Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And so it begins...yet without an OC

KellyUT4Ever

2 things I have seen repeated on message boards since last night

1) UT will struggle in recruiting

2) UT will suck on offense (obviously completely forgetting the Wickline hire and what a good to great O-line will do for a team)

Neither one of those is remotely facts. UT is getting the culture change soooooo many wanted, and yet the crying has already started on this coach/staff before they even hit the ground

no body knows if we will be good or not. you cant say those arent facts and that person cant say we will suck on O.

What we can do is discuss intelligently both the positives and the negatives that we, individually, see as of today.

If you have something positive to say, back it up with facts. If you have something negative to say, back it up with facts.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

On the pro coaching front - Mike Zimmer was hired as Vikes head coach.

and Miami Dolphins have hired Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor as their new OC.

So, it is possible Kyle S. is in play.

Edited by Juan Grande

2 things I have seen repeated on message boards since last night

1) UT will struggle in recruiting

2) UT will suck on offense (obviously completely forgetting the Wickline hire and what a good to great O-line will do for a team)

Neither one of those is remotely facts. UT is getting the culture change soooooo many wanted, and yet the crying has already started on this coach/staff before they even hit the ground

I believe (1) is simply false, and (2) is just an exaggeration:

(1) The staff Strong assembled so far has to be one of the most seasoned groups, recruiting wise, of any in the country. I want to say 3-4 of the coaches have been recruiting coordinators at some point in their careers, and as a collective they have tons of experience. People have always said that UT recruits itself. Are those the same people making this complaint? I believe this belief is the case when UT is doing well on the field, and if this staff can accomplish that, then the combination of UT "recruiting itself" along with their recruiting-heavy backgrounds should show the true recruiting potential this program has. They were hired to win football games. If they do that, the rest will work itself out.

(2) A great O-line will do wonders for the team. I personally hope Wickline stays only the OL coach so he can focus on doing what he does best and not spread himself too thin. I don't believe we will suck on offense, but I think the hires cap our potential and we will be above-average/good, but not great. This is a mute point because if Strong installs a defense half as effective as this conference as it was at UL, then we don't need a high flying offense. That's why even if the offense isn't what everyone dreamed it would be, it should still be good enough.

Edited by derpyhorndog

Today's the day-recruiting begins. You have no ties to Texas, and Sumlin and Briles are all over you. What does this offensive staff have to offer you that tells you this is the best offense for you? I don't see it. Good luck selling this to the recruits.

I would walk in and say have you heard of Heisman contender Teddy Bridgewater, top 5 NFL prospect, probably 1st QB in the draft? Ever hear of these All-Americans, who played for Texas, Vince Young and COLT McCoy (positions specific players)?

That's how I would start, maybe show some clips on my iPad of Teddy torching a top 5 defense in Florida at the BCS Sugar Bowl. Ask if they want to jump on the band wagon and become a Texas legend...

I would walk in and say have you heard of Heisman contender Teddy Bridgewater, top 5 NFL prospect, probably 1st QB in the draft? Ever hear of these All-Americans, who played for Texas, Vince Young and COLT McCoy (positions specific players)?

That's how I would start, maybe show some clips on my iPad of Teddy torching a top 5 defense in Florida at the BCS Sugar Bowl. Ask if they want to jump on the band wagon and become a Texas legend...

Thats not bad. But Bu will do the same thing with RG3 and Aggie with Johnny. It needs to be more than that.

No its not facts

Several of the coaches have Texas ties including the new WR coach, and the OL coach has recruited Texas for years

The rest of it is your opinion, don't try and sell it as fact, its not

Now go jump off a cliff or pull for another team

What a pleasant response. I'm not looking for another team, but thank you. Make it a good day

"Okay coach, Teddy B. is great and all, but he didn't play at Texas and aside from Florida, most of his best numbers came against weak opponents. Aside from a sample size of one game, how do I know that if a similar system was in place at UT it would allow me the same success as Teddy? By the way, what is the offensive system at UT? Coach Watson, I know you'd be my QB coach if I were there, but who's the OC? Who will be calling plays? Oh! I almost forgot to ask, are you even going to be at UT this season? There's rumors that you might be going to the NFL, and boy those message boards sure do hate you. What do you have to say about those things?

As for VY and Colt, they're awesome, but VY was almost a decade ago and Colt was five years now. They were products of the same offensive system, and all of the same staff that allowed them to have success is long gone. Also, my history teacher always says 'past performance does not guarantee future results.' Coach, I've also followed UT closely since Colt left, and I notice you didn't mention Garret Gilbert or Case McCoy. How are you going to ensure I'm a VY/Colt and not a Gilbert/Case? Coach Briles over at Baylor has had the same offensive coordinator following him for 15 years, and guaranteed me a well-established and stable offense that has shown to be dominant in this conference. Everyone tells me Briles is supposed to be the best QB talent evaluator in the NCAA and can develop me like he did RG3. Sumlin keeps talking in my ear about the system he has in place at A&M, and they're in the SECSECSEC. He says he can make me the next Johny Football and showcase me in the best conference in college football. No offense, but Baylor and A&M both have quarterbacks that have won the Heisman in the last 3 years, whereas Colt and VY never did that, and that was ages ago for a kid my age. I'm concerned UT isn't in the same place as a program as it was back then and isn't the best option for my future at this time. What can you guarantee me and do for me that these other coaches can't?"

How about that conversation. And for those of you that think that would be an unrealistic conversation with a recruit, maybe so, but I can guarantee you coaches of other schools are hammering those points home about us every chance they get. They're in the recruits mind even if he doesn't voice them.

Today's the day-recruiting begins. You have no ties to Texas, and Sumlin and Briles are all over you. What does this offensive staff have to offer you that tells you this is the best offense for you? I don't see it. Good luck selling this to the recruits.

It's nice to know that your copy and paste ability is still working.

http://www.hornsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5537&p=66331#post66331

http://www.hornsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5536&page=3&p=66324#post66324

Say it a few more times. It must be true if RandomGuy17542 on the internet is saying it.

Seriously? This again? What you are reporting is your opinion, not a fact. For starters, there has been no formal announcement on the coaching staff. We only know what we are hearing through the insider sites. Given that we know that Texas will likely have Co-OC's in Wickline and Watson. That likely means Texas runs a hybrid of the OSU/Louisville offense. I don't think you will have any trouble selling that to recruits, especially given the defense that the Horns should roll out each week.

Seriously? This again? What you are reporting is your opinion, not a fact. For starters, there has been no formal announcement on the coaching staff. We only know what we are hearing through the insider sites. Given that we know that Texas will likely have Co-OC's in Wickline and Watson. That likely means Texas runs a hybrid of the OSU/Louisville offense. I don't think you will have any trouble selling that to recruits, especially given the defense that the Horns should roll out each week.

Agree on the first point—we don't know anything official and the talking heads have been wrong about everything recently.

Second point I don't agree with—just telling a recruit that we will have some hybrid of the OSU/UL offense isn't going to cut it. That's not an identity, and not knowing your OC is an issue. Other schools can sell the success on the offensive side of the ball they have had with the system and coaches they have had in place for years, and attack the uncertainty any recruit will be entering if they decide to come here. They can sell recent Heisman winners and great QBs and WRs they sent to the NFL. I have no doubt we shouldn't have an issue with defensive recruits, but skill position players that are looking to make it to the NFL doesn't necessarily care about how good the defense is going to be. They want to be in an offensive system they can excel in, use to showcase themselves, and put up gaudy numbers that will get them noticed at the next level. An amazing defense with a subpar offense is not the best formula to land top-notch offensive players.

Thats not bad. But Bu will do the same thing with RG3 and Aggie with Johnny. It needs to be more than that.

You walk in and tell the WR recruits that you will NOT be catching balls (or trying to catch) from Case McCoy. You tell the OL recruits that they will be learning from Wickline and you tell the RB recruits they will be running behind a line taught by Wickline

Chip Brown

“Wickline is telling friends he’s the OC.”

on YNN Sports

Unclear whether this is a Major type of deal (Co-OC = title only) or whether he will actually be calling plays.

Edited by Juan Grande

Agree on the first point—we don't know anything official and the talking heads have been wrong about everything recently.

Second point I don't agree with—just telling a recruit that we will have some hybrid of the OSU/UL offense isn't going to cut it. That's not an identity, and not knowing your OC is an issue. Other schools can sell the success on the offensive side of the ball they have had with the system and coaches they have had in place for years, and attack the uncertainty any recruit will be entering if they decide to come here. They can sell recent Heisman winners and great QBs and WRs they sent to the NFL. I have no doubt we shouldn't have an issue with defensive recruits, but skill position players that are looking to make it to the NFL doesn't necessarily care about how good the defense is going to be. They want to be in an offensive system they can excel in, use to showcase themselves, and put up gaudy numbers that will get them noticed at the next level. An amazing defense with a subpar offense is not the best formula to land top-notch offensive players.

How does Alabama get great recruits?

I sure as hell ain't their offense - it's winning that counts. It's not like we're running the wishbone.