plane shot in that movie. Most of the time he was flying every plane in a shot, they just clipped in the multiple planes in post production.

At one time he was flying the last surviving two seater Messerschmitt. The landing gear would'nt go down despite repeated attempts and the owner of the plane and the production company realized the plane was lost. They pleaded with Connie to bail out and scuttle th plane. Connie had another idea. He asked them if he could successfully belly land the plane whether he could keep it. He also said he knew it would violate his contract with the production company and therefore he would consider his entire pay for the shoot the Messerschmitt, should they survive. After a short negotiation since he was quickly running out of gas, they acquiesced.

He successfully landed the plane, which he kept and ultimately belly landed another plane, which he also kept.

Only afterward did Connie find out that that Messerschmitt was one of the most difficult planes to belly land. Apparently the pilots that flew those planes on a regular basis had a a very low success rate in crash landing them on land or sea.

They were relatives of mine and I loved going out to their ranch when I was just a tike. It really affected my brothers who both went into Aviation. One of my brothers is a retired pilot and now and is currently the Chief Crash investigator for the NTSB. He credits Connie and his historic actions shooting that movie in installing his love and fascination with flying, planes and their untimely accidents.

Edited by POCKEY

I'm assuming you are going for a joke here. . .

Zulu is the name of the movie. . .

LOL - No, I seriously couldn't remember the name. But, of course - Zulu.

And, yes, regardless of how classical they were, Casablanca and African Queen were love stories - hence "chick flicks". You will note, none of my choices were about some contrived love story. I can't begin to conceive how Flight of the Intruder can anyway be construed as a war movie.

We were soldiers was an outstanding war movie - as was A Bridge Too Far. I agree, Sahara was very good.

Aaah, Battle of Britian. I don't consider it a Great War movie but it was historically accurate and well shot. It was also the first movie premiere I went to.

For those of us from West Texas many are familiar with the Edwards Brothers and their huge ranching empire. What many don't know is both brothers were decorated war pilots and helped found the Confederate Air Force. At one time Connie Edwards was considered one of the more accomplished WWII aircraft pilots. He taught himself how to fly just about every plane flown in that war both by the Allies and Axis powers. He flew just about every plane shot in that movie. Most of the time he was flying every plane in a shot, they just clipped in the multiple planes in post production.

At one time he was flying the last surviving two seater Messerschmitt. The landing gear would'nt go down despite repeated attempts and the owner of the plane and the production company realized the plane was lost. They pleaded with Connie to bail out and scuttle th plane. Connie had another idea. He asked them if he could successfully belly land the plane whether he could keep it. He also said he knew it would violate his contract with the production company and therefore he would consider his entire pay for the shoot the Messerschmitt, should they survive. After a short negotiation since he was quickly running out of gas, they acquiesced.

He successfully landed the plane, which he kept and ultimately belly landed another plane, which he also kept.

Only afterward did Connie find out that that Messerschmitt was one of the most difficult planes to belly land. Apparently the pilots that flew those planes on a regular basis had a a very low success rate in crash landing them on land or sea.

They were relatives of mine and I loved going out to their ranch when I was just a tike. It really affected my brothers who both went into Aviation. One of my brothers is a retired pilot and now and is currently the Chief Crash investigator for the NTSB. He credits Connie and his historic actions shooting that movie in installing his love and fascination with flying, planes and their untimely accidents.

Wow! VERY interesting story. What part of Katy do you live in? I am in the Seven Lakes sub-division.

LOL - No, I seriously couldn't remember the name. But, of course - Zulu.

And, yes, regardless of how classical they were, Casablanca and African Queen were love stories - hence "chick flicks". You will note, none of my choices were about some contrived love story. I can't begin to conceive how Flight of the Intruder can anyway be construed as a war movie.

We were soldiers was an outstanding war movie - as was A Bridge Too Far. I agree, Sahara was very good.

Good point. . .movie about flying A-6 bombing missions off carriers over North Viet Nam is hardly a "war movie". . .

:P

Good point. . .movie about flying A-6 bombing missions off carriers over North Viet Nam is hardly a "war movie". . .

:P

LOL! Jesus Christ, I am losing it. I was thinking flight of the Intruder was that movie about the desert plane crash whereby they built a makeshift plane out of a wing. My bad.

Wow! VERY interesting story. What part of Katy do you live in? I am in the Seven Lakes sub-division.

I'm In Kelliwood Lakes.

There's a group of us that meet up at Whole Foods most Thursday late afternoons at the bar to have a beer and discuss all things burnt orange. We were there last night as they had a special release from Karbach. One of The guys and a regular on TOS will be over here shortly and writing a weekly Beer Snob article. He goes by xcoach2. There's also a former player that shows up periodically. It's a good time. Stop by if you can.

LOL! Jesus Christ, I am losing it. I was thinking flight of the Intruder was that movie about the desert plane crash whereby they built a makeshift plane out of a wing. My bad.

Flight of the Phoenix. . .a remake of a 50/60s movie. . ..must have been a Zulu moment for you. . .:cool:

OTOH, I carry my driver's license to remember who I am sometimes. . .

This was done on OB about a year ago. When all the votes were tabulated Starship Troopers ended up making the top ten. If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about the inmates over there I don't know what will.

That's when I first began looking for a new site to land.

I'm In Kelliwood Lakes.

There's a group of us that meet up at Whole Foods most Thursday late afternoons at the bar to have a beer and discuss all things burnt orange. We were there last night as they had a special release from Karbach. One of The guys and a regular on TOS will be over here shortly and writing a weekly Beer Snob article. He goes by xcoach2. There's also a former player that shows up periodically. It's a good time. Stop by if you can.

Oh yes, I know the sub-division - lovely area. The love of my life and I looked there, before we had our house built. I may try to make one of your little get togethers some time.

Cheese the best carrier movies were Bridges of Toko Ri and 30 Seconds Over Tokyo, at least 2 of the best.

I like the Flight of the Intruder also

Lone Survivor is not a good movie if you have any military experience or appreciate successful military operations... Brief synopsis... SEAL team poorly plans a mission. SEAL team poorly executes said mission. SEAL team gets a bunch of people killed for their mistakes. The end. Common theme on all of these SEAL movies is mission failure, even catastrophic mission failure at times.

Seriously??? This is about as dumb of a post as I have ever read. This is a slap in the face to all the men that died as a result of that mission. I would love to see you actually make these same comments to an Operators face.

Just thought of a few that were not mentioned because they might not crack folks top 5 but are all great flicks.

Hamburger Hill - most underrated Vietnam movie IMO!

Empire of the Sun - Spielberg and a young Christian Bale, I can watch this movie over and over.

Fail Safe - fairly obscure movie, at least to my generation of 30 something's. Cold War piece.

Spies Like Us - got to have a comedy every once in a while

Had to edit once I realized I listed more than 3.