Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My personal issue with Watson

nothed

Everyone has seen the video or pic of him saying something to Colt after the 2009 Big 12 Championship. For me, that is absolutely unacceptable whether it was heat of the moment or not. I can't believe that Texas would want to hire someone that.

Anyone else feel that way?

I have to say that I am way on the other side of this...I really don't care...would you not want a coach he did the Horns down sign? Not the same, but either way no big deal. It was the Heat of the Moment, and truth be told he probably HATED UT at that time, everyone did..in the Big 12 that is, and he should have hated Texas, why not, he was at Nebraska..There is emotion on the field, that can be forgiven, but bringing emotion into a hire about an action that occurred many years ago seems silly to me. It's just as silly to me as when folks were saying that didn't want Art bc of were he voted Texas..meh..

Would you like to be judged for the rest of your life for a single moment your life that you maybe did not act your best. Especially in a moment of passion.

My guess is most people have had plenty of times in their life that they would not like to be singled out for the rest of time.

I don't like Watson because he to me is an average OC...We could do better.-Everybody loved Greg Davis when UT won the National Championship averaging over 50 points a game. Then he became a boo target...Watson beat a 3-9 team in 2013 Memphis 20-13..7 of the teams he beat had losing records.(most were lucky to win 3 games,) Respect Charlie Strong=feel our defense will be very strong...Saying everyone should respect CS hirings doesn't flow...How many are raising their hands on Chambers. I have been a UT fan for over 40 years. Want them to win in the worst way. But feel everyone on this board has the right to their opinion. We all get carried away a times. .

People act as if Barry Switzer would be loved as HC and Johnny Manziel hailed as OC because of our shared values and common desire to take Texas back prominence.

If people have shown a lack of shared values and a hatred for what UT represents, we have every right to ask how they have changed before we believe they are anything other than mercinaries who just want our money and will abandon the program as soon as someone else offers $1 more.

Personally. I have a serious problem embracing those who have shown hatred for UT outside a healthy competitive relationship.

Watson doesn't seem to have shared values with UT. If he is hired, we owe him no more loyalty than he has ever shown us, that being none, whatsoever. If he's here for the money, we kick him to the curb the minute he fails to deliver. And we shown him Horns down as he walks out the door. Its all business to some people. That's fine with me.

Edited by Randolph Duke

Everyone has seen the video or pic of him saying something to Colt after the 2009 Big 12 Championship. For me, that is absolutely unacceptable whether it was heat of the moment or not. I can't believe that Texas would want to hire someone that.

By this logic, whatever you did to someone in elementary or middle school should be grounds for you not succeeding in life right now.

Hiring a new football coach has made me see a different side of our fanbase--and it's not pretty.

By this logic, whatever you did to someone in elementary or middle school should be grounds for you not succeeding in life right now.

Hiring a new football coach has made me see a different side of our fanbase--and it's not pretty.

I'm trying to keep an open mind with Watson. That being said, it's not like he gave Colt a weggie in 5th grade. The picture is pretty incriminating.

Your comparison makes no sense. I'm not talking about a kid. I'm talking about a grown man talking trash to a student athlete. He got in his face and said something. I don't understand where you are getting the success portion from. I said I had a personal issue with him because of it.

I mean honestly, Watson is the one who prob feels like an ass. After dissing UT, he now relies on them to pay his bills. Kinda funny if you ask me.

I don't remember Watson doing anything to Colt. I can't find a video or picture of it either. Does anyone have it just for entertainment?

Well. I think it is worth a conversation. Let's ask him what he said and why. He was part of a staff and culture at Nebraska that didn't exactly ooze class. I'm sure he'll have to make the circuit at some point. Let's see how he handles it. How he responds will tell you more about him as a coach and person than anything else. Regardless, if we don't improve greatly on O his seat will be hot along with the HC. As it should.

I don't mind my coaches being passionate, in fact we needed a little more of that, but we are not in need of a coach who trash talks opposing players.

Nothed

Yes I feel the same as you. Very strongly..

The rest of you guys don't get it. This is a coach, mind you out on the field talking trash to one of our best players in the last few years..a coach and the game wasn't over yet. Absolute BS

Would you believe Mack Brown doing that? How about Coach K at Duke? On the field or court verbally abusing an opposing player.

No respectable coach in a position of responsibility would or should do that. An adult verbally abusing a young college student.

How do you clean up collegiate athletics with an opposing coach talking trash? Now that is sportsmanship? Ygbsm.

Coaches are supposed to teach, set the example both on and off the field. Accountability is one of the areas that CS is trying to bring. I'm glad he is.....well overdue. Now how about the coaches? Watson doesn't measure up here. He can't erase what the didi. anyone can go to YouTube and watch the game. There it is in living color. Unforgivable.

Oh by the way....with 30 plus years in the military, I know what verbal abuse is. I've seen too much and will not condone it, especially from a coach that we trust to teach our young men the values of life that will go with for the rest of their lives.

Oh by the way, his style of offense in the Big XIi won't cut it. Many on this and other boards have said it. No reason to belabor the point.

Now this old man will shut up...anybody want to talk more PM me..

Botched....bring it anytime. I will support you

Well. I think it is worth a conversation. Let's ask him what he said and why. He was part of a staff and culture at Nebraska that didn't exactly ooze class. I'm sure he'll have to make the circuit at some point. Let's see how he handles it. How he responds will tell you more about him as a coach and person than anything else. Regardless, if we don't improve greatly on O his seat will be hot along with the HC. As it should.

I don't mind my coaches being passionate, in fact we needed a little more of that, but we are not in need of a coach who trash talks opposing players.

Growler...

Good points. Sorry I didn't see your post, i was trying to write out mine. Hate the iPad autocorrector.

You're right. He will have to make the rounds, and you know someone will call him out and ask for an explanation.. I'd like to be there when/if he does

As a minimum he owes the university and Colt an apology. Right now. Really yesterday. Just think the next time Colt McCoy walks into the football offices or locker room at UT and Watson is there? I'd like to be a fly on the wall when that happens?

Thanks for the post

That was probably the most reasonable analogy that I have seen on this topic. You all make good points, but I guess that one hit closest to home for me.

I don't have to "like" him, but I guess I should at least give him a chance.

Brother, if he is going to be on the 40 acres, he will run into Colt at some point. Let's have the two of them sort it out

This board has not exactly "oozed" class the last 6 weeks, but somehow we are beyond criticism?