Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Timing

Darrell McPhaul

Obviously we are allowing our OC candidate to tie up some loose ends.

If its Shanahan, we are waiting on the Dolphins.

I believe the ship has sailed on Morris unless one of our BMD's step up and absorb the buyout.

Lincoln Riley & Groh remain as two intriguing prospects. With Wickline being named as a co oc, Texas needing a play caller and WR coach, I can see why Riley is receiving

fair consideration.

Groh's history as an OC and playcaller is far from great from his time at Virginia.

However, I'd take a chance on him because his recruiting can make up for it and also because he'd have a guy like Wickline and Watson with him to help him. I think Groh is one of the rising stars in the business and would be a major coup if we could hire him.

Groh's history as an OC and playcaller is far from great from his time at Virginia.

However, I'd take a chance on him because his recruiting can make up for it and also because he'd have a guy like Wickline and Watson with him to help him. I think Groh is one of the rising stars in the business and would be a major coup if we could hire him.

After giving this a lot of thought, I'd take Mike Groh over anyone out there except Morris and the guy from Oregon. We can win a NC within 4 years with the right quarterback. I think Groh gives us the best chance to get that special QB.

If we get Groh as WR coach, great. He's a top 5 recruiter in the industry and looks like a helluva WR coach to boot. But you absolutely do not hire OC's or DC's that aren't backed up by the HC's own competency in that area merely based on recruiting acumen. Aside from the HC himself, that will always be the most important hire on the roster. And Groh has not shown much at all in the way of being even a good OC. Maybe he will turn out to be one, but there's no reason for us to be the ones taking the risk on him at this juncture.

This is why we've kind of pigeon-holed ourselves with two subpar to abysmal recruiters on O in Watson and Chambers (unless he's taken off the field, as he should have been years ago, giving us an extra coaching slot to work with), a mediocre to good one in Robinson (Bobby Burton gave him a C recruiting grade, although I had heard he was better than that), and a good one (but not a guy used to going after big fish) in Wickline. Now the WR/OC/co-OC guy has to be both a rainmaker and an offensive genius.

RBs are productive largely based on natural instinct and talent, so that position coach is generally an ace recruiter. TE is obviously the least important coach on the team, and thus your rainmaker recruiter (Tim Brewster, Josh Henson at LSU, UT's false perception of Chambers) is often put there.

Kyle Shanahan makes some sense because regardless of his actual recruiting ability, he's played at Texas, knows the Texas landscape, and has a huge allure from being RG3's coach and play-caller at Washington. Lincoln Riley makes some sense as well based on position assignments, but I doubt he's ready to carry the load as a recruiter.

Here's what makes a SHIT TON of sense. Hiring a rainmaker like Groh or retaining Wyatt at WR coach, pushing Chambers out, and hiring Josh Henson (another one of the top recruiters in the country) to OC/TEs. We're particularly hamstrung at OC unless we combine WRs and TEs due to Watson being named QB coach, as most OCs are also the QB's coach. Though if we do combine WRs and TEs, the OC could just focus on the offense entirely and skip around to whatever position he wants.

I just don't see the Shanahan love...you get another man's initials tattooed on your leg?

Can't see how he is qualified as a "home run" hire.

Same for Groh, minus the tattoo.

Both are in their current positions based on who their dad's are...pretty sure that does not make you qualified to be a OC at Texas above Riley/Henson/Herman/Frost.

Edited by Hoekem

I just don't see the Shanahan love...you get another man's initials tattooed on your leg?

Can't see how he is qualified as a "home run" hire.

Same for Groh, minus the tattoo.

Both are in their current positions based on who their dad's are...pretty sure that does not make you qualified to be a OC at Texas above Riley/Henson/Herman/Frost.

Completely disagree with you on Groh. He's one of the best WR coaches in the biz. Go ask any of the Bear WRs. He is a major reason why Jeffery became as good as he was this year.

Now as far as him being OC with play calling duties, I'm not too sure about that. His history just does not suggest being ready for a job like this. I just want him somewhere on staff to recruit.

Of all the coaches, Kyle and Watson would have been my bottom 2. I don't think it's Shannahan. I think it's more like Riley or that there's serious negotiations going on in organizing a large buy out for an OC... Morris.

This is the only reason why I think it is taking so long.