Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chad Morris buyout

lahorns

5.2 mill is too much just to buy out a coordinator who could leave after 1 year.

Not if you make it a 2-3 year commitment and an even larger buy out to recover the cost should he decide to leave for any position. There are ways around all of it if you think Morris is your guy. TBH $5 mil is a drop in the bucket for Texas. The real quesiton is, who does CS want to be the OC?

Not if you make it a 2-3 year commitment and an even larger buy out to recover the cost should he decide to leave for any position. There are ways around all of it if you think Morris is your guy. TBH $5 mil is a drop in the bucket for Texas. The real quesiton is, who does CS want to be the OC?

Texas doesn't really do buyouts. And even if we were to do a buyout for Morris, we wouldn't see a dime as he'd be leaving Texas for a Head Coaching Job not another Coordinator position. Schools don't get the buyout if their Coordinator is leaving for an elevated position. Not to mention, we'd be paying a HIGHER buyout for our Offensive Coordinator than we did our Head Coach. That wouldn't look good. On top of all of that, Morris isn't going to agree to any non-compete clause if he's smart.

Texas doesn't really do buyouts. And even if we were to do a buyout for Morris, we wouldn't see a dime as he'd be leaving Texas for a Head Coaching Job not another Coordinator position. Schools don't get the buyout if their Coordinator is leaving for an elevated position. Not to mention, we'd be paying a HIGHER buyout for our Offensive Coordinator than we did our Head Coach. That wouldn't look good. On top of all of that, Morris isn't going to agree to any non-compete clause if he's smart.

The no buyout for a HC position is Morris' current deal, but you can structure these things any way you want. We could make his buyout completely unconditional so it needs to be paid regardless of why he's leaving. Realistically though, I doubt he'd agree to that. Leaving the door open to a HC job was important enough to him that he had that in his Clemson agmt and I don't see why he'd change his mind for us.

The no buyout for a HC position is Morris' current deal, but you can structure these things any way you want. We could make his buyout completely unconditional so it needs to be paid regardless of why he's leaving. Realistically though, I doubt he'd agree to that. Leaving the door open to a HC job was important enough to him that he had that in his Clemson agmt and I don't see why he'd change his mind for us.

Structuring a contract for a Coordinator in which a buyout would be demanded of a school interested in using said Coordinator as Head Coach is largely considered immoral. Neither Patterson or Strong would ever want to construct a deal like that and add a black mark to their records. Not to mention, as you said, Morris wouldn't put himself in a position like that.

no good lawyer would even try to put a non-compete clause in a coach's contract. the law governing them has completely changed in the last few years, and they must be very narrowly drawn to be enforceable.. the buyout is the answer. I am not a tax attorney, but that money could be ordinary income to him for tax purposes. I am not sure of that.

Except when it wants a coach. If Strong wants Morris badly enough, Patterson can do the contract so CM can't bolt next year or year after regardless. That is, if CM wants to be back in Texas enough that he'd go for that. I'm not jumping up and down for Morris that much (or even think he's coming) just saying where there's enough will, there's a way.

Except when it wants a coach. If Strong wants Morris badly enough, Patterson can do the contract so CM can't bolt next year or year after regardless. That is, if CM wants to be back in Texas enough that he'd go for that. I'm not jumping up and down for Morris that much (or even think he's coming) just saying where there's enough will, there's a way.

Again...Morris would be out of his mind to sign a non-compete clause. And Texas isn't going to offer him anything enticing enough to put himself in a non-compete position. All of these schools could have openings next year: Florida, Michigan, West Virginia, Kansas, Arkansas, California, Georgia Tech and Nebraska. And all of those schools would be very quick to pick up the phone and give Morris a call. I find it incredibly hard to believe that Morris would walk away from those opportunities in favor of being locked in at Texas as a Coordinator.

Well, if Texas doesnt do buyouts then the fault lies with Texas. Its a part of the game.

If Morris doenst want one, then thats a different story. Sumlin, regardless of what Aggie record will be next year, will most likely be around college station at least 2 more years.

Allow me to expand on my previous comment. Texas doesn't do buyouts that don't rule in their favor. Buying Morris without a non-compete rules against Texas. Buying Morris with a non-compete would be pulling off a miracle hire that seems as likely as Aggie winning the SEC next year.

I'm completely guessing here, but if you combine these five items:

(1) Jason Higdon ‏01/13/14

"everyone needs to be patient. Will not be much longer on the OC and I promise its worth the wait"

and

(2)Jason Higdon ‏01/13/14

"will not be today imo so rest easy. Sit back and relax my friend. Staff hits the road Thursday in full force"

and

(3) Chad Morris contract requires a 3 day notice

and

(4) Original Contract for Chad Morris was signed on 01/12/11

and

(5) Jason Higdon ‏01/14/13

"contracts are a sticky thing"

Is it possible that Chad Morris gives his 3 day notice on 01/13/14 and will be recruiting in full force on Thursday? He surely would be worth the wait.

I'm completely guessing here, but if you combine these five items:

(1) Jason Higdon ‏01/13/14

"everyone needs to be patient. Will not be much longer on the OC and I promise its worth the wait"

and

(2)Jason Higdon ‏01/13/14

"will not be today imo so rest easy. Sit back and relax my friend. Staff hits the road Thursday in full force"

and

(3) Chad Morris contract requires a 3 day notice

and

(4) Original Contract for Chad Morris was signed on 01/12/11

and

(5) Jason Higdon ‏01/14/13

"contracts are a sticky thing"

Is it possible that Chad Morris gives his 3 day notice on 01/13/14 and will be recruiting in full force on Thursday? He surely would be worth the wait.

I love your optimism, I hope your right.

i think strong's buyouy from louisville was around 5 mil as well. i doubt that texas is going to pay 10 mil in buyouts for a coaching staff.

also were morris to come on board he'd likely want to be the QB coach and OC as he is at clemson. watson is already the QB coach.

Watson is not anything yet.

yes. that's what was part of his pitch supposedly.

that being said, his promise was made in '11 well before morris got his 1.3 mil dollar salary.

Yes, but if true, that means three things:

(1) Strong loves him some Morris

and

(2) IT PROVIDES A LEGITIMATE REASON AS TO WHY WE HAVEN'T ALREADY HIRED A FREAKING OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR WHEN THE DEAD PERIOD IS ABOUT TO END

and

(3) Strong loves him some Morris

Agreed. Even if he were to stay 2 years, its still a steep price to pay for what amounts to a short term rental.

LOL. Actually, what you want in coaches are short term rentals. If nobody wants your coach, i don't think that's a good sign.

Years ago I was bitching to my Dad who was involved for a time with UT athletics about Tom Penders who was brand new at the time, and running a very exciting change of pace for what we had seen previously. and I said something like "geez, as soon as we get a decent coach, somebody tries to hire him away from us." and he said, "joe, do you realize how nice it would be for us to have a coach that somebody actually wants for a change?"

We want coaches that others want. Our advantage is that we can make the price of a raid pretty damn high. If they leave for a step up, then God bless'em, that's what life's all about. If they leave for a sideways move, then that's on us. We didn't make it painful enough.

Clemson has made it painful for Morris to move anywhere in a sideways manner. There aren't but one or two schools out there that could handle it. We're one of them. If we want him bad enough, we can do it. The question is, do we want him bad enough?

I feel our oc is already on campus and has been presented as a position coach and will soon be announced as oc/co-oc. Hope I'm wrong though.

At this point only thing that makes sense... I can see Patterson/Stong keeping things tight with no leaks but if we were raiding someone else's OC the news would have broke on that side (school).

At this point only thing that makes sense... I can see Patterson/Stong keeping things tight with no leaks but if we were raiding someone else's OC the news would have broke on that side (school).

This is possible and could be a great point. That being said, Morris is known to be a top candidate at Vanderbilt and Clemson knows they might lose him...