• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Change is coming...

fakepunt

Scipio: Culture Change at Texas

Wow... this is freaking awesome!

Part of the article:

If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.

Players should be punished for not staying on top of their academics. I'm sure even under Mack that was true, maybe not for just missing 1 class, tho.

What stood out out to me was:

5. Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.

6. The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.

This will pay off big time, IMO. Especially in the summer when the coaches can't actively oversee these kids lives. Gone are the days when Colt has to go pick up a bunch of teammates and drive them to practice.

Good stuff, remember how in favor of this culture change right now, because after the spring, maybe during off season work outs, guys are going to leave the program. It may suck to see some leave, but it will help in the long run. This program is going to be positively effected by all of these moves.

From the article, "Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm."

I'm curious, does anyone know how this would work without violating NCAA rules? I would assume that taking over debts is seen the same as paying players.

From the article, "Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm."

I'm curious, does anyone know how this would work without violating NCAA rules? I would assume that taking over debts is seen the same as paying players.

Housing is paid for by the school, which would be sanctioned by the NCAA. It's the school's debt to pay.

Ennis is a Louisville guy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Ian_A_Boyd">@Ian_A_Boyd</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/BarkingCarnival">@BarkingCarnival</a> I recall the players freaking out when he arrived bc he would randomly show up in classes.</p>— Mark Ennis (@Mengus22) <a href="

">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Article is great! Sounds like life in the old days when we all had to live on campus, unless lived at home. No cars for Freshmen either! Kids are really going to have to wake up and get with CS program if they want to play football at Texas! It is an honor to play at Texas and it should be this way! Hope we don't lose a lot of players, but we will gain some that really want to be here and will work for it whatever it takes.

I'm sure the "living on campus" will be hard at first, but in the end they will all make closer and life long friends by being together more and not so many cliques. I love how much he stresses academics as I'm sure a lot of players that either don't make NFL or end up out after a few years need a "real job" and their UT degree will really be good for them to have.

Think we have a really good one in Charlie Strong!

Big Earl is on twitter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Congratulations to Mr. Charlie Strong our new head football coach at the University of Texas. I wish you all... <a href="http://t.co/tJxOutdh2i">http://t.co/tJxOutdh2i</a></p>— Earl Campbell (@EarlCCampbell) <a href="

">January 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 1 month later...