Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WR Emmanuel Porter to TCU

Lukus Alderman

Porter may have been the best of the bunch, but Strong has already closed the deal with Ed Freeman today, and we have 5 other WRs committed anyway.

I don't see us being the Air Raid anyway, so if we recruit football players that want to play and play as a great team, instead of guys that only want to be the "One", I have no problem with Coach Strong doing it his way. X's and O's, and toughness are fine by me.

I don't get the love for Porter (don't get me wrong I would have liked to keep him). He's big and fast, but he's really rough around the edges right now. Has a bunch of upside, but all he is right now is an athlete. Joe and Foreman are both better IMO. Porter could develop into a great receiver, but right now he's just big and fast with little understanding of how to play receiver.

Porter may have been the best of the bunch, but Strong has already closed the deal with Ed Freeman today, and we have 5 other WRs committed anyway.

I don't see us being the Air Raid anyway, so if we recruit football players that want to play and play as a great team, instead of guys that only want to be the "One", I have no problem with Coach Strong doing it his way. X's and O's, and toughness are fine by me.

So Porter is the best of the WRs and he has previously stated that he wants to stick with UT if UT really wants him and Strong cares enough about the guy to make him a priority visit but he fumbles the ball by not arriving with his new position coach on a guy that apparently feels his position coach is very important and its somehow the recruit's fault for wanting to be the "One"???? Got it.

It's better to lose them now than have them come and not be happy. I think most of these kids are starting to get a pretty good feel for what's going to be expected of them if they want to play for Charlie Strong. If they're not on board 100%...then good luck to them playing for someone else.

I don't get the love for Porter (don't get me wrong I would have liked to keep him). He's big and fast, but he's really rough around the edges right now. Has a bunch of upside, but all he is right now is an athlete. Joe and Foreman are both better IMO. Porter could develop into a great receiver, but right now he's just big and fast with little understanding of how to play receiver.

You put him with a great teacher and he will only get better. He has the size and speed combo those other guys will NEVER have.

Yeah, he is the exact "3 star" recruit with tremendous upside that Strong professes to want to develop and that Koenning is supposed to be an expert at developing but Koenning cannot make it to the first visit so Chambers can tag along???

So Porter is the best of the WRs and he has previously stated that he wants to stick with UT if UT really wants him and Strong cares enough about the guy to make him a priority visit but he fumbles the ball by not arriving with his new position coach on a guy that apparently feels his position coach is very important and its somehow the recruit's fault for wanting to be the "One"???? Got it.

I understand what you're saying, but the way I look at it, if the kid is such a prima donna that he's upset because Strong didn't bring Watson....he's not going to be a good fit. Those kids that want us to PROVE to them how much we want them are full of themselves.

It's better to lose them now than have them come and not be happy. I think most of these kids are starting to get a pretty good feel for what's going to be expected of them if they want to play for Charlie Strong. If they're not on board 100%...then good luck to them playing for someone else.

Yeah, let's look forward to playing against this huge upside guy against TCU for the next 4 years.

I'd rate Foreman and Porter as neck and neck, with Joe a few notches down.

I'd rather have him than play against him, at the very least.

I understand what you're saying, but the way I look at it, if the kid is such a prima donna that he's upset because Strong didn't bring Watson....he's not going to be a good fit. Those kids that want us to PROVE to them how much we want them are full of themselves.

Let's not speculate on what happened behind closed doors. We don't know what was said or what the kid's thinking is. He's not one known for being in love with himself.

The recruit is about to make one of the biggest decisions of his life. He wants to feel like UT really wants him after the coaching change. But his position coach Koenning cannot find the time to make the first meeting??? And that makes the kid a prima donna???

Not something I can answer. If what you say is true, it's a bonehead move, IMO. Porter is special.

According to other sites, Strong & Chambers met with him this morning as did TCU. I think CS assigned coaches geographically to touch-base with recruits initially across the state to effectively get in front of as many recruits as they could. Chambers recruited the Dallas area while at Texas (he was a high school coach in Dallas for years) so that is why he accompanied CS there today, I would guess.

Later in the day Strong & Chambers secured the commitment of 4* safety/LB Edwin Freeman from Arlington Bowie. Edwin was rumored to be a strong A&M lean.

Coach Wyatt was able to get him to flip initially as I'm sure his departure played a lot more in going back to TCU than not meeting Les today. We were able to secure Edwin Freeman today without him meeting his position coach. Obviously one kid wanted to play for CS and what his vision is and the other felt more comfortable going back to where his heart was initially.

Edited by JKW-Hook 'em

According to other sites' date=' Strong & Chambers met with him this morning as did TCU. I think CS assigned coaches geographically to touch-base with recruits initially across the state. Chambers has worked the Dallas area while at Texas so that is why he accompanied CS there today. Later in the day Strong & Chambers secured the commitment of 4* safety/LB Edwin Freeman from Arlington Bowie. Edwin was rumored to be a strong A&M lean.

Coach Wyatt was able to get him to flip initially as I'm sure his departure played a lot more in going back to TCU than not meeting Les today. We were able to secure Edwin Freeman today without him meeting his position coach. Obviously one kid wanted to play for CS and what his vision is and the other felt more comfortable going back to where his heart was initially.[/quote']

Edwin Freeman is a defense recruit who wants to play for a CS defense. Porter is a offense recruit who is probably not sure about the offense that UT will be running, who has lost the guy who recruited him to UT and who has never met his new position coach and neither OC or the position coach can make it to the first meeting???

Edwin Freeman is a defense recruit who wants to play for a CS defense. Porter is a offense recruit who is probably not sure about the offense that UT will be running, who has lost the guy who recruited him to UT and who has never met his new position coach and neither OC or the position coach can make it to the first meeting???

So he re-committed to TCU because of their high-octane offense and what they actually showed last year? I'm not sure that is a better choice than believing what your head coach is telling you to your face about the offense he is going to run and what it is going to look like. If he was going to OSU or Baylor I would buy your argument...but not going to TCU. Just to be fair, Freeman did not meet his DC or position coach either and yet had no problem committing to Texas over A&M and TCU.

So he re-committed to TCU because of their high-octane offense and what they actually showed last year? I'm not sure that is a better choice than believing what your head coach is telling you to your face about the offense he is going to run and what it is going to look like. If he was going to OSU or Baylor I would buy your argument...but not going to TCU. Just to be fair' date=' Freeman did not meet his DC or position coach either and yet had no problem committing to Texas over A&M and TCU.[/quote']

That's not what he said and no one that I know of has reported that he chose TCU for the reasons you laid down. It might have something to do with Patterson being a pretty dandy recruiter and the fact that TCU is very close to home for Porter.

Freeman met a man who made his name with defense. I'm surprised to hear he didn't wet himself when they met.

Losing Porter is a big loss even if we had 10 WRs in this class. No matter how its spun or why he changed his mind its not good. The "were gonna lose a few" excuse or "we have five others" or "he wasn't tough enough for the scorched earth mentality" are silly.

I agree. This kid was one of our most important offensive recruits. It is kind of funny that the 3,4 and 5 star statements only fit when it works for us. If anyone has seen this kid play a game or kept up with him through last season, they would understand how big of a loss he is. He is everything that the staff was hoping that Jake Oliver would be when he signed with us last year. Only Porter is taller,faster and more able to beat press coverage than Jake is. Sucks that we will have to play him each year. I wish he would have went to the PAC or SEC.

The recruit is about to make one of the biggest decisions of his life. He wants to feel like UT really wants him after the coaching change. But his position coach Koenning cannot find the time to make the first meeting??? And that makes the kid a prima donna???

If he doesn't want to play for the University of Texas...let him go. The original post said he had his panties in a wad cause Strong went to see him but didn't bring Watson or Koenig??? I have no idea if this is true or not. If true, and that's his reason for the de-commit...I say...let him go. We've had more than our fair share of the guys that think the team can't along without them.

Again...I don't know if that's his character or not. I'm responding to what was characterized in a post.

I know recruiting rankings are not always accurate, but almost everything I've seen has Joe and Foreman ranked above Porter. Again, I think Porter has a bunch of upside and would have loved to keep him. But I tend to agree with the rankings from what I've seen on game film. Porter has upside, but right now Joe and Foreman are better all around receivers. Porter is big and fast, but he's got a lot of learning to do.

I don't think this is over yet either. Porter can't be that strong of a commit. Who does TCU have at QB that get him the ball?

It might be if CS gets the impression a recruit committed to Texas because they liked the culture that was presented to them and he knows his culture is 180 degrees opposite' date=' he probably is honest with them so they can decide if what he is selling is something they want to be part of. I suspect if recruits de-commit because of this, both parties are happy.[/quote']

I think the amount of high school kids that commit to Texas because of the country club atmosphere would be real close to zero. At the high school stage most of these kids think they can get to the NFL. For most of their lives they have been the best player on the team. It is when they get on campus and find that all of the kids on UT's team were at one time the best player on their team that shock sets in. In the past that is when the kid could choose to work harder or go through the motions and keep his scholarship.

Edited by steveh9801

It's a process. Let it play out. TCU has probably been in his ear since brown resigned. They are selling a change to air raid.

It is no accident that Patterson just hired Doug Meacham the OC from UH. Patterson understands how to create clarity about his offensive direction. CS may have clarity in his own mind but his offense hires do not clarify anything. Spin it any way you want but it was a bust not to have Watson, Wickline or Koenning at the Porter meeting today.

It is no accident that Patterson just hired Doug Meacham the OC from UH. Patterson understands how to create clarity about his offensive direction. CS may have clarity in his own mind but his offense hires do not clarify anything. Spin it any way you want but it was a bust not to have Watson, Wickline or Koenning at the Porter meeting today.

I hope for Porter's sake he did not investigate Meacham's offensive output at the end of the year for Houston.

Scored 14 vs UCF, 13 vs Louisville, 17 vs Cincinnati and went scoreless in 3 out of 4 quarters against Vanderbilt in a 41-24 bowl loss while converting 1 of 17 3rd down attempts and a national ranking of 64.

I'm not trying to spin anything other than it is being implied be several that Porter flipped his commitment because of the offensive staff CS has put together that makes it unclear of the kind of offense he will be running and that his position coach was not at the meeting today. That is fair to say but you then have to use the same comparison in why he chose TCU and I'm merely stating that their (TCU) offense that we all witnessed was pedestrian at best. Based off of Houston's offense against decent teams at the end of the year, I'm not sure how much clarity Meacham would give me as a recruit.

Edited by JKW-Hook 'em