***Your Top Five War Movies***

Lukus Alderman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen Tora, Tora, Tora.

Patton was BOOOOOOOORRRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNNG!

LOL - Patton - boring? You will be voted out of the military movies club.

And you don't even have Gung Ho with John Wayne. Nor Midway. Nor Das Boot. My God, you didn't even have Platoon!

However, I'm glad you didn't put Thin Red Line up - it sucked.

jk - your list was good.

Bridge on River Kawi, as #1 and in class by itself. Cast alone, for that.

From Here to Eternity... outbreak of war. Again, all-star cast. All-time scene on the beach, rivals "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" from Gone with the Wind.

We Were Soldiers... teaching moment on causes and insanity of war, I liked better than Platoon.

Kelly's Heros... best entertainment war film ever!

Two classics surrounding war... Casablanca and African Queen... only the greatest stars in the history of film in those two.

The two War movies that affect me to this date are Saving Private Ryan and Breaker Morant. I know this wont be popular but all the others are great movies and tell compelling stories but the two aforementioned movies actually changed my views and beliefs.

Lukas, watch Breaker Morant. You'll see it just once, its that moving, but come back and tell me what you think.

Oh, and any war movie that leaves out Lawrence of Arabia ain't worth a bullit in the big toe.

Haha! I haven't seen any of those movies you listed.

I did see Thin Red Line and hated it.

Haven't seen Lone Survivor yet...looking forward to that one.

I was tempted to put Taking Chance on the list, but it wasn't quite there.

Sigh! Okay, I'm seriously going to have to challenge whether or not you need a testicular transplant.

It is a requirement to, at least, have seen Platoon. And never mind Tora, Tora, Tora. And, finally, it is considered sacrilegious not to have seen ANY John Wayne military movie.

Is this what the American male has come to? :)

Edited by doc longhorn

Sigh! Okay, I'm seriously going to have to challenge whether or not you need a testicular transplant.

It is a requirement to, at least, have seen Platoon. And never mind Tora, Tora, Tora. And, finally, it is considered sacrilegious not to have seen ANY John Wayne military movie.

Is this what the American male has come to?

Missed the part about Platoon. Yeah...saw that...didn't like it.

Lone Survivor is not a good movie if you have any military experience or appreciate successful military operations... Brief synopsis... SEAL team poorly plans a mission. SEAL team poorly executes said mission. SEAL team gets a bunch of people killed for their mistakes. The end. Common theme on all of these SEAL movies is mission failure, even catastrophic mission failure at times.

Bridge on River Kawi, as #1 and in class by itself. Cast alone, for that.

From Here to Eternity... outbreak of war. Again, all-star cast. All-time scene on the beach, rivals "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" from Gone with the Wind.

We Were Soldiers... teaching moment on causes and insanity of war, I liked better than Platoon.

Kelly's Heros... best entertainment war film ever!

Two classics surrounding war... Casablanca and African Queen... only the greatest stars in the history of film in those two.

OMG - seriously? These were CHICK FLICKS, for Gods sake.

I thought the OP was looking for WAR movies with blood, cursing, John Wayne, killing, crushing, blood (needed to be said again), guts, gore and MANLY goings on? Men, it's WAR MOVIES.

AFRICAN QUEEN? Ah,ha,ha,ha.

(You know I am just kidding, right?)