Find results in...

Recruiting Updates

HornEsch

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DL depth chart is messy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With the Teuhemas decommitting I'd offer Jarrell Owens, formerly of TCU, currently of Ok. St. as a DE. Do it. Big athlete, moves well.</p>— EricInsideTexas (@EricNahlin) <a href="

">February 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Or Baylor commit Xavier Jones. Baylor has plenty of DE's committed anyway. Do it. <a href="http://t.co/q83iAVVNge">http://t.co/q83iAVVNge</a></p>— EricInsideTexas (@EricNahlin) <a href="

Edited by Juan Grande

Wasn't a comment about them taking money from the SEC..the sec is money..it's the potential for money for kids, especially w the amount of players LSU sends to the league..don't go making assumptions, if you wanted to know what I meant all you had to do is ask...

Edited by Davharjac

I haven't followed all the names in the 14 and 15 class until now, so I didn't know who the brothers were. An old ESPN article came up in an internet search. In that article, they were really close to committing to LSU back then. It's not so far-fetched that they would do so now, if they were that close back then.

To me, the younger brother had the potential to be a beast. He's raw but if you watch some film you will see some exciting things. He is one of the type players you would hope Wickline could mold.

So, one key loss, one not as bad loss IMO

Here is Sione ....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aLDYA3EdgY8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, film here of Maea in the class of 2015 http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/748675/highlights/109541380

Edited by Juan Grande

Wasn't a comment about them taking money from the SEC..the sec is money..it's the potential for money for kids, especially w the amount of players LSU sends to the league..don't go making assumptions, if you wanted to know what I meant all you has to do is ask...

I misinterpreted my apologies

Here is what Scott says ....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hurts to lose edge-rushing presence of Sione Teuhema for Texas, bigger loss is definitely road-grading younger bro Maea. Incredible punch.</p>— Wescott Eberts (@SBN_Wescott) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Senior film for Sione Teuhema extremely impressive. Made move to OLB, really showed off range, closing speed vs run and the pass.</p>— Wescott Eberts (@SBN_Wescott) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Also may not be long before Texas doesn't have a 2015 OL class. Connor Lanfear wavering, Patrick Vahe connected to the Teuhem bros.</p>— Wescott Eberts (@SBN_Wescott) <a href="

Edited by Juan Grande

Recruiting is falling apart and negative momentum surround our program from a recruiting standpoint. This IS a BIG deal.

Ridiculous. The fact of the matter is that we hired an entirely new coaching staff that has nearly zero ties to anyone in the current recruiting class. This really is no surprise - recruiting is about relationships, and Texas decided to hire a coach who wasn't recruiting Texas. Very few kids base their decision on the school anymore - its mostly about the assistants and recruiters.

Strong has a year to build a 2015 class. If he fails there - then some of the chicken-little happening now might be warranted. But that's still a year away.

Article on the decommit http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/texas/post/_/id/21426/teuhema-brothers-decommit-from-texas

According to the source, academic support was the biggest reason why the Teuhemas decided they won't end up at Texas. LSU coaches impressed the Teuhema family this weekend by stressing academics throughout their visit, and by the end of the weekend the family was ready for a change of plans.

Because the brothers plan to play together in college, Maea is expected to shut down his recruitment completely once Sione signs this week.

Following the Teuhemas' decision, Texas has now lost of a total of 10 verbal commitments for the classes of 2014, 2015 and 2016 since Brown's departure. Aaron Garza (Sherman, Texas/Sherman), a lineman in the 2015 class, also reopened his recruitment this week.

Texas still has pledges from two defensive linemen in ESPN 300 end Derick Roberson (San Antonio/Brennan) and tackle Jake McMillon (Abilene, Texas/Abilene) and is a finalist for two more making signing-day decisions: ESPN 300 prospect Poona Ford (Hilton Head, S.C./Hilton Head) and three-star Chris Nelson (Lakeland, Fla./Victory Christian Academy).

I don't believe that for a second. Although, I appreciate the link.

My Uncle is incredibly proud to be an LSU Tiger and he's as big of a fan as they come. But even he would straight up tell you that the Academics at LSU aren't exactly mind-blowing. And with Coach Strong making such a huge point about athletes being just as successful in the class room as they are on the field, this smells like an excuse to me. If you want to leave, leave. Nobody can say anything about you for doing what you feel is best. But don't fabricate some nonsense to excuse your decision.

Recruiting is the most over reacted to thing evar. If those guys wanted lsu then good for them. We'll replace them. No big deal

Funny thing, when Texas is top 5 in recruiting, its awesome and Texas is the place to be and when we suck (in 2014 class we do suck) it's not important. Every coach will tell you, recruiting matters a lot, not necessarily rankings. The 2brothers we lost today are very good, Harvey, Springs, etc we tried to recruit but didn't get are very good.

We are Longhorn fan, like fans of other schools, we are bias towards our school. Fact is Texas isn't the best place to be right now. aggie, LSU, Bama, etc are. Texas can change this with 1 thing, win on the field. Aggie changed its perception by beating Bama, winning 11games and winning heisman in 2012. Truth does not equal perception. Perception is often times more important.

That is complete BS on academics. Texas has one of the best support systems out there. Heck, it was Royal at Texas that was the first one to implement such a formal support system if I recall correctly.

I think that the word "academics" is subject to more than one meaning.

What it means to this family in this instance is probably different than what it means to you and me.

Edited by Juan Grande
grammar

If you seek solace with a little schadenfreude, I can offer this --

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lake Travis RB Shaun Nixon says he’s committed to TCU. Frogs flip a Texas A&M commit. <a href="http://t.co/RhOETZmqbq">http://t.co/RhOETZmqbq</a></p>— Max Olson (@max_olson) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>How big of a get is Varshaun Nixon for TCU? Highest-rated commit for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GoFrogs&src=hash">#GoFrogs</a> now, only RB in 2014 class.</p>— Wescott Eberts (@SBN_Wescott) <a href="

Yes, Coutee decommitted: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/charlie-strong-loses-another-one-4-star-lufkin-wr-keke-coutee-decommits-from-texas.html/.

A couple of thoughts:

1. With the need for DL, I agree that ya'll should make a run at Jarrell Owens, but there is a sleeper out there with very little pub in Northwestern commit Xavier Washington.

2. I expect Coutee will play out the process a little bit, but ultimately recommit.

3. Alot of these decommits aren't a big deal, only a couple are truly good/ great players if you are honest with yourself.

4. Losing Garza for 2015 is a good thing, now you need to find a way to get rid of Campbell and English, only negative so far in 2015 will be restarting with OL recruiting (Wickline gets a fresh slate) once Lanfear officially is gone.