Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lincoln Riley

tombabevo

I thought Id posted in this thread, but Ive seen a bunch of ECU covering C-USA. This is a good hire if it gets done. If you pair Riley with a solid defense, youre making money.

Cayleb Jones brother played there this year as a true freshman and was the teams #2 WR

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/151/east-carolina-pirates

ECU won 10 games this year, and the three losses all honestly surprised me.

They were blown out by Marshall, and it was just "one of those days". Carden threw 3 interceptions and they just never got anything going.

Carden also threw 3 picks against VT, and lost a fumble for a safety.

The loss to Tulane was just unacceptable.

One might be able to make the argument either way. Texas could be too large of a stage for him at this point in his career, or he could truly prosper here with a different kind of athlete that is available here that he did not have previously.

Either way, I'm excited about the NEW direction. There is a chance, and perhaps only a CHANCE that -2 yard WR screens that are blocked horribly on 3rd down and 8 might just be a thing of the past!

That makes me giddy!

Very interesting hire and would definitely be a risky hire given his age and lack of experience calling plays in BCS conferences. However, he is a guy everyone seems to rave about. He fits the O we are looking to run and he would be around a few years. Could allow for Watson to come aboard as QB coach. I would prefer to keep Wyatt and have Wickline be run game coordinator.

Burton said the team meeting is set for 5 so I'm assuming we will get word on the hire sometime tonight.

Very interesting hire and would definitely be a risky hire given his age and lack of experience calling plays in BCS conferences. However, he is a guy everyone seems to rave about. He fits the O we are looking to run and he would be around a few years. Could allow for Watson to come aboard as QB coach. I would prefer to keep Wyatt and have Wickline be run game coordinator.

Burton said the team meeting is set for 5 so I'm assuming we will get word on the hire sometime tonight.

ECU is a team (just football program not the entire school) that would fit just fine in most of the Power 5 conferences. Id consider a coaching hire from them on the same level as plucking an up and comer from a Texas Tech or a NC State type outfit. The concern is if its a Co-OC thing with Watson, they both run wildly different offenses. How does that one work exactly?

ECU is a team (just football program not the entire school) that would fit just fine in most of the Power 5 conferences. Id consider a coaching hire from them on the same level as plucking an up and comer from a Texas Tech or a NC State type outfit. The concern is if its a Co-OC thing with Watson, they both run wildly different offenses. How does that one work exactly?

Ok, tell me, what did Bob Stoops do in 1999?

A defensive minded coach hired a relatively unknown OC in Mike Leach.

Then went out and got a JC QB in Josh Heupel.

Throw in a Mark Mangino and in retrospect that worked out pretty well.

I think a nice blue print to consider.

Pick one guy.

Co anything is stupid and reeks of Mack who was co and assistant everything.

Edited by thirtyand0

I think if there were a Co OC role w Riley and Watson, Watson's job would be more to kind of reel the young OC in at certain times. Strong is a defensive minded coach so he may want someone on the offensive sd of the ball that will make sure things don't get too lose w the play calling. Just my guess. Watson's role would probably be to help w the polishing process w the QBs.

I like Watson as a QB Coach. I really dont have a problem with him as an OC here either. Strong's hires so far have really set him up not to fail. Wickline and Robinson are big time gets. There will be far more adult conversations going on in the game this year than guys fighting like last season.

Anything that keeps Watson away from Austin I am for.

Riley combined with Wickline is a grand slam. The air raid offense combined with a run game coordinator that has extensive work with incorporating it with the spread.

Riley in his first game as OC after Leach was dismissed buried Narduzzi's MSU defense in the Alamo bowl at the end of 2009.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>While Lincoln Riley is something of a prodigy at 30 years old, he would likely need help to marry Air Raid to a more physical run game.</p>— Wescott Eberts (@SBN_Wescott) <a href="

">January 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>ECU ranked No. 61 in rush S&P+ last year and averaged less than four yards per rush. Strong wants more out of run game than that.</p>— Wescott Eberts (@SBN_Wescott) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To Lincoln Riley's credit, his first ECU offense set 29 team or individual records at the school. How's that for a fast install?</p>— Wescott Eberts (@SBN_Wescott) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In looking at ECU run game, leading rusher, QB both averaged 5 or more yards per carry (excluding sack yardage). Pretty solid.</p>— Wescott Eberts (@SBN_Wescott) <a href="

Edited by Juan Grande