Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Predictions about the new Texas offense

aowells

In another thread I inadvertently upset a few folks by claiming that we'll be running a "whatever's left in the fridge" offense that would be hard to sell to offensive recruits. Clearly many posters here disagree and feel that CS has a plan in place. Since I don't think anyone here has claimed to have any inside knowledge of what is planned for the offense, I'd be curious to hear your predictions.

Personally, I think they'll start by giving Wickline some rope to try putting together an up-tempo, run-heavy spread that leverages our depth at RB. Probably similar to what Texas attempted this (last) year. Hopefully with better execution, improved conditioning and fewer injuries it actually works. The up-tempo should fit well with the new focus on toughness and improved conditioning.

I'm a bit worried that if it doesn't look promising initially and depending on what happens with the QB position, that CS and Watson could decide to shift back to their comfort zone with more of a pro-style - not that it couldn't work, but it's not as much fun to watch and probably hurts our defense's ability to prep for Big 12 opponents.

What's your prediction?

Oklahoma St meets Miss St...Shotgun forms w one back, a wing (fb/te depending which positions has the better utility player), and three wr. Back will probably be slightly deeper than the qb for some downhill running. Lot of pistol..lot of power, counter, and lead. Screen game will probably be more effective because the players will be held accountable for making the blocks. More Qb run game, especially if is Heard ends up w the job. Play action and quick passes..probably pass the ball about 17-20 times again. I think they "play w tempo" more than they are "uptempo" OSU didn't huddle..but they didn't always go fast either...I think Texas will do some of the same.

Edited by Davharjac
"if"

Auburn essentially runs the old school double wing option offense in the shot gun. Very simple, but hard to stop bc it's all about making the D defend multiple plays on one play. I like it a ton, but it's a completely different style of spread. It's closer to what Urban does than OSU

I think it will be a good mix, if called right. We have elite backs, great mix of receivers, but questions at QB next year. My gut tells me that it will be a bit more run heavy spread, but with a better managed passing game to go with it. No matter who is at QB, we will have better arm strength. With that and a well executed run out of the spread the deep routes are open.

Let's just hope it is something that gets us excited. I am tired of a predictable, boring offense. Personally, I don't much like the new regime seems to want to build barriers, but they have to justify that decision. I'm enjoying the fact that we are headed in a new direction. I just wish I had a clue what that direction was and that I had a bit more confidence in that direction.

Edited by Randolph Duke

I think it will be a good mix, if called right. We have elite backs, great mix of receivers, but questions at QB next year. My gut tells me that it will be a bit more run heavy spread, but with a better managed passing game to go with it. No matter who is at QB, we will have better arm strength. With that and a well executed run out of the spread the deep routes are open.

The execution is important. More than half of the osu offense is based on qb reads at the line. This is where having Watson as qb coach will help us.

I'm fine w boring if it's effective. Michigan St, Bama, FSU, and Stanford play effective and don't spread the ball around. It's a misconception that you have to win the Big 12 w offense. Defense wins the Conference. Baylor played the best D that they have played in years this season. K State wins w good D and running the ball. OU spreads it around a bit, but they run it a lot as well and when they have won, it's been w good D and winning the turnover battle. It's hard to do that in Baylor's offense. I like the idea of a run first spread.

I love the fact that the OSU offense is just a few plays with multiple options built within each play based on the defense's look and other things. That's what I want. OSU has for years been averaging a ton of points, but also had a strong run game to go along with it. Oregon is one of the biggest up tempo teams in the country and they run the ball effectively. Baylor has been at its best the past couple of years when they've been effective running the ball.