Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bruce Chambers

utisdabomb12

What a truly terrible and lazy hire. Chambers needs to be sent to some admin role like Rucker's. His position has been a monumental fail on every level. Recruiting, development, production. You name it and he gets an F. And it's not like Chambers is some kind of recruiting monster either. He was hired from the high school ranks when Mack arrived. He has few, if any, real ties left to the Texas HS coaches. He should have been the first coach let go when Mack left and replaced either by a competent coach or another coach from the high school ranks like Todd Dodge or Claude Mathis.

I heard he is being considered for the RB coaching job. He did "coach" Ricky to a Heisman, Hodges Mitchell to a 1100 yard season and Cedric Benson into the first round of the 2005 NFL draft. That said, I would prefer Larry Porter.

Chambers over Porter is epic fail. Porter is a better coach and recruiter.

What a truly terrible and lazy hire. Chambers needs to be sent to some admin role like Rucker's. His position has been a monumental fail on every level. Recruiting, development, production. You name it and he gets an F. And it's not like Chambers is some kind of recruiting monster either. He was hired from the high school ranks when Mack arrived. He has few, if any, real ties left to the Texas HS coaches. He should have been the first coach let go when Mack left and replaced either by a competent coach or another coach from the high school ranks like Todd Dodge or Claude Mathis.

I agree 100%, of all coaches on Mack's staff why keep Chambers. Bring in Brewster. Not only does he recruit with the best of them, but he actually knows how to coach the position. This is Strong's decision in the end, but I don't get it.

Not going to judge Chambers until we actually run an offense that utilizes our Tight Ends. I will say that our Tight Ends were pretty effective in blocking this year. Hard to judge a TE coach when the offense simply doesn't utilize the TE position.

You think we'd utilize the TE position more if the position actually could produce a player to be utilized. Who's in charge of developing the players? Chambers. Who's in charge of recruiting the position? Chambers. MJ McFarland looked like the kind of guy who could turn into a good TE and has never been developed. Ever. We have better luck moving failed OT's to TE to block than actually recruiting kids and developing them into pass catchers and weapons.

If I remember correctly, Strong said that the OC would get 100% control over that side of the ball. Maybe he's just keeping everybody around until he knows who will be the OC? I could imagine that if Herman became OC, he would tell Strong who he would like to keep and who he wanted out.

The fact that we maybe threw only 5 passes this year in the direction of a tight end, tells me it has more to do with schemes over development. Hell, even if our TE's aren't developed there's still a benefit to utilizing them in the passing game to open up the field. If you think Chambers has failed merely because of development, you are sorely mistaken. Texas hasn't even tried to utilize the TE position for a while now. If I recall one of the reasons Saban wasn't sold on Applewhite, was his lack of utilizing the tight end in the passing game.

Based on his success with running backs, he's shown that he can coach when his players are utilized in the system.

Kind of hard to argue with any negative comments here. However' date=' Chambers does still have Dallas connections and maybe that's why Strong is keeping.[/quote']

His connections aren't strong there anymore. The people he coached with or against have all long since retired or moved on. If we want someone with Dallas connections, let's go get Claude Mathis. Or Todd Dodge.

Better yet, why not go get a high school coach with Houston connections. That's actually where we need more of a presence. We recruit Dallas just fine. We are getting worked in Houston by aggy and LSU.

Chambers being retained in an on-field capacity is a good indication of how critical recruiting is in talent rich Dallas County, and how important Chambers is to maintaing Texas' presence there. We're finally a big recruiting presence in Dallas, something Texas wasn't able to establish before Chambers started recruiting the area for us.

Excuse me but how many of you have actually been close enough to the program to make an informed statement about chambers ability to coach? I will say personally I don't know. There was a lot of talk about Mack stifling a lot of the coaches abilities w his meddlesome ways. If you're going to infer about the his ability to develop a player based on the te position I'd argue that you can only develop players that aren't overly talented to a certain place. The te position is not skilled at UT. That points to an issue in recruiting, but also it points to the fact that the postion largely had little interest in coming to the school. The tes that are on campus actually have blocked well. I find it funny many of you get so upset about every move that is made in this staff selection process. I have never assembled a coaching staff, so I will defer to Coach Strong. He has been at this coaching thing a little longer than most of us..as much as you may want him to, Coach Strong is not going to run his hires by the msg boards for approval.

Well said, Davharjac. I am trying to be nice here, but Chambers was also the TE coach when we had Bo Scaife, David Thomas and Brock Edwards. Nobody was complaining about him then.

I am going to stop with that because if I get into it with one of the negative moderators here then I'll be banned and this is kind of a fun free site once you wade through all the whining.

Calling this a "lazy hire" is a bit naive.

Strong felt there was a reason to keep him. Let's see how it plays out.

Christ, some of you won't be happy until Strong hires the #1 coach in the country at every position.

This isn't Chambers under Mack; this is Chambers under Strong. There's no guarantee it's going to be the exact same.

Well said' date=' Davharjac. I am trying to be nice here, but Chambers was also the TE coach when we had Bo Scaife, David Thomas and Brock Edwards. Nobody was complaining about him then.[/quote']

Maybe so, perhaps it was the scheme later under Davis. I think someone's signature line a while back was "what does a TE coach do in a spread offense?".