Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Last Ditch Hope Re: Morris

TMTycoon

If it's true that he's debating between the HC job at Vandy or the OC position at Texas I can only hope he looks to his future and is not desperate to move up now. He's got to decide whether he wants a dead end gig as HC at a school that has been historically incompetent as the Cleveland Browns, or come to the University of Texas where he can springboard to say a USC or a Florida HC gig in three years because helped lead Texas to a Natty.

If it's true that he's debating between the HC job at Vandy or the OC position at Texas I can only hope he looks to his future and is not desperate to move up now. He's got to decide whether he wants a dead end gig as HC at a school that has been historically incompetent as the Cleveland Browns, or come to the University of Texas where he can springboard to say a USC or a Florida HC gig in three years because helped lead Texas to a Natty.

Sorry guys, I love Texas, but $4M+ to HC Vandy is a no-brainer. It's a school with a bit of momentum where you'll be seen as a miracle worker when you win, and you'll be completely excused if you lose as long as you run a clean program.

Going to Texas for less than half the money and pinning your future on the success of a program just beginning to rebuild is a tough sell.

If he's got a Vandy offer, we're dead in the water.

Sorry guys, I love Texas, but $4M+ to HC Vandy is a no-brainer. It's a school with a bit of momentum where you'll be seen as a miracle worker when you win, and you'll be completely excused if you lose as long as you run a clean program.

Going to Texas for less than half the money and pinning your future on the success of a program just beginning to rebuild is a tough sell.

Conversly, if he gets passed up yet again for a middle-tier offer (Texas Tech, Vandy), perhaps he has more incentive to leave his current gig so that he can "prove" himself, ala Malzahn to Arky State.

I think this is right, but with a caveat. Vandy is a great school no doubt, and if you are successful, you will move up to a better gig in reasonably short order. The problem is that being successful at Vanderbilt is no sure thing. Pretty easy to be middle of the pack in the SEC even with a good team, so being successful (and getting noticed like Franklin did) is the risk.

Or you can move to Texas, make less money for a couple of years, but there's a much higher likelihood of being successful (as an OC in an offense that needs rejuvenation as opposed to being a head coach in the SEC). this is really a bit of a gordian knot. now, compound that choice with the intangible side of things (they're from here) and maybe things don't get quite so clear cut.

I think this is right, but with a caveat. Vandy is a great school no doubt, and if you are successful, you will move up to a better gig in reasonably short order. The problem is that being successful at Vanderbilt is no sure thing. Pretty easy to be middle of the pack in the SEC even with a good team, so being successful (and getting noticed like Franklin did) is the risk.

Or you can move to Texas, make less money for a couple of years, but there's a much higher likelihood of being successful (as an OC in an offense that needs rejuvenation as opposed to being a head coach in the SEC). this is really a bit of a gordian knot. now, compound that choice with the intangible side of things (they're from here) and maybe things don't get quite so clear cut.

This is what I'm getting at slim. No one to date has brought Vandy a title, at least in a 100 years. The uphill battle is still there. Yes, Franklin left that program in great shape but is it something you would jump on even if they threw Sabanesque $10 MM at you? If he goes to Vandy and achieves no more than what Franklin did, he'll be up for an ACC or Big East HC gig at best, imo. Maybe the B1G. He'll also look like an ass for only staying for 3-4 years then jumping ship. On top of that it's not a "flashy" school with the recruits. They don't dream about playing at Vanderbilt. They dream about going to USC, Florida, FSU, Ohio State, Texas, LSU, Bama etc. Texas gives Morris a better springboard to bigger nationally recognized programs.