Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Team Meeting

Darrell McPhaul

I don't think coaches like Watson and Wickline are dying to go work for some 30 year old kid that has never coached at a major D1 school. If Riley is the OC, that is the biggest head scratcher of the Strong era so far. Keeping Chambers is a close second.

I don't think coaches like Watson and Wickline are dying to go work for some 30 year old kid that has never coached at a major D1 school. If Riley is the OC, that is the biggest head scratcher of the Strong era so far. Keeping Chambers is a close second.

Wickline was working for a OC last year that never even coached in DIV I last year. Riley has a history that despite his age is actually really good. My guess is that Wickline may have a title of CO-OC or something to make him happy. Watson is happy to have a job, but I think he will be a good QB coach as well.

More info from AAS about Watson:

"A source close to the situation told the American-Statesman that Watson was introduced to the players but not as the quarterbacks coach.

“Nothing has been specified with what his role would be,” the source said. “There’s a lot of stuff still up in the air. Nothing’s happening. He hasn’t signed anything.”

The source also told the American-Statesman that Watson, 54, was being courted by four NFL teams to be their offensive coordinator.

Watson was the offensive coordinator at Colorado (2000-2005) and Nebraska (2007-2010) before landing at Louisville and guiding quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, believed by many to be a first-round draft pick this spring.

Since Watson took over Louisville’s play-calling duties in the middle of the 2011 season, the Cardinals had a 28-6 record.

Watson turned down the USC and Virginia Tech offensive coordinator jobs last year so he could stay and tutor Bridgewater. Watson initially stayed behind at Louisville to interview for the vacant head coaching position that ultimately went to Bobby Petrino.

“It was a lot closer than people think,” the source said, indicating Petrino wasn’t simply a slam-dunk hire by Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich."