Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Talked with a buddy of mine about the Wickline hire...

bondloungehorn

I posted this at OB figured I'd post it here since I miss talking football with some of you knuckleheads including Mcphaul :cool:

He's an assistant coach with ties to all the same systems Holgerson, Sumlin, Kingsbury, and Gundy...he had some good thoughts to go along with what I know (bare with me I'm no expert in OSU football but have a pretty good feel on the program which I've envied the job Gundy has done for years). The Mike Gundy coaching tree has been growing at an alarming rate the last few years.

I asked him what he thought about the Wickline hire, his promotion to OC as play caller, and the current mini meltdown of some of our fan base for not having any experience play calling since Prince was dropping #1 hits. I told him that Strong said in his press conference that we will run spread, but wants to run the ball more and be physical, and that Strong mentioned Wickline and the success of OSU offense a couple times in the press conference leading me to believe we probably implement their offense.

He told me that Wickline was the best coach on the OSU staff and the fans think he's the best coach regardless of sport on campus. He was the anchor for the program and his value can never be overstated. Excellent evaluator and an even better developer of talent. His own personal views on S&C on building his OL up is very underrated he thinks. We all know the stories of Kurt Seifried the 4 year scout team backup center that he plugged at RG his SR season to see him become a huge force for them. Andrew Lewis was a 240 lb kid out of Missouri that no one wanted but Missouri State that Gundy questioned why are they offering him a scholarship. Wickline replied "I'm just telling you, the kid can snap the ball, he's tough, and he can run." Two years later Lewis was starting at 285 lbs and graduated at 298 lbs as a SR. His teammate Brady Bond played 8 man football in Oklahoma and both ended up on rosters in the NFL. In 2010 they only returned 4 starters on offense and 1 on the OL and still won 11 games.

He laughed about the mini meltdown and said we are going to be in great hands with Wickline. In Wickline we have the ultimate OSU system guy who was there to install it with Fedora and there for all the tweaks made by all the recent OCs (Holgerson, Gundy, Monken, and Yurich). He told me Wickline has always had been heavily involved in the game planning as the run game coordinator, and the entire coaching staff was involved with the play calling throughout the week. He told me that he thinks play calling is important but its execution first, second, and third over anything then next is personnel, talent, and your QB.

When Monken left last year to S. Miss only 3 weeks before the bowl game Gundy took over the play calling for the game. Gundy hadn't called plays in three years. OSU won 58-14 over Purdue with Gundy getting input on the headset all game long from multiple offensive coaches. The players make decisions on which plays they run. They give them a variety of plays over 50% of them base on run-pass that can be checked at the line. Gundy would say after that bowl win that their game planning is no different than when Larry Fedora was there. All the ins and outs are basically the same. Gundy said numerous guys on the coaching staff could have handled the play calling for that game.

Monken (the OC the last 2 years at OSU) went on to S. Miss and the offense averaged 17 ppg and ranked 119th in the country while Holgerson's WVU squad ranked 82nd this year. These are the supposed two best "play callers" in the Gundy era. Yurich who came over from Division 2 this season had the offense ranked 14th in the country despite injuries and shuffling along the OL, not deciding on a QB (week 6) and not finding RB Desmond Roland until mid-October. Holgerson & Monken had much better numbers at OSU but much better talent. The one constant throughout was Gundy & Wickline.

When Gundy took over the play calling when Fedora left for two years he had Gunter Brewer and Wickline as co-OCs with Gundy relying on Wickline to be his eye in the sky during the games having him in the booth. You can see a lot better upstairs and see them spinning from one coverage to the next or showing a blitz. During the spring of 2009 Gundy gave up play calling duties to them during practice so he could focus on the overall team. I guess the point he was getting at is the play calling falls on the entire staff during prep and we should be fine with Wickline, Watson, and Koenning.

Why didn't Gundy ever promote Wickline to OC? I have no idea. Maybe it was easier to keep Wickline at OL and bring in someone to teach the system since the hire of Yurich was so out of left field? I know Wickline didn't get pulled to other schools because he got paid extremely well to coach the OL up there. Doug Meacham another coach who had been with Gundy/Wickline since Day 1 as TE/inside WR coach got paid 300K to be the UH OC this year and TCU hired him away for 350K next season. Less then what Wickline was making to be the OL coach at OSU. Wickline's salary at Texas to be the OC will be higher than the 700K S. Miss is paying Todd Monken to be a head coach.

He told me Gundy told Holgerson he wanted to run the ball more when he arrived but the personnel (aka QB Weeden) just didn't fit plus they only returned 1 on the OL. I'm probably giving away who the coach is now but he told me Wickline was the main coach who made sure Holgorsen's offense and language was installed smoothly. Gundy had nothing but dual threat QBs in his time (I'm not counting Pena/Reid in Gundy's first season his only losing season) in Reid, Robinson, Chelf, and now Walsh outside of Weeden's two years. With the personnel Texas has at QB I would expect them to run the QB a lot more and resemble the OSU offense non-Weeden years. OSU seemed to go back to the Zac Robinson offense when Chelf finally took over and they were only 1 of 3 teams in the entire country with 300 yards passing and 200 yards rushing per game this year.

From 2007-2012 they have produced 6 STRAIGHT 1st team All Big 12 RBs & 8 OL have had All Big 12 honors.

2006 Reid 2200+ passing yards, 500+ rushing yards 28 TDs (Fedora)

2007 Robinson 2800+ passing yards, 850+ rushing yards 32 TDs (Fedora)

2008 Robinson 3000+ passing yards, 550+ rushing yards 33 TDs (Gundy)

2009 Robinson (naggin injuries all year crushed their offense) 2000+ passing yards 300+ rushing yards 19 TDs

2010-2011 Weeden years 4200+ & 4700+ passing yards 34 & 37 TDs (Holgerson & Monken)

2012 Chelf & Walsh 3000+ passing yards 500+ rushing yards 35 TDs (Monken)

2013 Chelf & Walsh 3400+ passing yards 650+ rushing yards 36 TDs (Yurich)

He told me four years of Jerrod Heard (he recruited him also) in this offense with Strong manning the defense is something that needs to be exciting the (crap) out of me.

Ever since we hired Joe Wickline, I been reading up on him. I believe he's a brilliant football coach, who deserves a chance to be a OC somewhere. I'm glad it's with Texas. I do believe he called plays last year, but it was too embarrassing for Okie State to admit it. I noticed the Cowboys scored more points against us last year than the Art Briles's Baylor Bears.

It's a lot easier to call plays when you know your running back is going to get at least four or five yards each carry and your QB will have time to throw the ball. With Wickline's OL he practically guarantees a dominant OL. Joe should do fine calling plays once we figure out the QB situation. He will also have two coaches with play calling experience to help him. A Oklahoma State, Auburn, Oklahoma, and Stanford (the three teams Coach Strong mentioned in his press conference) offense along with a dominant defense is fine with me.

Saw this over on Hornfans where I've had a long and lasting membership... under Recruiting Forum.

Not a perfect fit on this thread, but seems to, as it's upbeat and makes a point.

And this is very positive thread.

I believe there are direct and indirect 'value added' qualities to all the coaching hires, and to the coaching staff as a whole.

This thing is going to grow and develop. This post is just one aspect of it. Stretch your imagination.

And I say do not sell Coach Strong short on the magnitude of his appreciation for this hire, and what he's capable of doing with it.

From "Crocket" ... opening post of Strong at Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship 1/16 at 11:24 am

Strong wasted no time getting to Dallas after Wednesday's press conference. My brother, an Aggie, saw him at the 7 p.m. Service at Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship and said he was invited by Pastor Tony Evans into the pulpit at 8:30 P.M. Strong said a few words about Christ's importance in his life and mentioned the rules about consequences for skipping class (first time, player runs, second time position group runs, third time position group and position coach run.") My brother said Strong made a good impression. The church draws a lot of worshipers from South Dallas, De Soto, Duncanvile, and Cedar Hill ... football recruiting hotbeds. My brother said he's not sure the impact for Strong's message for college atheletes, but thought it would be very persuasive to the mothers and dads of prospective college athletes.

Saw this over on Hornfans where I've had a long and lasting membership... under Recruiting Forum.

Not a perfect fit on this thread, but seems to, as it's upbeat and makes a point.

And I say do not sell Coach Strong short on the magnitude of his appreciation for this hire, and what he's capable of doing with it.

From "Crocket" ... opening post of Strong at Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship 1/16 at 11:24 am

Deserves it's own thread. I love the idea that he is striving to change the culture of America one player at a time.

I do believe he called plays last year, but it was too embarrassing for Okie State to admit it. I noticed the Cowboys scored more points against us last year than the Art Briles's Baylor Bears.

"I contacted two sources close to the OSU program and both said Wickline did not call plays. One of the sources said all of the Cowboys’ plays were called by Yurcich.

So, there you go."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/jimmietramel/texas-hiring-of-joe-wickline-leads-to-question/article_c2ba5cbc-7e47-11e3-9bcd-0019bb30f31a.html

FYI - Okie Lite played us in perfect weather on a blissful Saturday afternoon. The evening we played Baylor it was miserable cold and windy. Apples and oranges.

"I contacted two sources close to the OSU program and both said Wickline did not call plays. One of the sources said all of the Cowboys’ plays were called by Yurcich.

So, there you go."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sports/jimmietramel/texas-hiring-of-joe-wickline-leads-to-question/article_c2ba5cbc-7e47-11e3-9bcd-0019bb30f31a.html

FYI - Okie Lite played us in perfect weather on a blissful Saturday afternoon. The evening we played Baylor it was miserable cold and windy. Apples and oranges.

OSU just lost their best coach on the staff and one of the best staff coaches in the nation to a conference foe...would they admit at this point what a big hand he had in things?

Travis Haney from ESPN says he spoke to a coach who claims Wickline was calling the plays last season for OSU. Who is right?

The more I look at this coaching staff, the more I like about it.

For years I've watched the Oklahoma State offense burn through QBs and OCs and RBs and OLmen and never miss a beat. They might slow down a little bit while figuring things out, but in the end they always seem to roll once they get started. If Wickline played as large of a part in that as it appears I think we just not only helped ourselves a lot, but really hurt a major competitor.

Also, while we didn't go out and get the big name like Morris or Herman, we got a staff that for all intents and purposes is going to be here for a few years. Sometimes having guys that are going to stay together is better than constantly replacing guys. Wickline was happy to work in Stillwater for almost a decade so you have to expect him to be a long term guy. Watson might move if he were able to get a playcalling job somewhere, but maybe not. Robinson could have gone to Detroit, but elected to stay. Koenning has been an OC for almost two decades and was comfortable enough to come here as the WR coach so I don't see him moving on.

This is going to be huge for us. These coaches are going to be able to build relationships over time and that will pay off for us.

Thanks for posting this here Bond. I read it over on OB and it was very insightful. I was also intrigued at the possibility of Holgersen. If Watson were to leave after this year for a OC job somewhere or the NFL, Holgersen would be a perfect fit to come in and work with Wickline in that role. P-E-R-F-E-C-T.