Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are we 100% sure Strong is done filing his staff?

buice77

My opinion is y'all keep saying only 9 assistants on the field true but how many are in the press box during the game 3-4. I think he was getting his position coaches first and now he's working on the OC. I haven't heard anything about Texas getting a OC. I have the LHN nothing and when other teams get a OC or DC ESPN would post it but nothing on Texas. So if you're 100% let me know.

No one is 100%. The only people saying an OC has been named or is already on staff are the far from infallible football "insiders". Nothing from anyone at UT has confirmed or spoken about a OC or appointing one from someone already on staff.

The only 100% hires we have on the offensive side of the ball are Wickline and Robinson. Koenning is not official yet. Watson and Chambers are in the UT directory and on staff in some capacity that is not yet entirely defined. However, if Watson stays there's no way he would be in an off-the-field capacity, so you can count him towards the total # of assistants.

------HC---------

Charlie Strong

----OFFENSE----

Tommie Robinson (RB)

Joe Wickline

Shawn Watson [if retained]

---DEFENSE----

Vance Bedford (DC)

Chris Vaughn (DB)

Brian Jean-Mary (LB)

Chris Rumph (DL)

That totals 8 confirmed of a total of 10 allowed (including HC). That's it. Chambers is the only one we know is at UT in some capacity, but may take an off-the-field position.

Edited by derpyhorndog

I think the staff is done.

HC Strong

OC/OL Wickline

QB/play caller Watson

WR Koenning

TE Chambers

DC Bedford

DL Rumph

LB Jean-Mary

DB Vaughn

And I just posted my thoughts on the staff, but I like it. Let's roll fellas.

He asked if we knew 100% the staff is done.

The list you provided is speculation, and includes information and a coach that has yet to be confirmed by anyone but subscription websites. They sell speculation. It is not done until an official announcement is made, or at the very least until the the coachs themselves, Patterson, or Strong confirm the areas where there is still uncertainty—that is, (A) the roles Watson and Wickline will have; (B) whether Chambers will hold an on the field position; © whether Koenning has been hired; and (D) whether we will pursue an OC not on staff. We do not have the official answers to those questions.

Edited by derpyhorndog

The staff is done. What Lobo posted is the coaching staff for the coming season, unless one of them gets poached by an NFL team.

Yeah, that's not true and you know it. You can say it like it's a certainly even though it's just your belief, and you could certainly be right about the composition of the staff in the end, but for the time being there are many things that haven't been confirmed and could easily change.

Yeah, that's not true and you know it. You might think that's the case and you could certainly be right about the composition in the staff at the end, but for the time being there are many things that haven't been confirmed and could easily change.

Ok. But what's done is done. The staff is done unless someone bolts to the league.

Ok. But what's done is done. The staff is done unless someone bolts to the league.

No it's not, because you're assuming two things: (A) that Chambers will hold an on-the-field position (TE); and (B) Koenning has been hired. Neither has been confirmed, and the only thing we have had confirmed is that Chambers will be on staff in some capacity. If Chambers were to take an off-the-field position then it creates an opening (for an OC?), and obviously the same goes if Koenning is not hired.

Why is he leaving MSU where he is OC to come here and be WR coach?

He played WR for UT back in the day and his father is a legend in the realm of HS football here in Texas. Mullen and his staff's time at MSU may be coming to an end soon, and many speculate he would be making the jump to a new coaching staff to have a fresh start and at the very least a few more years of job security. He would also be returning to his home state and alma mater.

Thanks for the input but still not sure if he's done yet. But I know when I watch a game there is at least 9 on the field and coaches in the press box.

Correct. There are at most 9 assistants on the field during any given game, and then the head coach—so a total of 10 max. There are other coaches in the press box that wouldn't count towards that number.

I'm with you as I'm not sure he's done yet either. If he were, it would be announced. Simple as that.

You keep making declarative statements like it's officially confirmed fact. Can you please provide me with the source of this announcement or confirmation from UT or one of its employees?

So, what you're saying is "because I said so" isn't good enough for you?

So, what you're saying is "because I said so" isn't good enough for you?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying—and before you possibly try and spin it like I'm somehow saying I'm correct "because I said so," let me point out that I'm simply pointing out that there's nothing to back what you're claiming.

The fact that there isn't anything to support your conclusions is what makes them incorrect (at this time), not anything I've said.

Why is he leaving MSU where he is OC to come here and be WR coach?

Good question. Maybe he wants to come home?

I think that a better explanation is that he likes what he sees of what Strong is putting together and wants to be a part of it. I still think we have one more hire, the OC, that he may be from the NFL (which would explain the delays - maybe he is in the playoffs?). And that Les knows who it is and this is why he agreed to take a lower position on the totem pole. Which would also allow him to come home to Texas.